The Student Room Group

The Best Anime for a Beginner!

It was only a matter of time before I jumped on the bandwagon of Anime, and what better place to start than here :smile:

So, I haven't seen an anime show before in my life, not even Pokeman or the really hyped mainstream ones...anyway...

I want to see what the fuss is about, seeing as everyone (or the majority of my friends at school) is always talking about it. What anime would you suggest I watch as a beginner. I am completely new to this world so I would appreciate some help :redface:

I'm looking for something scare, or funny. I am NOT interested in anything involving magic or weird pokeman related animal things...:dontknow: Someone suggested Tokyo Ghoul, but one of my friends said that I shouldn't start with that.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I started with Sword Art Online - not the best, and doesn't fit your criteria, but definitely did the job of getting me into Anime :cute:

I don't see why you shouldn't start with Tokyo Ghoul :yep:

That or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I think that would be an excellent starting point.
I was an anime watcher for about 5 or 6 years so I know a bit about what's out there

best shounen:
dragon ball z (my first animes and definitely a great first watch)
yu yu hakusho
one piece
berserk
naruto
rurouni kenshin
gundam wing (endless waltz)

best comedy:
great teacher onizuka
golden boy
cromartie high school
ranma 1/2
lucky star

best alt/other:
death note
cowboy bebop
evangelion
trigun
excel saga
kare kano
One of my favourite anime series is psycho pass and I think it would be good for a beginner since it's quite 'western' and also easy to get into. I would describe it as action/ mystery. It's so good but not many have seemed to have watched it. Another really popular one is deathnote, again it's mystery/ suspense, there are a few funny parts. If you want a full list of recommendations I believe danisnot on fire and amazing Phil have both made anime recommendations videos :smile:
All anime is bland because some of the concepts are overused and it's honestly overrated as hell lol
Naruto, it's great for people who are just starting out and it's story is great too. If you watch it, watch the dub the characters are more understandable that way.
Reply 6
:redface: there are loads:

Spoiler

Naruto is the cliché option, and was indeed my first anime. Bleach would be a reasonable option, as would FMA: Brotherhood (probably my favourite) or even Attack on Titan. Death Note is something a lot of people enjoy so if you like the sound of the concept you can start with that.

I rarely ever watch anime so that's the best I can offer :lol:
Original post by ByronicHero
Naruto is the cliché option, and was indeed my first anime. Bleach would be a reasonable option, as would FMA: Brotherhood (probably my favourite) or even Attack on Titan. Death Note is something a lot of people enjoy so if you like the sound of the concept you can start with that.

I rarely ever watch anime so that's the best I can offer :lol:

I wouldn't say bleach was a good start in my opinion - it takes a very long time to truly begin which will put quite a few people off...and FMA is okay with it pacing but I wouldn't say it was beginner-material. sadly, naruto actually is quite good for beginners in that the pacing isn't too dragged out or too fast-moving. death note is quite good too as a potential beginning series, but with DN, it doesn't really give you a good impression of anime in general (in my opinion).
I finally gave anime a try, and started with "death note". Try that, it's really good!
Death Note or Attack on Titan! You can also try dragonballz or FMA, future diary is pretty good too.
Death note seems popular, I think I saw a few scenes on 9gag...

urm

@k.m.b What's Exorcist Blue like, that sounds right up my alley
Reply 12
start with future diary

you will never be the same person again

actually uno wat start with sword art online

you'll never be the same either
Original post by BubbleBoobies
I wouldn't say bleach was a good start in my opinion - it takes a very long time to truly begin which will put quite a few people off...and FMA is okay with it pacing but I wouldn't say it was beginner-material. sadly, naruto actually is quite good for beginners in that the pacing isn't too dragged out or too fast-moving. death note is quite good too as a potential beginning series, but with DN, it doesn't really give you a good impression of anime in general (in my opinion).

Bleach has cool fights which is what I look for to be honest, but you are right about the pacing. I think FMA is an excellent beginner option though - I don't know a single person who didn't enjoy it, including several who had never watched any other anime before. Naruto is the best option, but it is so long and the filler arcs are pretty tedious. It is fun to guess the twists though and they are not too hard to guess a lot of the time so you feel smart for getting them right :lol:
Original post by homeland.lsw
It was only a matter of time before I jumped on the bandwagon of Anime, and what better place to start than here :smile:

So, I haven't seen an anime show before in my life, not even Pokeman or the really hyped mainstream ones...anyway...

I want to see what the fuss is about, seeing as everyone (or the majority of my friends at school) is always talking about it. What anime would you suggest I watch as a beginner. I am completely new to this world so I would appreciate some help :redface:

I'm looking for something scare, or funny. I am NOT interested in anything involving magic or weird pokeman related animal things...:dontknow: Someone suggested Tokyo Ghoul, but one of my friends said that I shouldn't start with that.

Spoiler

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. Translates to daily lives of highschool boys. Each episode has several short story skits and its hilarious. I wouldn't start with Tokyo Ghoul. Main character can be a bit annoying to listen to and it pretty much replaces magic with demonic protusions coming out of a ghouls back.

There isn't really any scary anime out their. "Horror" anime tend to be just violent. Closest to horror I've seen is Another but its horrendously violent due to some of the ways people die in it.

Do not start with any anime that have the annoying af cliche of incredibly long fights. One of these is DBZ, me summing up fights in it: muscled up topless guys for several hours (not even kidding) mostly shouting grunting noises, punching at each other for a few minutes, lose, punch again, lose, few more times, then win.

Also don't watch SAO (AT ALL) or No Game No Life as a starter. No Game was weird af and 3 minutes in there is a cameltoe of a *cough* minor *cough*, somehow people thought this was a good anime. SAO is pure **** and really I'm not going into detail at about it because I hate loads about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Death note seems popular, I think I saw a few scenes on 9gag...

urm

I've read most of the manga for death note. First half the story was amazing though like some of these strange story anime/manga which are really good for the first half they lose it in the second half. It's also one of those anime which is pretty good in the dub, some of the characters sound hilarious with some lines in the english dub.
Original post by Vikingninja
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. Translates to daily lives of highschool boys. Each episode has several short story skits and its hilarious. I wouldn't start with Tokyo Ghoul. Main character can be a bit annoying to listen to and it pretty much replaces magic with demonic protusions coming out of a ghouls back.

There isn't really any scary anime out their. "Horror" anime tend to be just violent. Closest to horror I've seen is Another but its horrendously violent due to some o the ways people die in it.

Do not start with any anime that have the annoying af cliche of incredibly long fights. One of these is DBZ, me summing up fights in it: muscled up topless guys for several hours (not even kidding) mostly shouting grunting noises, punching at each other for a few minutes, lose, punch again, lose, few more times, then win.

Also don't watch SAO (AT ALL) or No Game No Life as a starter. No Game was weird af and 3 minutes in there is a cameltoe of a *cough* minor *cough*, somehow people thought this was a good anime. SAO is pure **** and really I'm not going into detail at about it because I hate loads about it.

No, I'm not interested in fights anyway, thanks for the heads up...

Also SAO stands for?
No, I'm not interested in fights anyway, thanks for the heads up...

Also SAO stands for?

Sword Art Online. It's about people getting trapped in a VR MMO.. but is basically a fantasy anime with an MMO skin. Poorly written and just pure ****.

I wouldn't watch tokyo ghoul if you don't like anime with fights because they are a bit violent.

ok i'll give you a brief overview...

Spoiler

its about Rin (son of satan) who inherits satan's powers ( he has the power to set himself on fire into blue flames that can destroy almost anything) and then stuff happens and then Rin decides to become an exorcist :h:

Spoiler

hmmm highschool dxd?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest