The Student Room Group

World Twenty20 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

I don't really understand why we performed so badly throughout the tournament. We smashed Australia at home earlier in the year, came back against SL, and then easily won the Asia Cup, but throughout this tournament we were nowhere near our best. Kohli was the standout, obviously, and our bowlers were good (especially Nehra and Bumrah), but Ashwin and Jadeja were a disappointment, and the batting was farcical. I genuinely don't understand. We should have gone to Rahane earlier in the tournament, and maybe Dhoni should have promoted him ahead of Raina in some of the matches too, considering Raina hasn't been in great form recently. I am a fan of Raina's and he is still pretty young, but he still struggles against the short ball and he can't play on a tricky pitch.

Bumrah and Nehra have been massive positives, let's be honest. The fielding was pretty good throughout, barring one game when we dropped catches (Bangladesh?) and Virat Kohli really showed his class and cemented his spot as the best limited overs player in the world.
Original post by BrokenLife
I AM DEAD. I don't even know Mushiqfur but already love him...he is so jokes but tis one is something else!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ikr :rofl: He had to delete it in the end :p: But I mean come on! He only posted it because he's such a HUGE Indies fan :wink: Need to cut the guy some slack.

To be fair they are pretty great!
Reply 922
Original post by moment of truth
I don't even know how. His bowling hasn't been great all tournament and he hasn't batted well either. He had that one game against Bangladesh, but we didn't really win because of his bowling in the final over, it was cause of the Bangladeshi batsmen.

He has some talent, and will probably play for India for a while, but he needs to improve and become a smarter player. Bumrah has been much better than him.

Bumrah will relish that wicket of Gayle for years and years to come, I imagine.

That was his first ball to Gayle in international cricket - and he got him with it. Extremely impressive going.

I don't really understand why we performed so badly throughout the tournament. We smashed Australia at home earlier in the year, came back against SL, and then easily won the Asia Cup, but throughout this tournament we were nowhere near our best. Kohli was the standout, obviously, and our bowlers were good (especially Nehra and Bumrah), but Ashwin and Jadeja were a disappointment, and the batting was farcical. I genuinely don't understand. We should have gone to Rahane earlier in the tournament, and maybe Dhoni should have promoted him ahead of Raina in some of the matches too, considering Raina hasn't been in great form recently. I am a fan of Raina's and he is still pretty young, but he still struggles against the short ball and he can't play on a tricky pitch.

Bumrah and Nehra have been massive positives, let's be honest. The fielding was pretty good throughout, barring one game when we dropped catches (Bangladesh?) and Virat Kohli really showed his class and cemented his spot as the best limited overs player in the world.

It's a weird one.

I can't really pinpoint what went wrong for India - aside from the lack of batting quality, other than Kohli/Dhoni. Even then, though, they had enough to advance to the semi-finals. I think what cost them against the Windies was ill-discipline with the ball (Jadeja bowling up half-volleys for the Windies' batsmen) and a poor strike rate.

Kohli was exceptional - scoring more runs than the rest of the Indian top five put together - but he was also guilty yesterday of batting too slowly. Likewise, Rahane was the right call, but he was there with the instruction (presumably) of anchoring the innings and he failed to score quickly. He'd have been better giving 15 balls to Dhoni, who has a superior SR.
Original post by Mackay
Bumrah will relish that wicket of Gayle for years and years to come, I imagine.

That was his first ball to Gayle in international cricket - and he got him with it. Extremely impressive going.

It's a weird one.

I can't really pinpoint what went wrong for India - aside from the lack of batting quality, other than Kohli/Dhoni. Even then, though, they had enough to advance to the semi-finals. I think what cost them against the Windies was ill-discipline with the ball (Jadeja bowling up half-volleys for the Windies' batsmen) and a poor strike rate.

Kohli was exceptional - scoring more runs than the rest of the Indian top five put together - but he was also guilty yesterday of batting too slowly. Likewise, Rahane was the right call, but he was there with the instruction (presumably) of anchoring the innings and he failed to score quickly. He'd have been better giving 15 balls to Dhoni, who has a superior SR.

Agreed completely. Bumrah has been an exceptional find for India. He can bowl yorkers at the death and can also swing the new ball.

Yeah, but realistically, we only made it to the semis because of Bangladesh faltering in that final over. Considering Jadeja was having a rubbish day, I don't understand why Dhoni didn't go to Ashwin instead.

Yeah, Rahane's job was to anchor the innings, as you said, and then as soon as he tried to hit big, he got out. Rohit batted decently yesterday, too, but not enough for his failures earlier in the tournament.

Dhoni had a pretty good tournament, as captain and batsman. He wasn't so great yesterday with his bowling options (in my opinion), but his uncanny bowling changes is what makes Dhoni so different. He didn't have that much to do with the bat, but when he got his chance, he did decently. He should bat at number 4 for India in both ODIs and T20I.
Reply 924
Agreed completely. Bumrah has been an exceptional find for India. He can bowl yorkers at the death and can also swing the new ball.

Yeah, but realistically, we only made it to the semis because of Bangladesh faltering in that final over. Considering Jadeja was having a rubbish day, I don't understand why Dhoni didn't go to Ashwin instead.

Yeah, Rahane's job was to anchor the innings, as you said, and then as soon as he tried to hit big, he got out. Rohit batted decently yesterday, too, but not enough for his failures earlier in the tournament.

Dhoni had a pretty good tournament, as captain and batsman. He wasn't so great yesterday with his bowling options (in my opinion), but his uncanny bowling changes is what makes Dhoni so different. He didn't have that much to do with the bat, but when he got his chance, he did decently. He should bat at number 4 for India in both ODIs and T20I.

Dhoni's captaincy yesterday was questionable - a few odd decisions on selecting the bowler, but he has impressed me this tournament. He should have turned to spin when Pandya was leaking runs in the middle portion of the Windies innings, in my opinion, and there's no way Kohli should have bowled at the death. That was suicide.

He says that the dew was a factor of not deploying Ashwin - and that's fair enough, I guess. If the ball wasn't gripping well, that seems a sensible decision. I wasn't close enough to the pitch to assess the conditions.

It seems strange he gave Jadeja the 19th over rather than Ashwin, though. Jadeja conceded 48 in 4 overs, for Christ's sake.

Dhoni can definitely feel aggrieved himself, though, having seen his bowlers let him down with the seemingly constant no-ball deliveries, and overstepping that mark time and time again.

I think potentially making two changes for the semi-final affected India. They went through the group stage with an unchanged XI, after all. Two changes for the match perhaps upset the apple cart a bit. Fair enough, Pandey had to replace Yuvraj - but was Rahane replacing Dhawan too much?
Original post by Mackay
Dhoni's captaincy yesterday was questionable - a few odd decisions on selecting the bowler, but he has impressed me this tournament. He should have turned to spin when Pandya was leaking runs in the middle portion of the Windies innings, in my opinion, and there's no way Kohli should have bowled at the death. That was suicide.

He says that the dew was a factor of not deploying Ashwin - and that's fair enough, I guess. If the ball wasn't gripping well, that seems a sensible decision. I wasn't close enough to the pitch to assess the conditions.

It seems strange he gave Jadeja the 19th over rather than Ashwin, though. Jadeja conceded 48 in 4 overs, for Christ's sake.

Dhoni can definitely feel aggrieved himself, though, having seen his bowlers let him down with the seemingly constant no-ball deliveries, and overstepping that mark time and time again.

I think potentially making two changes for the semi-final affected India. They went through the group stage with an unchanged XI, after all. Two changes for the match perhaps upset the apple cart a bit. Fair enough, Pandey had to replace Yuvraj - but was Rahane replacing Dhawan too much?

Definitely. Kohli bowling at the death was stupid. Really stupid.

That is fair, but Ashwin is better than Jadeja, so if you can give Jadeja 4 overs, then your senior and premier bowler should have 4 overs too. Dhoni normally has a lot of faith in Ashwin, but recently it seems otherwise :redface:

Yeah, the no-balls are what disappointed and upset me the most. Bowling one is bad, but bowling two is terrible, especially against a player that is smashing it to all parts. Even then, it was a really good innings, and Simmons took his chances.

Maybe, I guess having played Dhawan throughout the tournament, it might have been better to stick with him, but Rahane came in and played well. Gave us a good start and ran hard with Kohli during the middle.
Reply 926
x

Thoughts on team of the tournament?

It's hard to look past an opening four of Gayle, Roy, Kohli, Root.
Original post by Mackay
Thoughts on team of the tournament?

It's hard to look past an opening four of Gayle, Roy, Kohli, Root.

Will give it on Sunday after the final, but yeah that top 4 looks the most likely. Although, apart from his innings against England, Gayle hasn't performed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrokenLife
I AM DEAD. I don't even know Mushiqfur but already love him...he is so jokes but tis one is something else!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, it's because India were given the game against Bangladesh, I guess he was venting his frustration :p: It's all just banter though :u:

I now confirm this :colonhash:
Original post by Mushfiqur Rahim
ha ha ha!!

this guy.. lmfao
Reply 930
My Team of the Tournament with obvious exclusion of Final- as much for impact as stats

Sharjeel Khan - Been standout in poor Pakistan side

Roy - Giving England some blistering starts when chasing

Shahzad - been a breath of fresh air and was influential in getting his side to Super 10's then helping them be competitive

Kohli - Well Kohli's been superb even as Windies fan had to applaud his knock last night aswell as against Aussies

Buttler - provided breathtaking final flourishes for Englanf probs the difference in ENG V SL

Mathews - Been tidy when he has bowled and played imo the 2nd best knock of this WT20 after Kohli v Aus, given that SL's Semi final hopes were on his shoulders in his knock v England

DJ Bravo - Maybe Bias but think hr has been unlucky with the ball and deserved to have gotten more wickets with his canny changes of pace

Amir - Bowled with plenty of skill and verve in an otherwise one dimensional attack

Bumrah - Really enjoyed watching him bowl, swings the ball and clever bowler too.

Badree - Has ensured that we've never got off to awful start with ball by bowling tight lines. The fact Narine has barely been mentioned shows how good a job he's done.

I Tahir - Class T20 spinner probs the best leg spinner in Limited overs cricket atm
Reply 931
Definitely. Kohli bowling at the death was stupid. Really stupid.

That is fair, but Ashwin is better than Jadeja, so if you can give Jadeja 4 overs, then your senior and premier bowler should have 4 overs too. Dhoni normally has a lot of faith in Ashwin, but recently it seems otherwise :redface:

Yeah, the no-balls are what disappointed and upset me the most. Bowling one is bad, but bowling two is terrible, especially against a player that is smashing it to all parts. Even then, it was a really good innings, and Simmons took his chances.

Maybe, I guess having played Dhawan throughout the tournament, it might have been better to stick with him, but Rahane came in and played well. Gave us a good start and ran hard with Kohli during the middle.

Not necessarily the right choice but I'd guess that Jadeja was chosen because of how flat he bowls - Dhoni potentially hoping it would limit Windies ability to him out the ground whereas Ashwin relys more on flight so he would have been vulnerable to Russell particularly.

But not leaving a proper seamer to bowl the 19th or 20th over was silly. I understand bowling one of Nehra or Bumrah but bowling both out with 2 overs to go didn't help India
Reply 932
Will give it on Sunday after the final, but yeah that top 4 looks the most likely. Although, apart from his innings against England, Gayle hasn't performed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm trying to pre-empt him delivering a match-winning innings in the final, to be honest.

Original post by JoJo9

Sharjeel Khan - Been standout in poor Pakistan side

You make decent cases for everybody else, but surely you can't put Sharjeel in your XI of the tournament. His 47 and 30, against NZ and Australia respectively, were impressive knocks. But they weren't enough to get Pakistan over the line.

