The Student Room Group

Teachfirst then Medicine

Teachfirst is a charity organisation looking at social mobility. You can do a training programme for two years and obtain a PGCE after graduation with them. But, you work in schools which fulfil certain criteria with many students on free school meals etc.

They recently popped down to southampton talking about their development programme. You can do a taster in your first year, then a week long programme later on and then once you graduate you can work in a socially deprived school (secondary and primary but I'm more inclined towards the former)

I had some questions from a medics perspective:

1. When would be the best time to take a break to do this? After graduation or after foundation years?

2. Would this be a massive disadvantage for practising when you get back. Like, would you forget things because you aren't practicing?

3. Would this be a massive disadvantage for obtaining speciality training once getting back?

I love teaching :smile: but I also love medicine and I thought this would be a good way to mix the two.

Mel
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mel1312
Teachfirst is a charity organisation looking at social mobility. You can do a training programme for two years and obtain a PGCE after graduation with them. But, you work in schools which fulfil certain criteria with many students on free school meals etc.

They recently popped down to southampton talking about their development programme. You can do a taster in your first year, then a week long programme later on and then once you graduate you can work in a socially deprived school (secondary and primary but I'm more inclined towards the former)

1. When would be the best time to take a break to do this? After graduation or after foundation years?

2. Would this be a massive disadvantage for practising when you get back. Like, would you forget things because you aren't practicing?

3. Would this be a massive disadvantage for obtaining speciality training once getting back?

I love teaching :smile: but I also love medicine and I thought this would be a good way to mix the to.

Mel

Why not do a masters in medical education? I don't mean to be harsh but teachfirst is a charity, aimed at recruiting teachers who are going to stick around and be teachers. Is it not a bit unfair to take a place from someone who wants to be a teacher, if you're just going to go back to medicine afterwards?
There are lots of different ways to get in to education via medicine, I just don't think teachfirst is one of them.
Original post by Mel1312

I love teaching :smile: but I also love medicine and I thought this would be a good way to mix the two.

Mel

Or is this a way of exploring other career options in light of the current way medics are being screwed?
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
Why not do a masters in medical education? I don't mean to be harsh but teachfirst is a charity, aimed at recruiting teachers who are going to stick around and be teachers. Is it not a bit unfair to take a place from someone who wants to be a teacher, if you're just going to go back to medicine afterwards?
There are lots of different ways to get in to education via medicine, I just don't think teachfirst is one of them.

That is true :smile: I think that was one of my reservations but the lady explained to me that you have quite a few decades to practice medicine so having using a few years to be a teacher would be an option if I wanted.

Sorry this sounds really naive but is medical education more geared towards lecturing and teaching solely from that capacity?
Reply 4
Or is this a way of exploring other career options in light of the current way medics are being screwed?

Haha definitely not! Teachfirst helped me to get into uni and I really admire what they do. Ultimately medicine (I am a first year I suppose so things may change) is where I want to be but I suppose being told it as option was exciting but I just wanted a medics perspective if it was a realistic option or if I should get over it.

I also note the selfishness point. So many things to consider!
Original post by Mel1312
That is true :smile: I think that was one of my reservations but the lady explained to me that you have quite a few decades to practice medicine so having using a few years to be a teacher would be an option if I wanted.

Sorry this sounds really naive but is medical education more geared towards lecturing and teaching solely from that capacity?

I'm not too up on taking years out from medicine (hopefully some of the wiser medics will be along shortly) but I don't know how easy it would be to come back after years out.

Yes, medical education is aimed towards teaching medics and medical students. A lot of people do it as a part time masters whilst working. Some medical schools also hire junior docs as teaching fellows for a year, so that would be one good way to combine the two.
Original post by Mel1312
Haha definitely not! Teachfirst helped me to get into uni and I really admire what they do. Ultimately medicine (I am a first year I suppose so things may change) is where I want to be but I suppose being told it as option was exciting but I just wanted a medics perspective if it was a realistic option or if I should get over it.

I also note the selfishness point. So many things to consider!

Also it may be worth considering a PGCE if teaching is really what you want to do in the end. Its only a year, if you ended up wanting to return to medicine.

Its always worth considering future options, but a lot can change in 5 years. I'd say focus on medicine for now and see what the landscape is like once you finish.
Reply 7
Also it may be worth considering a PGCE if teaching is really what you want to do in the end. Its only a year, if you ended up wanting to return to medicine.

Its always worth considering future options, but a lot can change in 5 years. I'd say focus on medicine for now and see what the landscape is like once you finish.

Thank you for the advice ForestCat :smile: I think it's difficult as I really engage in outreach and teaching so don't want to leave that side behind but medicine is what I really want to do.
Original post by Mel1312
Thank you for the advice ForestCat :smile: I think it's difficult as I really engage in outreach and teaching so don't want to leave that side behind but medicine is what I really want to do.

Does your medical school do things like Teddy bear hospital? I'm sure there are ways to engage in outreach programmes during med school!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending