The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths 6th June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

You are given that theta (which I'll show as () )is an acute angle....
Sin() = root5

Find the exact value of tan ()

I spent ages trying to use inequalities, and then ended up leaving it out and not understanding the mark scheme.
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Sin() = root5

I spent ages trying to use inequalities, and then ended up leaving it out and not understanding the mark scheme.

@Zacken can help with that. :biggrin:

By the way, did you mean sinθ=5\sin\theta=\sqrt{5} up there, or did you mean to include the 3 in the equaton?
Reply 82
Sin() = root5

Original post by TheOtherSide.
@Zacken can help with that. :biggrin:

By the way, did you mean sinθ=5\sin\theta=\sqrt{5} up there, or did you mean to include the 3 in the equaton?

Thanks for the tag. BTW, sinθ=5\sin \theta = \sqrt{5} isn't possible since sin\sin is bounded between in [1,1][-1,1]. :tongue:

As for the original poster, draw a right angled triangle. Label one of the angles θ\theta. Label the opposite side 5\sqrt{5}, label the hypotenuse 33; so sinθ=opphyp\sin \theta = \frac{\text{opp}}{\text{hyp}} and then find the adjacent using pythagoras and hence tanθ=oppadj\tan \theta = \frac{\text{opp}}{\text{adj}}.
Original post by Zacken
Thanks for the tag. BTW, sinθ=5\sin \theta = \sqrt{5} isn't possible since sin\sin is bounded between in [1,1][-1,1]. :tongue:

Oh yeah. :doh:

No problem! :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken

As for the original poster, draw a right angled triangle. Label one of the angles θ\theta. Label the opposite side 5\sqrt{5}, label the hypotenuse 33; so sinθ=opphyp\sin \theta = \frac{\text{opp}}{\text{hyp}} and then find the adjacent using pythagoras and hence tanθ=oppadj\tan \theta = \frac{\text{opp}}{\text{adj}}.

I get it now, I never remember to draw a triangle. And soon as you mentioned it, I understood. Thanks!
Reply 85
I get it now, I never remember to draw a triangle. And soon as you mentioned it, I understood. Thanks!

No problem.
Reply 86
Not too scared for this exam, got 90 in my mock.
Did everyone here take their maths gcse in year 10 then?
Original post by gs41299

Well, I didn't - I'm doing both GCSE maths and the FSMQ this year, but I think I'm mostly focusing on additional maths anyway. How about you?
Reply 88
Well, I didn't - I'm doing both GCSE maths and the FSMQ this year, but I think I'm mostly focusing on additional maths anyway. How about you?

I did gcse maths in year 10 and got an a*, got 95% overall
Original post by gs41299

Woah, that's really good. Congrats on that grade!

I'm guessing you'll be taking both Maths and FM next year?
Reply 90

Sorry about this i sound soo big headed :smile:
Reply 91
Woah, that's really good. Congrats on that grade!

I'm guessing you'll be taking both Maths and FM next year?

No only maths, along with three sciences. Was debating on doing FM and taking 5 but thats way too much
Original post by gs41299

I did, a bit meh about FSMQ mainly because I have two other exams that day but it should be fairly easy, I've done loads of past papers
Original post by gs41299
Sorry about this i sound soo big headed :smile:

Nah, that's fine - you were basically stating facts. :dontknow:

And you shouldn't hide an achievement like that. :tongue:
Original post by gs41299

i did gcse math in year 10 aswell (last year). I got 90%:h:
Original post by gs41299
No only maths, along with three sciences. Was debating on doing FM and taking 5 but thats way too much

If you're planning on doing four full A-levels, that's still a lot. :lol:

Spoiler

Reply 96
Original post by gs41299

I'm doing my GCSE and fsmq this year. I'm pretty much doing 95% additional and 5% gcse, since the gcse should be simple. :biggrin:
Reply 97
If you're planning on doing four full A-levels, that's still a lot. :lol:

Spoiler

My school makes us do 4 minimum
Original post by gs41299
My school makes us do 4 minimum

Okay, wow that's harsh. Our school's saying that four A levels are the maximum.
I'm doing this exam, unfortunately it clashes with another exam (General Studies, which is also an extra subject I'm doing). I have no plans to revise for either GCSE maths or fsmq, except learning the kinematics equations - anyone have some good ways to remember them? I can only remember v=u+at :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending