The Student Room Group

I’m a current high school student who will soon be pursuing a degree in Computer Scie

I’m relatively adept at coding, at least for a high school student. I’m building Unity projects and using Arduino’s code platform to create programs using their systems. Are there any best practices to take on and worst practices to avoid, or just general advice for someone like myself to be successful?
Original post by Shihai-sha
I’m relatively adept at coding, at least for a high school student. I’m building Unity projects and using Arduino’s code platform to create programs using their systems. Are there any best practices to take on and worst practices to avoid, or just general advice for someone like myself to be successful?

The key things beginner coders are typically bad at are documenting your code (in line comments, a header block, sensible variable names, written notes and block diagrams), version control (don't mod a working code, call it version 3.2, archive it, make a copy named 3.3, mod that) and using well defined test problems (e.g fit to an analytical function) to prove the code does what you expect. After that, add in "sensitivity analysis" make small well defined changes to code inputs and make sure it doesn't do something stupid suddenly. Best of luck 😁
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
The key things beginner coders are typically bad at are documenting your code (in line comments, a header block, sensible variable names, written notes and block diagrams), version control (don't mod a working code, call it version 3.2, archive it, make a copy named 3.3, mod that) and using well defined test problems (e.g fit to an analytical function) to prove the code does what you expect. After that, add in "sensitivity analysis" make small well defined changes to code inputs and make sure it doesn't do something stupid suddenly. Best of luck 😁

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending