The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

OCR Chemistry A Exam Dates

H032/1 Breadth in chemistry 1 h 30 min Fri 27 May am
H032/2 Depth in chemistry 1 h 30 min Fri 10 June pm

Hey, I'm not sure if someone has made an exam thread for the OCR Chemistry A exam for AS or yr 1 so I thought I should make one since I can't find one.

So far, with the amount of things we know about the exam structure I'm not sure if I should make one for both papers so I just combined them both.

I'm gonna look up some resources soon but this are some of the basics I've used (Will update once I find new ones):

http://www.docbrown.info/page19/OCR_GCE_chem_AS_2015.htm

Specs:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171750-specification-accredited-as-level-gce-chemistry-a-h032.pdf (AS)

Sample Materials - Specimen Papers, etc. - Check out BREADTH and DEPTH only - Unified is for Year 2

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h032-h432-from-2015/ (@Fabthelion )

Second Set of Practise Papers

Sorry guys had to take this down to prevent cheating in mock season

Suggested:

revision website www.technocratnotes.com (by @nickg15b)

good revision apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB (by @nickg15b)

https://chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/ (by @SGHD26716 )

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-chemistry/ (by @lovelyqueen )

Notes:
Summary of Practicals (@Clintbarton)
Just a few questions to start things off:
-How far are you in the curriculum?
-Have you done the sample papers in the website?
-Do you have any advice for the others?

Update!

-Just added some links to notes in this thread. Some people are kinda skipping some really helpful resources so I thought I should arrange it during break. If you guys didn't want your post/link on OP just tell me. I just wanted to make the links more visible to new people. Cheers
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

At the moment we've just started Alkanes (4.1.2). Really hope we get through all the organic chem quickly.

Haven't done any sample papers yet, I'm saving them for later. I have done a couple F321 past papers, trying to do around 90% of all the papers for F321 and F322.

Hmm, I suck at giving advice but I might as well share what I'm planning to do over the coming weeks. First things first, I plan on getting all my notes written up. Then get as much practice applying all the knowledge with past papers.

I have been looking at Edexcel chem papers and they have multiple choice questions at the front. Perhaps doing them could be useful for us since the new spec papers also have a multiple choice section?
Reply 2
Original post by Vanilla Poison
At the moment we've just started Alkanes (4.1.2). Really hope we get through all the organic chem quickly.

Haven't done any sample papers yet, I'm saving them for later. I have done a couple F321 past papers, trying to do around 90% of all the papers for F321 and F322.

Hmm, I suck at giving advice but I might as well share what I'm planning to do over the coming weeks. First things first, I plan on getting all my notes written up. Then get as much practice applying all the knowledge with past papers.

I have been looking at Edexcel chem papers and they have multiple choice questions at the front. Perhaps doing them could be useful for us since the new spec papers also have a multiple choice section?

Alkanes? I would suggest learning how to draw each type of formula by heart for that topic from skeletal to molecular. At the start, your teacher might gloss over it but drawing structures and stuff are part of a lot of question in the past papers even a huge 12 marker.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞
Original post by Firenze26
Alkanes? I would suggest learning how to draw each type of formula by heart for that topic from skeletal to molecular. At the start, your teacher might gloss over it but drawing structures and stuff are part of a lot of question in the past papers even a huge 12 marker.

P.S.

Just wondering how far into the course you are?
Reply 4
Just wondering how far into the course you are?

I'm in the middle of bond enthalpy which is about halfway through the last part of organic chemistry (don't know what the number is though :/)

P.S.

I'm in the middle of bond enthalpy which is about halfway through the last part of organic chemistry (don't know what the number is though :/)

P.S.

Ah no worries :smile: Our teacher is so crap I'm practically teaching myself the course :/
Reply 6
Ah no worries :smile: Our teacher is so crap I'm practically teaching myself the course :/

Yikes, that sucks. If you need any help, just ask, while I'm not the best at this, I do know some stuff about alkanes.

P.S.

Yikes, that sucks. If you need any help, just ask, while I'm not the best at this, I do know some stuff about alkanes.

P.S.

You're grammar isn't 'horrible'. Chill :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
But guys I'm doing this, and I am on the verge of tears cause the year has flown and I don't get much in lessons, and have to do loads of independent revision.
Anyone know how ums works in this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
We've just started collision theory, so I think just over halfway.

I haven't looked at the specimen papers yet, I'm just practicing the papers from the old spec :smile:
Guys are you sure the dates on this thread for the exam are right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by helloitsmee
Guys are you sure the dates on this thread for the exam are right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they are, you can check on OCR's website for the exam timetable :smile:
Reply 12

P.S.

Bond enthalpy in organic? Where is that? It isn't in my textbook. We've only got Synthetic routes left, and then we are done!
Reply 13

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SGHD26716
That's a shout

A what now? :biggrin:
Reply 15
A what now? :biggrin:

When you say something really loudly
Reply 16
Original post by SGHD26716
Bond enthalpy in organic? Where is that? It isn't in my textbook. We've only got Synthetic routes left, and then we are done!

Sorry, it's not in organic. Our teacher just put it off till now cause it's easier to learn about it when we finished learning about bonds. It's in Chapter 3.2.

P.S.

Reply 17
Original post by helloitsmee
But guys I'm doing this, and I am on the verge of tears cause the year has flown and I don't get much in lessons, and have to do loads of independent revision.
Anyone know how ums works in this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the UMS still works the same way although the grade percentage/boundaries is quite unpredictable this year because this is the first group to do this.

P.S.

Reply 18
Sorry, it's not in organic. Our teacher just put it off till now cause it's easier to learn about it when we finished learning about bonds. It's in Chapter 3.2.

P.S.

That's a relief. Finished haloalkanes, one more chapter left

P.S.

You need to work on your grammar
I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending