n f(2n + 1) = (2n+1)(f(n) +n) for all n>= 1
prove that f(n) is always an integer.

This isnt HW or anything I just suck at proofs
Reply 2
Original post by tweetybiiiiird20
This isnt HW or anything I just suck at proofs

What have you tried so far?
Reply 3
Are you familiar with proof by strong induction?
Reply 4
Original post by Kurren

Let's not suggest methods until the OP's at least shown they've put in some thought of their own...
Original post by DFranklin
What have you tried so far?

since f2(n) is double f(n) for all n from 1
2f(1) = f(2) = 2
2f(3) = f(6)
I expanded out the second part (which I probably should have and got integers apart from f(n) / n which I couldn’t prove is divisible. Another thing I was trying was perhaps if I substitute for f(n) in the second line to get f(2n)/2
nf(2n+1) = (2n+1)(f(2n)/2 + n)
nf(2n+1) = (nf(2n) + 2n^2 + f(2n)/2 + n)
nf(2n+1) = (2nf(n) + 2n^2 + f(n) + n)
Should I equate and go from there?
sorry for the long reply I’ve just been trying everything
Original post by Kurren

I know how to use proof by induction but I’ve never tried it in this context :frown: is there a difference between induction and “strong” induction?
Reply 7
since f2(n) is double f(n) for all n from 1
2f(1) = f(2) = 2
2f(3) = f(6)
I expanded out the second part (which I probably should have and got integers apart from f(n) / n which I couldn’t prove is divisible. Another thing I was trying was perhaps if I substitute for f(n) in the second line to get f(2n)/2
nf(2n+1) = (2n+1)(f(2n)/2 + n)
nf(2n+1) = (nf(2n) + 2n^2 + f(2n)/2 + n)
nf(2n+1) = (2nf(n) + 2n^2 + f(n) + n)
Should I equate and go from there?
sorry for the long reply I’ve just been trying everything

You seem to have the bones of what you want to prove, but its not very clear. A few things Id do/think about
1) work out f(1), f(2), f(3), f(4), f(5), f(6)... that can help make clear what you want to prove (and maybe how to go about it)
2) Youve identified that f(n) being divisble by n is a key part of the proof. If you did some form of inductive argument, what would you be showing? How would you go about it
3) The induction/strong induction distinction is relatively simple. Induction is to assume true for N then show N+1. Strong induction is to assume true for all <=N, then show N+1. Hopefully 1) and 2) would indicate which would be the most use here.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 8
Just to add to the post above: instead of using induction, a fairly common pattern for a question like this is to use a particular form of proof by contradiction:

"Suppose it's not true. Pick N to be the *smallest* value for which it fails." and then show that it can't fail for N without there being a smaller values for which it fails.

[Thus is basically equivalent to strong induction, but I often find it somehow feels more natural].
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by DFranklin
Just to add to the post above: instead of using induction, a fairly common pattern for a question like this is to use a particular form of proof by contradiction:

"Suppose it's not true. Pick N to be the *smallest* value for which it fails." and then show that it can't fail for N without there being a smaller values for which it fails.

[Thus is basically equivalent to strong induction, but I often find it somehow feels more natural].

I dont really get this though. just because it doesnt fail for n = 1 how do i know it won't fail for larger n?
Reply 10
I dont really get this though. just because it doesnt fail for n = 1 how do i know it won't fail for larger n?

Did you do an inductive proof? If so, the "reverse" would be to do something like an infinite descent proof
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_infinite_descent
So assume f(2n), f(2n+1) is not an integer, what does that mean for f(n)? You could then make the argument that you iterate back to f(1)=1 or make the argument that 2n or 2n+1 was the first term which was not an integer in order to get a contradiction.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 11
I know how to use proof by induction but I’ve never tried it in this context :frown: is there a difference between induction and “strong” induction?

Have a look on YouTube at what strong induction is, then come back to your proof. It’s different from regular induction.

Quick Reply

Latest