The Student Room Group

Learning techniques

Anyone know the best way to revise for a levels such as computer science, biology and chemistry?
And does anyone have any good revision tips?
Original post by IMGaming
Anyone know the best way to revise for a levels such as computer science, biology and chemistry?

I do biology and I find making flashcards and doing lots of practise questions is the best way to revise. I use online flashcards so I can't lose them and they are then all together (I use StudySmarter). A lot of practise questions I get from my school but also doing past papers can be helpful. Hope this helps 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I do biology and I find making flashcards and doing lots of practise questions is the best way to revise. I use online flashcards so I can't lose them and they are then all together (I use StudySmarter). A lot of practise questions I get from my school but also doing past papers can be helpful. Hope this helps 🙂

thank you soo much i will definitely try study smarter.
Original post by IMGaming

Hi @IMGaming,

I did Biology and Chemistry for A-levels as well, and from experience I would highly recommend drilling past papers. Although this seems like a no brainer, try maximise this technique by:
- Revise the content
- Attempt the paper in timed conditions
- Mark the paper and read the examiners report

Identify the areas you need to improve on and revise those topics. If you feel the revision is sufficient, you can try re-attempt the paper, or topical questions.

A pattern I found throughout biology past papers is the similarity of questions. You might also find it useful to write down the big mark questions on a flashcard, and write the answers in memorable bullet points on the back of it. Flashcards are also useful for memorising biological processes and mechanisms. In terms of chemistry, for inorganic you would be required to be familiar with calculations so do practice some past paper questions covering those. Whereas for organic chemistry, you would be required to have a good understanding of organic mechanisms and naming organic compounds. There are many videos online highlighting these mechanisms.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @IMGaming,

I did Biology and Chemistry for A-levels as well, and from experience I would highly recommend drilling past papers. Although this seems like a no brainer, try maximise this technique by:
- Revise the content
- Attempt the paper in timed conditions
- Mark the paper and read the examiners report

Identify the areas you need to improve on and revise those topics. If you feel the revision is sufficient, you can try re-attempt the paper, or topical questions.

A pattern I found throughout biology past papers is the similarity of questions. You might also find it useful to write down the big mark questions on a flashcard, and write the answers in memorable bullet points on the back of it. Flashcards are also useful for memorising biological processes and mechanisms. In terms of chemistry, for inorganic you would be required to be familiar with calculations so do practice some past paper questions covering those. Whereas for organic chemistry, you would be required to have a good understanding of organic mechanisms and naming organic compounds. There are many videos online highlighting these mechanisms.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Thank you soo much i will definitely try this.

Quick Reply

Latest