The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths 6th June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

lol disgraceful paper, hardest one ever, I don't even want to think about it lmao
Original post by hebeb
OP=400-25t and OQ=100-20t

Use Pythagoras to find length PQ (xm) which gave something like 170,000-24,000t+1025t^2.

Differentiate this and set it equal to 0 to find the minimum value of t which you the substituted into the equation above to get 171.8m.

Whyyyyy ahah I started doing that then thought it was wrong so tried something else n left it im without doubt getting a u
Reply 262
Original post by hazelarcher
Whyyyyy ahah I started doing that then thought it was wrong so tried something else n left it im without doubt getting a u

Don't worry I didn't even attempt that, just didn't get the question at all haha. feel like such an idiot now, it seems so simple thinking about it :frown:
Reply 263
Original post by Wow_
What does everyone think the grade boundaries will be? I think I didn't answer a round 25 marks and I want an A:/

My Guess:

D - Just write your name and candidate details correctly
C - 5/100
B - 15/100
A - 25/100
If it's anything higher than this I'm gonna rebel

(but seriously, hopefully something like a - low 60's, b - low 50's, c - low 40's, d - low 30's
Original post by Townart
Like 400-25t, and the 100-20t, I got the answer to be 170 metres as the smallest length of X. Don't know if it's right.

i got 172 m but the equations I got were 400 - 25/2 t and 100 - 10t using the formula s = u+v/2 x t
I'm just glad it's over and I'll just pretend that exam never happened if I do badly enough. :woo:
Original post by tahsin360
i got 172 m but the equations I got were 400 - 25/2 t and 100 - 10t using the formula s = u+v/2 x t

you do not divide velocity by 2,if you do it from first principles, you get a velocity time graph, with constant velocity, so the area under it would be a rectangle, therefore, you do not divide by 2
Original post by meme259
They gave it, we had to find the curve equation

Oh really, so should you have done the antiderbiative. But for 4 marks I thought you'd have to do more than that so I dound the derivative then found X and got an equation so would I pick up 0 marks?
what did everyone get for t in the car and train question? started off decently and then i flopped it lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 269
OCR have really outdone themselves. The gold standard for prickness 👏
Original post by topspin2000
The answer is 400m:
S = ut + ½ at^2
Car A: = 0(t) + ½(1.5) t^2
= .75t^2
Car B: = 0(t) (2) t^2
= t^2
.75t^2 +100 = t^2
100= ¼ t^2
t= 20 seconds
S = ut + ½ at^2
= 0(20) + ½ 2(20)^2
=400m

do you know how many marks that whole question was?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
what did everyone get for t in the car and train question? started off decently and then i flopped it lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did something with 11.7 I think? :hide:
Reply 272
Original post by !GG!
Welp.
GG, OCR. You've successfully managed to piss me off in ways I did not think were imaginable.
Did all of the past papers, thought, 'yeah, this isn't so bad, I'm ready!'
After doing the test, I feel like I've wasted a METRIC S***TON of time revision for a test that is going to make me cry to sleep.
Just... so many questions where I was completely baffled.
Additional Maths? Additional B***S***.

When you spend half the exam making sure your deltas dont look like 8's.
Reply 273
Original post by Lrrgolas
do you know how many marks that whole question was?

4 for the distance (400m) and 2 for the time (20s), I believe.
what was the angle of the triangle? and the shortest length of AB?
Reply 275
So an A will probably be low 60s? Thank god 😅
Reply 276
Original post by La.la
When you spend half the exam making sure your deltas dont look like 8's.

Don't even get me started on that! WTF, Why, just why OCR, out of all the symbols you could have given, why give the one that no one has ever used and takes 10 years to draw - yes, draw, you don't write that kind of bs out. You could have given us X again, what's wrong with x? You could have given us a, b, c, d, e, fghijklmnopqrstuvxyz but NO, LETS BE FANCY AND GIVE THEM A FLIPPING DELTA
Timewasting + BS = OCR Additional Maths
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
what was the angle of the triangle? and the shortest length of AB?

shortest length was 11.5cm (rounded up to nearest cm making 12)
can't remember angle though :/
What did you guys get for the other line that was also tangent, I got y=3x+5, i did it by forming the diameter, was that what everyone else did
how low do you think the grade boundaries could go??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending