The Student Room Group

I don't understand this formula?! (2n+1)π/2

Like how can I use it? what is 'n' in this case?!
Reply 1
Original post by Adorable98
Like how can I use it? what is 'n' in this case?!

Basically means if you want a root of cosine, you substitute any value of n into the equation
Reply 2
Original post by Andy98
Basically means if you want a root of cosine, you substitute any value of n into the equation

Could you please give me an example?:smile:
Reply 3
Could you please give me an example?:smile:

If you wanted the second root, you'd do ((22)+1)π2=3π2 \frac{((2*2)+1)π}{2}=\frac{3π}{2}

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98
If you wanted the second root, you'd do ((22)+1)π2=3π2 \frac{((2*2)+1)π}{2}=\frac{3π}{2}

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, thank you.
Reply 5
I see, thank you.

Yeah, should be 5 not 3, my bad:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

The roots of the cosine curve you drew are the points where it intersects with the X-axis. These turned out to be: -3PI/2, -PI/2, PI/2, 3PI/2
So the pattern of these roots is: (2n+1)PI/2
when n=-2: the root is ((2*-2)+1)PI/2= -3PI/2
when n=-1: the root is ((2*-1)+1)PI/2= -PI/2
when n=0: the root is ((2*0)+1)PI/2= PI/2
when n=1: the root is ((2*1)+1)PI/2= 3PI/2
Since the cosine curve is periodic, it will keep following the same shape forever, and so will keep crossing the X-axis many more times. So it has an infinite number roots (and not just 4), and has to be written in the general form (2n+1)PI/2.
:smile:
Reply 7
Note that n is a whole number, though that's probably obvious
Reply 8

All that it's saying is that the roots of cosθ\cos \theta which are the solutions to the equation cosθ=0\cos \theta = 0 occur at odd multiples of π2\frac{\pi}{2}. So they could occur at 1 multiple of π2\frac{\pi}{2} or 3 multiples 3π23 \cdot \frac{\pi}{2} or 5 multiples, or -3 multiples or -101 multiples etc... as just odd multiples of π2\frac{\pi}{2}.

Quick Reply

Latest