Great players can drag their team by the scruff of the neck and win them a match. Look at Gayle against England on the opening day.
Reply 933
To be fair the way that Pakistani side played maybe only Gayle (on a good day) and/or Kohli could have saved them. Although can see a case for Root over Sharjeel but Sharjeel stuck out to me because he done it ad part of a struggling team (both with the bat and the ball with exception of Amir).

But accept that he has not played a match winning knock although innings like Roy's v SA were only matchwinning due to other contributions - although admittedly Roy's innings was more devasating than Sharjeel's
Reply 934
Original post by JoJo9

But accept that he has not played a match winning knock although innings like Roy's v SA were only matchwinning due to other contributions - although admittedly Roy's innings was more devasating than Sharjeel's

I've been really impressed by Roy, as an Englishman. I've seen what he has done for Surrey and been really impressed, but he's gone some way to stepping out of KP's shadow in this tournament.

By all accounts, he owes KP a lot. KP has trained him and rubbed off on him and, despite my disliking of Pietersen, it's clear he is a role model for Roy (as a SA-born English talismanic batsman).

Roy has been great in this tournament: 183 runs from 121 balls at a strike-rate of 151, and that match-winning semi-final total against NZ.
Sharjeel was a positive and in the opening role in T2Os, his scores will help provide a platform for the rest of his batting comrades to truly f it up. Besides Amir, Sarfaraz, Sharjeel, Shah (when he returns), it's difficult to see positives for Pakistani cricket atm.
Reply 936
Original post by Mackay
I've been really impressed by Roy, as an Englishman. I've seen what he has done for Surrey and been really impressed, but he's gone some way to stepping out of KP's shadow in this tournament.

By all accounts, he owes KP a lot. KP has trained him and rubbed off on him and, despite my disliking of Pietersen, it's clear he is a role model for Roy (as a SA-born English talismanic batsman).

Roy has been great in this tournament: 183 runs from 121 balls at a strike-rate of 151, and that match-winning semi-final total against NZ.

Yep I remember going to a T20 game at The Oval in 2014 and he really impressed me not only hitting domestic bowlers out the ground but also Mitchell McClenaghan. Was able to create the kind of buzz around the ground that mostly comes with the best T20 players and/or innings.

I'll say it in hush tones but if England keep struggling to find opening partner for Cook in Tests could Roy be England's David Warner in the future? Come about in limited overs and eventually become quick scoring, successful Test batsmen
Reply 937
Original post by JoJo9
Yep I remember going to a T20 game at The Oval in 2014 and he really impressed me not only hitting domestic bowlers out the ground but also Mitchell McClenaghan. Was able to create the kind of buzz around the ground that mostly comes with the best T20 players and/or innings.

I'll say it in hush tones but if England keep struggling to find opening partner for Cook in Tests could Roy be England's David Warner in the future? Come about in limited overs and eventually become quick scoring, successful Test batsmen

Strike Rate of over 80 in First Class Cricket and Averages over 37 so not too shabby for someone mostly known for his Limited Overs game
Original post by JoJo9
Not necessarily the right choice but I'd guess that Jadeja was chosen because of how flat he bowls - Dhoni potentially hoping it would limit Windies ability to him out the ground whereas Ashwin relys more on flight so he would have been vulnerable to Russell particularly.

But not leaving a proper seamer to bowl the 19th or 20th over was silly. I understand bowling one of Nehra or Bumrah but bowling both out with 2 overs to go didn't help India

On pitches that don't offer any turn Jadeja is pretty substandard. He is good when he gets a bit of turn cause he varies his pace well and bowls good lines, but he is too one-dimensional when the pitch offers nothing. What you say is true, but as Ashwin is the premier bowler, I would have still preferred him to bowl more. The dew was obviously a factor, too.

Completely agree.
Very impressed with West Indies. Feel proud :h:

Quick Reply

Latest