The Student Room Group

Calls for Oscar boycott over lack of non-white nominees

Scroll to see replies

Idris was incredible in Beasts of No Nation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Silver Arrow
ITT: white people pretend to be victims. OFC there's a problem. I bet the people who have no problem with this also think that racism doesn't exist.

If people would stfu about skin colour then maybe one day racism might actually disappear. Except it is constantly brought up in some form or another.
Original post by drbluebox
Its the double standards of politcal correctness, no matter what people will never be happy, if roles are created just to fill a quota its wrong, if the best actor for a role just happens to be white then to include a ethnic person is actually offensive.

Its creating problems when problems aren't there.

By the way white is a colour too.

The best actor should get nominated, be they white, black, pink, yellow, orange whatever, or male, female, alien whatever.

Modern political correctness is just picking and choosing, no one bats an eyelid at things like MOBA despite it existing being basically racist.

1) White wasn't a colour when people were segregated for being 'coloured' and it's not a colour for the purpose of referring to people of colour.

2) There clearly is a problem. White people aren't some holy grail of talent superior to others in acting.

3) MOBO is for the celebration of black artists, which is needed because other awards fail to celebrate the achievements of black people sufficiently, as demonstrated by the lack of diversity in the Oscar nominations.

4) You can't be racist to white people, white people benefit because of their skin colour. Reverse racism is not a thing. Of course you can be prejudiced, however racism would mean that white people suffer at the hands of society, based on institutional and systemic factors, which is simply not true.
It IS a problem because even as a poc it's hard to get main roles that doesn't involve you being a slave or a samurai or whatever. Even from the e-mails leaked last year you can see that casting directors want people who are white and straight. Also where they even any asians nominated for anything? They probably have the least amount of representation in Hollywood unless it's for stereotypical nonsense.

POC are real (ikr, hard to believe!!!) and we deserve as much representation as white people get.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
If people would stfu about skin colour then maybe one day racism might actually disappear. Except it is constantly brought up in some form or another.

Ah yes of course, It's so simple isn't it? You know the UN would kill to hire someone with amazing insight like yours. You could singlehandedly bring an end to all world conflict.
Original post by Silver Arrow
Ah yes of course, It's so simple isn't it? You know the UN would kill to hire someone with amazing insight like yours. You could singlehandedly bring an end to all world conflict.

So all conflict in the world is caused by skin colour?
Original post by xxAminah
No black or minority actors have been nominated in the four acting categories for this year's Academy Awards. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and Black members make up about 2% of the Academy, and Latino members less than 2%.

Boone Isaacs praised the "wonderful work" of the nominees but said she was "heartbroken" at the lack of diversity.

Elba starred in the Netflix film Beasts of No Nation :

He wrote: "To my Academy colleagues, WE HAVE TO DO BETTER. Period. The reason the rest of the world looks at us like we have no clue is because in 2016 it's a complete embarrassment to say that the heights of cinematic achievement have only been reached by white people. I repeat - it's embarrassing. It's unfair to the performers of colour who sacrificed so much, laid it all on the line AND DELIVERED with their projects this year."

I think it's stupid and their were amzaing Black actors this year who should have been picked and What do you guys think ?

Put it back in the deck.
I think it's quite clear to see that the make up of the Oscar committee is far from representative, and is an issue that must be highlighted. The vast majority of voters are white males over the age of sixty,and whether intentionally or not, are no doubt biased when it comes to nominating. I've seen quite a few of the nominated films, and agree that some of the nominations are well deserved, however I'm absolutely surprised that Idris Elba was not nominated for his performance in Beasts Of No Nations, which I think is one of,if not the best film of 2015-an opinion echoed by critics and film reviewers. There are many other non-white artists who played incredible parts,as actors,directors and producers alike.
I'm sure many of you would like to believe that there simply weren't many ethnic artists deserving of a nomination, but to me that's rather simplistic and naive.

Also, the lack of main roles filled by minorities is an issue in itself. Over 30% of the US population is non white, yet more common than not the only time you'll see non white people cast as a lead is when a stereotype of their ethnicity is being exploited. You'll always see a black person play the funny/street/slightly violent character etc..
(edited 8 years ago)
It's hard to prove whether this was actually because of racism or if this is just going to cause forced diversity
Racist double standards at their finest, cause "OscarsSoWhite" isn't racist but "OscarsSoBlack" would be? When people stop judging/belittling others by the colour of their skin and instead judge them by their individual merit, i.e. how good an actor they are, then maybe we might get past racism.
Original post by ionically
1) White wasn't a colour when people were segregated for being 'coloured' and it's not a colour for the purpose of referring to people of colour.

2) There clearly is a problem. White people aren't some holy grail of talent superior to others in acting.

3) MOBO is for the celebration of black artists, which is needed because other awards fail to celebrate the achievements of black people sufficiently, as demonstrated by the lack of diversity in the Oscar nominations.

4) You can't be racist to white people, white people benefit because of their skin colour. Reverse racism is not a thing. Of course you can be prejudiced, however racism would mean that white people suffer at the hands of society, based on institutional and systemic factors, which is simply not true.

To number 4.

So if I lived in Africa or another majority black Country I could then face racism? After all, society with its institutions would be skewed to favour the native coloured people, thereby producing inequality for people not of that colour.

Or is Africa a racism free zone?
(Is South Africa just a anomaly then with politicians propagating killing white people? - oh I know these people deserve it for what their grandfathers did)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's sad becasue the films with black leads last year were really good.
I'm not surprised becasue the people who select who gets nominated are mostly white men so it makes sense that there could be a slight bias. Besides black/Latino actors were nominated for golden globes this year so it doesn't mean that ethnic minorities can't act.
There are lots of actors that I think should have gotten oscars for their performances but they didn't. It's just one of those things. An academy award isn't a 100% indicator of someone's acting prowress. After all Leonardo Di Caprio has never won an Oscar.

Also kudos to all the people who took this thread as an opportunity to air their pathetic white victimhood sentiments.
(edited 8 years ago)

Lack of diversity? What even is that ridiculous phrase? Do you ever stop and think that there is individual diversity within racial groups? So maybe some white people actually have individual merits that can be appreciated and not that all white actor are the same? Why do you still focus on the colour of someones skin when deciding achievement?

and LOL at 4), yes any person of any race can be racist, don't give me any of this "power + prejudice" rubbish. A prejudice is a prejudice, and one based off of someone's skin colour is racism.
I have mixed feelings about this.

Modern Western society really does start off with the assumption that rich White male achievement is the product of privilege and anyone else's lack of achieving is due to the former group oppressing them. Given the success of Black people in music and acting, I do find it very hard to believe there is a conscious effort to keep White people on top.

At the same, it would not surprise me if there was an issue with roles being written in a way where the lead actor/actress is White creating some sort of selection bias.
(edited 8 years ago)
Boycotting would be pathetic Stop playing the victim card. If you weren't nominated you weren't good enough.
Original post by childofthesun
Irregardless,.

Did not read past this, please correct.
Original post by Scrappy-coco
To number 4.

So if I lived in Africa or another majority black Country I could then face racism? After all, society with its institutions would be skewed to favour the native coloured people, thereby producing inequality for people not of that colour.

Or is Africa a racism free zone?
(Is South Africa just a anomaly then with politicians propagating killing white people? - oh I know these people deserve it for what their grandfathers did)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not about the skin colour that the majority of the population possesses. Even in Africa, after its colonial history, white skin is hailed as superior. It's also the same in many Asian countries - people choose to lighten their skin because being lighter and being beautiful are (wrongly) seen as interlinked.

Obviously nobody should be judged based on their skin colour. Do you have any sources of politicians propagating this hate speech against white people? I'm genuinely interested, I know nothing of this. Obviously there are extreme racial tensions in South Africa, and there are various groups where racial prejudice is at the core of their beliefs, but it's not government-elected officials (nor people running for office) with these ideals to my knowledge.
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I don't understand why this is an issue. What has a person's race got anything to do with getting nominated for an Oscar. Getting nominated for an Oscar should be based on talent and acting ability.

I agree with your sentiment but clearly there are a few PoCs who deserve oscars for their performances. You can't deny this.
The Golden Globes and SAG gave nominations to the PoCs that clearly deserved to be nominated. And the films last year with black leads were highly critically acclaimed and judged to be some of the best films of the year.

What the Oscars are implying is that there simply were no black/Latino actors of merit last year when that simple isn't true.
Original post by Ayyylmaoo
Lack of diversity? What even is that ridiculous phrase? Do you ever stop and think that there is individual diversity within racial groups? So maybe some white people actually have individual merits that can be appreciated and not that all white actor are the same? Why do you still focus on the colour of someones skin when deciding achievement?

and LOL at 4), yes any person of any race can be racist, don't give me any of this "power + prejudice" rubbish. A prejudice is a prejudice, and one based off of someone's skin colour is racism.

Lack of *racial diversity, which should be clear given the topic of this thread. Not all white actors/actresses are the same, likewise for PoC. It's just that PoC aren't even being given the chance to showcase their individual talents because of societal factors that unfairly benefit white people.

Just because segregation and slavery are over, it doesn't mean that racism is. If you're white, perhaps you've deluded yourself into thinking it is - which completely demonstrates that you're more privileged than other races BECAUSE of your skin colour, as it's a factor you never even have to consider. Centuries of deeply ingrained racism and colonialism cannot be overturned in a mere half a decade.

To your last point, I'm not doing to debate with someone who doesn't choose to educate themselves on such important issues, but okay - continue being a part of the problem, buddy.
1]

Thats a joke right? of course you can be racist to white people.

And I am sure me growing up in poverty barely able to eat (my parents went without) whilst I had Asian and black people in my year at school who had the latest gadgets and went to good unis means I am more priviledged even though even my school put me down as I was from a council estate stating "you will never make anything of yourself" despite giving free extra lessons for the middle class students who were a mix of ethnicities.

And how a friend went to a area which over the years has become more ethnic to have people come out of the streets as they were shocked to see a white face.

And I am not an exception.

So white people are never called things like "crackers" Black men never call white women their "hos"

Racism is racism no matter your "colour" and white people can be racist to white people just as black people can be racist to black people, my own African flatmate (I was called racist in the past on here for calling her African despite thats what she called herself lol) talked about her Nigerian ex flatmate who was racist to her and the white flatmates, like she told me she cleaned the kitchen once and the Nigerian woman came in and went "oh you cleaned the white peoples dishes up but not mine, you are a racist" Im sure my flatmate even said she was told she was racist towards black people as well despite being black herself.

Where were you and others when I grew up in poverty wanting to fight for me? Or as a straight while male do i not count as I am default "priviledged" reminds me of quite a few conversations I had with females at uni who claimed that as women they had it harder then men automatically, this was middle class females who could afford the latest phones, clubbing multiple times a week, never were short of cash and when asked if they had it worse than a homeless male they claimed yes!

The point is the politically correct people never look too far for the real problems in the world, im sure people homeless on the streets have it worse than a rich black person, or a middle class women but few fight for them.

People with mental health issues barely get anything if at all because its not cool to think about that, hey in fact mental health gets demonised as people being murders and violent quite often, wheres the poltical correctness for that?

Lack of *racial diversity, which should be clear given the topic of this thread. Not all white actors/actresses are the same, likewise for PoC. It's just that PoC aren't even being given the chance to showcase their individual talents because of societal factors that unfairly benefit white people.

Just because segregation and slavery are over, it doesn't mean that racism is. If you're white, perhaps you've deluded yourself into thinking it is - which completely demonstrates that you're more privileged than other races BECAUSE of your skin colour, as it's a factor you never even have to consider. Centuries of deeply ingrained racism and colonialism cannot be overturned in a mere half a decade.

To your last point, I'm not doing to debate with someone who doesn't choose to educate themselves on such important issues, but okay - continue being a part of the problem, buddy.

So its ok to go on about white priviledge (which is basically you being racist) yet anything else is racist towards ethnics.

Double standards.

Maybe white people win because theres more in the industry therefore more chance of a white winner.

You are racist as you seem to think anything that doesn't benefit a ethnic group is racist towards them.

Either that or trolling.

Maybe you should educate yourself before you tell others too and stop blaming everything on racism.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending