The Student Room Group

Engineering Graduate Job 2016- Starting Salary

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel9998
So you are basically agreeing with me. Universities like Imperial and Cambridge would have higher starting salaries in the engineering industry than a graduate from Teesside for example.

Yeah but that doesn't mean anything. I was saying that a person who goes to imperial or Cambridge tends to be more intelligent than someone from Teeside and that's why they get chosen for good jobs. The employer does not really care about the university. A student from Teesside or whatever could still get that same job if they were good students and had potential. The university's starting salary only shows how good the students that go there tend to be on average- there are plenty of engineers from Cambridge who aren't that good and won't be hired and there are plenty of engineers from less reputable universities who are good and will get good jobs. It's not the university that gets you the job. However, someone from a REALLY bad uni (LMU, Wolverhampton) probably won't get a good job even if they are good engineers.
Well yes of course but a Cambridge grad would more likely get the BP offer than an Abereen grad. Therefore Cambridge students would more likely end up at higher paying jobs

Lol, no. Engineering firms aren't as elitist as you think they are...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but that doesn't mean anything. I was saying that a person who goes to imperial or Cambridge tends to be more intelligent than someone from Teeside and that's why they get chosen for good jobs. The employer does not really care about the university. A student from Teesside or whatever could still get that same job if they were good students and had potential. The university's starting salary only shows how good the students that go there tend to be on average- there are plenty of engineers from Cambridge who aren't that good and won't be hired and there are plenty of engineers from less reputable universities who are good and will get good jobs. It's not the university that gets you the job. However, someone from a REALLY bad uni (LMU, Wolverhampton) probably won't get a good job even if they are good engineers.

He gets it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is not me but I was asked to post

Degree: MEng (First) Swansea University
Salary: £35k (3 years in the company)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, no. Engineering firms aren't as elitist as you think they are...

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep 100% on the ball don't get why anyone's arguing otherwise.

Engineering firms literally give no ****s about where you went to uni lol.
Original post by Trapz99

Yes I understand that it isn't the university name that gets the job. Im just saying that Cambridge grads are more likely to get a higher starting salary in the engineering field than a lower university because of the reasons you have said. Also some universities have more links to the industry and provide more support in securing a work placement than others so are more likely to get the higher paying better jobs. Yes there are plenty of engineers from Cambridge who arent that good but it would be a much lower percentage of students when compared to other universities.
Your starting salary depends on which company you work for (which will probably be in line with the industry as a whole) primarily, and also your qualifications (some companies offer a little bit extra to MEng/MSc graduates compared to BEng ones).

The starting salary as reported on Unistats which comes from the DLHE survey includes all starting salaries, not just ones obtained from engineering.

But if anything, it's universities in Scotland, particularly Aberdeen and RGU, that have disproportionately the highest salaries due to the amount of graduates from there going into oil & gas (although this could change soon).
If people disagree with me then I'm more then happy to get off TSR and we can go outside and solve this like real men
If people disagree with me then I'm more then happy to get off TSR and we can go outside and solve this like real men

Ok let's go boy

I swear you live in Croydon too lol
Bear in mind people that if you had stuck to answering the question posed in the thread, some of these things you are arguing/ theoreticizing about would have been clarified :wink:
Original post by Trapz99
Ok let's go boy

I swear you live in Croydon too lol

haha indeed I do :smile:
Original post by applicant3345
Which Engineering field?

Vaguely remember her BF working in technology, as a software engineer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which Engineering field?

Software engineering. I was told to say those starting this year are on £28k if that helps.

Vaguely remember her BF working in technology, as a software engineer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He hasn't been my bf in a long time and it was defense, now avionics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15

He hasn't been my bf in a long time and it was defense, now avionics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fairs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. Is it possible to get into software engineering with Electrical and Electronic Engineering?

100% yes. You'll need to learn how to programme first, dabble with a few side projects. Also, brush up on some CS theory like algorithms and data structures. Software engineering as a field is entirely possible to break into from a lot of degrees if you put in the work. EEE is probably the most close Eng discipline to CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is the Uni of Manchester and the Uni of Nottingham perceived for EEE?

Both great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
This will actually be a really useful thread if people contribute as stated in the OP, I'm currently about to enter a negotiation phase and have a good idea of a figure but this will help further of course :smile:
Reply 37
100% yes. You'll need to learn how to programme first, dabble with a few side projects. Also, brush up on some CS theory like algorithms and data structures. Software engineering as a field is entirely possible to break into from a lot of degrees if you put in the work. EEE is probably the most close Eng discipline to CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It IS the closest engineering degree to computer science. It's no problem at all to become a software dev with such a degree in your pocket. Easily one of the most versatile degrees out there. During my degree we used MATLAB, Assembly, C, Verilog and Python. That's quite a wide range covered. Sets you up pretty good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Any ideas on progression salary for the first 5 years on average? Do engineering salaries rise in the uk after the first 5 years?
Reply 39
Original post by Youngman2012
Any ideas on progression salary for the first 5 years on average? Do engineering salaries rise in the uk after the first 5 years?

If you do an MEng and become chartered within that period, you'll get a very nice salary bump. You will in most cases get a ~1-3k bump every year, with a lot more when you become chartered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending