The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths 6th June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBsYw0DfAd4
The Hitler reacts video is already out :tongue:
A set of worked solutions has been posted on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoE1Km0Ic5g&feature=youtu.be&a

This isn't my video and I've only had a quick glance at it to see the question paper, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the answers.
If anyone finds/has the question paper please PM it to me.
Thanks
What did everyone get for the last question? I got both are 4 Units

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marioman
A set of worked solutions has been posted on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoE1Km0Ic5g&feature=youtu.be&a

This isn't my video and I've only had a quick glance at it to see the question paper, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the answers.

Ngl that put my mind at ease somewhat. - but it was a monstrosity of an exam, completely relentless and unfathomably demoralizing; surely I wasn't the only one contemplating my life choices mid way though the exam..?

From the responses, I gather the grade boundaries will be severely lowered - perhaps high 50's -> low 60's? - good to remember that the examiners are supposed to mark positively. Whatever that means, perhaps if you attempted a question with valid theory applied, you'll gain some sweet consolation marks?

Well anyhow, f*** OCR.
Reply 405
Did anyone even know how to do the buns question? If so can someone tell me how?!
Original post by Went01
Did anyone even know how to do the buns question? If so can someone tell me how?!
I got 540/x = 540/(x+75) + 5 I think, and then you multiply out the denominators to get a quadratic, which you can then solve.
I got both were 4 units for the last question as well. I actually got the buns question, one of the only questions that I think actually went well for me. It was relentless, after the first impossible question I thought 'well at least the rest should be ok...' How wrong I was!
That video put me at ease... should have got around 71-75. But damn that paper was difficult. I ranged 83%-98% in all the past papers since 2003, but they seemed like foundation GCSE maths in comparison.

@iwishicouldfly14 Your inbox if full which is why I haven't been able to reply :smile:
Original post by marioman

I'm an A-level maths teacher and the video (which also gives the original questions if you want to see them) has a few errors which I and others have commented on. I've repeated my comments below if you want to watch the video and note corrections as you go along:

In Q.4 you must work out b²-4ac for the quadratic, show that it is negative and draw the conclusion that therefore it has no real roots.Hence the cubic only has x = 2 as a root. You'd probably have lost 2 marks if you didn't go through that.

In Q.5 I'm afraid you've drawn the triangle wrong for the sides given. You should have drawn a triangle with the following sides: AB =11.5, BC = 15.5, AC = 20.5. Your reasoning was correct but you were trying to fit your triangle to the cosine rule which is a bad thing to do.

In Q.6: Aaaargh! You substituted t = 20 into the equation for A. It asked for the distance travelled by B which was 100m more ie, 400m. A quicker way of doing the first bit of that question would have been to look at the difference in acceleration (0.5 m/s²) and how long it took to cover 100m.

Good answer for Q.7 although you would have made your life a little easier if you'd drawn a diagram looking end-on along the roof from the right-hand side of the diagram. Difficult to explain in words - sorry!

On Q.8(ii) your explanation was wrong. If delta is < 1 then raising it to a power will reduce its value ie 0.5² = 0.25. If delta is very small (eg 0.05) then the square (0.0025) and the cube (0.000125) will be very much smaller than delta and can be neglected. In part (iii) you did the correct workings to get delta but forgot to then work out what the root was ie (1 + delta) = 1.05 to 3 s.f. You would have only lost a mark though.

I haven’t spotted any other slips in the remaining questions apart from swapping the x and y signs in your final answer to Q9 which you probably didn't do in the exam, but a few minor extra comments:

Nothing wrong in Q.13, but I would have divided by 5 as soon as I’d formed the equation linking the price of buns and loaves to simplify the arithmetic.

In Q.14 I’m at a loss as to why you found the equation of the line linking the three points to derive the meeting points. You know the x coords of each point already! That was a lot of unnecessary work especially if you did as follows:

I personally would have simply found the area under the curve between P→R and R→Q since you would only have needed to integrate once but with two sets of limits. I would then subtracted the trapezium under P→R from the first integral to get A1 and subtracted the second integral from the trapezium under R→Q to get A2, and shown they were both equal to 4.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kennethdcharles
That video put me at ease... should have got around 71-75. But damn that paper was difficult. I ranged 83%-98% in all the past papers since 2003, but they seemed like foundation GCSE maths in comparison.

@iwishicouldfly14 Your inbox if full which is why I haven't been able to reply :smile:

I know! I deleted all my messages yesterday evening and I thought I had accidently deleted your reply.... But I obviously haven't because it doesn't exist.
Original post by trollface54
did anyone get 6x-41 for any q

Yh I got that on question 13.
Original post by Went01

To get the number of buns, B, you divide £5.40 in pence by the price of a bun:

B = 540/x.

To get the number of loaves, L, you divide £5.40 in pence by the price of a loaf

L = 540/(x + 75)

You're told that B = L + 5, so just sub in the expressions you've already got for B and L:

540/x = 540/(x + 75) + 5

Divide by 5 to simplify the arithmetic:

108/x = 108/(x + 75) + 1

Multiply everything by x(x + 75) to get:

108(x + 75) = 108x + x(x + 75)

Rearrange, simplify and you get the quadratic they've given you.

To solve the quadratic, just use the formula unless you really can spot the two factors:

+ 75x - 8100 (x + 135)(x - 60) = 0

Hence x (the price of a bun) = 60p and the price of a loaf = (75 + 60)p or £1.35.
(edited 7 years ago)
It was 3x-41
I did the OCR English Language paper today.

Q5) Write about a time when you found something harder than expected. [40]

Was tempted to write about my experience during this exam.
Reply 415
do you guys think I might be able to scrape an A with 62?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HKHASSAN

i was so tempted to write about it too, walked into the admaths exam thinking 'this is my third exam of the day, easy A' but nope nope nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
i had three exams yesterday and add maths was the last!! i will be thrilled with an E after that (predicted an a fyi lol jokes never happening)!! counted that I've lost at least 45 marks
pk789 maybe... I hope grade boundaries are really low. It's hard to know though, as exam boards don't like changing them too much year on year. But, I don't know a single person who found that exam like any past paper on a level of easiness, so they may be forced to lower them a lot. Let's hope!
Original post by HKHASSAN

I kind of did - it was the background for my entire piece.
But it was more like my experience after the exam than the exam itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending