The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry Revision Squad!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PlayerBB
What do you mean by the amount of water like the volume or the number of moles of water that can be removed ? If the number of moles, then it is 0.1 moles, because 5.55g of anhydrous CaCl2 is used, it Mr is 111, the number of moles of CaCl2 is 0.05, the moles ratio of the CaCl2 to water is 1:2 so the number of moles of water used 0.1 which is the number of moles that will be removed from the organic liquid

It just says 'amount of water'... but it's okay I think I've got it now thanks :smile:
What do you mean by the amount of water like the volume or the number of moles of water that can be removed ? If the number of moles, then it is 0.1 moles, because 5.55g of anhydrous CaCl2 is used, it Mr is 111, the number of moles of CaCl2 is 0.05, the moles ratio of the CaCl2 to water is 1:2 so the number of moles of water used 0.1 which is the number of moles that will be removed from the organic liquid

It's almost certainly moles as it's a bit of a hassle to convert into a volume, and also moles is the SI unit for the amount of substance
Original post by samb1234
It's almost certainly moles as it's a bit of a hassle to convert into a volume, and also moles is the SI unit for the amount of substance

Yeah, that's what I thought!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Please could someone explain this too :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bump :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

0.9/3 not 0.9/2.1 . It's like if you had 10 sweets and eat 5, the percentage isn't 5/5 =100% it's 5/10 =50% so you need to divide by how much there is at the start
Original post by samb1234
0.9/3 not 0.9/2.1 . It's like if you had 10 sweets and eat 5, the percentage isn't 5/5 =100% it's 5/10 =50% so you need to divide by how much there is at the start

Right, thanks
Reply 186

has anyone done the enthalpy change isa for AS Chem AQA?

Original post by K3001N

has anyone done the enthalpy change isa for AS Chem AQA?

Do you mean the required prac? If so then yeah :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
With the calcium sulfide lattice structure, why are the sulfide ions larger than the calcium ions when calcium has a larger relative atomic mass? Please help :biggrin:
Original post by jack.lp.thompson
With the calcium sulfide lattice structure, why are the sulfide ions larger than the calcium ions when calcium has a larger relative atomic mass? Please help :biggrin:

Think about the number of electrons and the charge.
Original post by kiiten
Think about the number of electrons and the charge.

Wouldn't the number of electrons be the same? (same as argon) I don't understand why the sulfide ion would be larger. Please explain :smile:
Wouldn't the number of electrons be the same? (same as argon) I don't understand why the sulfide ion would be larger. Please explain :smile:

For calcium yes. Can you use the periodic table to find out what charge the sulfide and calcium ions will have? - (sorry im new to this 'helping people' thing so im trying to help without telling you the answer :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha don't worry about it. And well as it is Ca2+ and S2-, wouldn't two electrons be lost/gained from each element causing them both have the same electron configuration as argon? (20-2=18) (16+2=18)??? So confused! haha :biggrin: . Please could just tell me why the sulfide ion is bigger?? :O aha
Haha don't worry about it. And well as it is Ca2+ and S2-, wouldn't two electrons be lost/gained from each element causing them both have the same electron configuration as argon? (20-2=18) (16+2=18)??? So confused! haha :biggrin: . Please could just tell me why the sulfide ion is bigger?? :O aha

Well, sulfur is more electronegative than calcium due to trends in electronegativity increasing across the period and up the group. If you have studied electronegativity you will know that this is from nuclear charge, atomic radius etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok. That makes sense now. Thanks :smile:
What's the name of this compound?
- Just for reassurance
1458982558568.jpg

Spoiler

What's the name of this compound?
- Just for reassurance
1458982558568.jpg

Spoiler

ermmm.. I get N-methylethylphenylamine?? probs wrong :/
Original post by haj101
ermmm.. I get N-methylethylphenylamine?? probs wrong :/

But why N- , I was thinking also tho like methylethylphenylamine but then I thought like they're connected to N atom and not to the benzene ring so I got confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile
But why N- , I was thinking also tho like methylethylphenylamine but then I thought like they're connected to N atom and not to the benzene ring so I got confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah true... im SO sorry i got confused with naming N-substituted amides (when we use N-). I think you are right:h:
Original post by haj101
Aaah true... im SO sorry i got confused with naming N-substituted amides (when we use N-). I think you are right:h:

It's okay and I think you use the N only when acyl chloride react with amines then it will form N-substituted amides

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest