The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry Revision Squad!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peppercrunch
Is doing every past paper multiple times a bad idea or not?
I've currently done 7 past papers so far in chronological order for my Chemistry Unit 1 resit, and I've only done them once.

Yep it's a good idea, hopefully you should see progress every time you repeat the paper (keep a tab on what marks you get).
Highlight the ones your unsure about and focus on them. :smile:
Can someone here help someone who is hopeless at chemistry?

I got a C in a chemistry mock I did 2 months ago,and since then I'd worked so hard, I've been memorising the content and practising past paper questions and multiple choice questions but I did the specimen mock last week and I got a D!

Am I just not good at chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
Nope. The 2 is redundant.

You don't call ethanol "ethan-1-ol" do you?

Yes, sometimes...
Reply 523
Original post by nomophobia

I got a C in a chemistry mock I did 2 months ago,and since then I'd worked so hard, I've been memorising the content and practising past paper questions and multiple choice questions but I did the specimen mock last week and I got a D!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not so! Specimens are crap tbh, real pprs are not like those so don't worry and keep working hard, revise past papers the night before exams and read your revision guide a week before exams.
The best way to do past paper is that whenever you get stuck on a question, leave it over there and open your book and read the topic thoroughly and then answer your question!
Trust me you'll learn much faster than you expect! x)
Original post by nomophobia

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a U in my Chemistry AS Mock. Partly because I didnt put the time into understanding chemistry and was lazy when it came to revision.
Thought Chemistry wasnt cut out for me.

Ended up getting an A* in Chemistry at Alevel.
Now studying it at a very well respected University, in my 2nd year and I'm on a solid first. On track to do my PhD (hopefully)

If you work hard and put the time in you will surprise yourself.
However putting the time in is key, you must put the hours in otherwise you'll be disappointed when it comes to results day.

Good luck with everything.
Original post by Science_help
Lets see who gets this right.
No using google or textbook btw.

What temperature does diamond melt at ? nearest 100

3700 I think

I think it's vapourised at 4800
Original post by Aimen.
It's not so! Specimens are crap tbh, real pprs are not like those so don't worry and keep working hard, revise past papers the night before exams and read your revision guide a week before exams.
The best way to do past paper is that whenever you get stuck on a question, leave it over there and open your book and read the topic thoroughly and then answer your question!
Trust me you'll learn much faster than you expect! x)

So I've been told but getting a D isn't doing much for my confidence, my grades have plummeted recently and chemistry was the last straw because I had genuinely worked hard for it unlike my other subjects and I still failed :colonhash:

And that's actually a great idea! I never thought to do that, will be doing that later on this week

Thanks!

Original post by Cobalt_
I got a U in my Chemistry AS Mock. Partly because I didnt put the time into understanding chemistry and was lazy when it came to revision.
Thought Chemistry wasnt cut out for me.

Ended up getting an A* in Chemistry at Alevel.
Now studying it at a very well respected University, in my 2nd year and I'm on a solid first. On track to do my PhD (hopefully)

If you work hard and put the time in you will surprise yourself.
However putting the time in is key, you must put the hours in otherwise you'll be disappointed when it comes to results day.

Good luck with everything.

Wow, I would never have thought that. I get what you mean about needing to put in the hours but I'm really struggling to balance my time because I'm currently putting in all my hours for my history and maths exams this week and it will be the same next week. :s-smilie:

Thank you! Although I've lost all faith in myself by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a question it asks 'suggest a suitable temperature range over which to collect the ester'. in the data the boiling temperature of the ester is given as 142C. Heres what the markscheme says:

IMG_20160517_023013.jpg i am confused what to write as the answer. Should 140-144c be ok? Or should i write both start and end as a range like exactly written in the markscheme . i am also unsure what they mean by reject 'single temperature'
Reply 528
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Yes, sometimes...

Well that's incorrect. The whole point of naming a compound is to unambiguously express what its structure is in the most concise form.
Original post by thebrahmabull
In a question it asks 'suggest a suitable temperature range over which to collect the ester'. in the data the boiling temperature of the ester is given as 142C. Heres what the markscheme says:

IMG_20160517_023013.jpg i am confused what to write as the answer. Should 140-144c be ok? Or should i write both start and end as a range like exactly written in the markscheme . i am also unsure what they mean by reject 'single temperature'

Before purification, the product was less pure, so the boiling temperature will be lower by maximum 10 degrees sk from 185 to 201

And after purification, the product is purer so the boiling temperature will be higher and lower than the sharp b.p by max 2 degrees so from 199-201

By single temperatures, he means, don't pit likr 185 put a range e.g from 185 to 201
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone got the F324 / F325 OCR Chemistry past papers/MS from June 2015? If so, could you please send them?
Thanks in return :smile:
Can someone please help me work out the splitting pattern for 2,3 dichlorobutane?

It says that it should be one quartet and one doublet...Can someone please explain this.
I understand that there will only be two splitting patterns since there are only two different environments, but I don't get how to work out the patterns.

Thanks
I have ocr 2015 f324
Will swap for Ocr f325 paper 😀😀😀😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pm me with ocr f325 paper
Please send it and hopefully you will get an a* !!
Please :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got the June 2015 AQA unit 4 and unit 5 papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FemaleBo55
I was looking for a Chemistry Revision Thread but there were not any so I decided to make one :wink:

Feel free to ask questions regardless of your exam board (because chemistry is chesmitry), and we'll all be happy to answer
hey question here........
Compound X changes the colour of warm acidified sodium dichromate(VI) from orange to green.
1 mol of X reacts with 2mol of HCN in the presence of KCN.
What could X be?
A)CH3CH2CH2CHO
B)CH3COCH2COCH3
C)H2C=CHCH2CHO
D)OHCCH2CH2CHO
I have ocr 2015 paper and mark scheme for all chemistry units so pm me if u need them people
Do you think we need to remember ores like Bauxite or Galena for the actual exam?
Oh and I have no idea how chemical equations work. Confundles me every time.
Original post by Glavien
Has anyone got the June 2015 AQA unit 4 and unit 5 papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're on the website.

Quick Reply

Latest