The Student Room Group

Clubbers/pubbers should put something back

Is it unreasonable for the people that trash our town centres every night (I say every night cos many students even party on a monday night) to be made to clear up their own mess. That is true community justice/cohestion right there; if you piss/vomit/knock bins over, YOU personally have a moral obligation to the community to clear that mess up. They should also give some resources to the (usually) English homeless that are on the floor outside the very clubs they frequent.
It's unfair to punish the majority who don't harm anyone else, also you sound very boring and miserable.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
It's unfair to punish the majority who don't harm anyone else, also you sound very boring and miserable.

Just punish the people doing the damage. Its not as if we dont have abundant CCTV.
Original post by Hackneyisation
Just punish the people doing the damage. Its not as if we dont have abundant CCTV.

If you go to a city centre and trash the place, you will be fined or given community service so what's the issue?
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
If you go to a city centre and trash the place, you will be fined or given community service so what's the issue?

I dont think its right that innocent households/traders should have pools of urine/vomit and rubbish outside their front door. The right message is if YOU commit the offence ONLY you have a personal responsibility to clear it up. That is justice being done.
Reply 5
I dont think its right that innocent households/traders should have pools of urine/vomit and rubbish outside their front door. The right message is if YOU commit the offence ONLY you have a personal responsibility to clear it up. That is justice being done.

Fine. But impossible.

The people doing it are not in any fit state to clean it up straightaway and the neighbourhood can't wait until they are.

The people doing it are already paying for it - the money they spend at the bars goes to the bar's council taxes which pays for the cleaners.
Original post by Drewski
Fine. But impossible.

The people doing it are not in any fit state to clean it up straightaway and the neighbourhood can't wait until they are.

The people doing it are already paying for it - the money they spend at the bars goes to the bar's council taxes which pays for the cleaners.

Sends out the wrong message. Drag em out the next morning actually put CCTV to some constructive use. Nobody else responsibility apart from the people that did it.

It is also slightly questionable why the supposed intellectual elite of society are out drinking on a monday and ex servicemen are sleeping on the pavements. But then morality is completely warped today.
Reply 7
Sends out the wrong message. Drag em out the next morning actually put CCTV to some constructive use. Nobody else responsibility apart from the people that did it.

It is also slightly questionable why the supposed intellectual elite of society are out drinking on a monday and ex servicemen are sleeping on the pavements. But then morality is completely warped today.

Your solution isn't practical. Nor affordable.

And relating that to some whine about homeless ex-servicemen is just bizarre and irrelevant.
It's fair enough. I live on the edge of the city centre. It's a right mess of a weekend.

I'm a bored insomniac right now so I'm gonna respond.

What should happen is council should provide workers to do that regularly.
If I'm wasted I ain't picking **** up mate soz.
Original post by 0to100
I'm a bored insomniac right now so I'm gonna respond.

What should happen is council should provide workers to do that regularly.
If I'm wasted I ain't picking **** up mate soz.

As I said it sends out the wrong message. Students are the intellectual elite and very often these towns are not even their own. Surely its not right that people who should know better can come in and trash someone else's back yard without any consequences. You dont see the homeless trashing the streets; and they definitely would have reason to.
Students are the intellectual elite and very often these towns are not even their own.

Why is it not "their own"? They are legal residents there for at least three years, they qualify to vote there.

Also, non-students go out pubbling and clubbing too, you know?
Original post by anarchism101
Why is it not "their own"? They are legal residents there for at least three years, they qualify to vote there.

Also, non-students go out pubbling and clubbing too, you know?

Outsiders, especially students who dont actually work should respect their host community. The uni also should nurture that community as well acquiring local talent. In reality foreign students in particular are cash cows so its not uncommon to see herds of half naked foreign students turning respectable neighbourhoods/town centres in to an eyesore (and an earsore probs).

Yes non students go out clubbing and chavs are a well known problem, but it is students that are often out on a mon-wed pretty much out-doing the chavs. We hold these people to a higher standard and they should set an example if they are genuinely part of the elite.
Reply 13
If they get caught there will be consequences. CCTV is rarely good enough to be the only source of evidence though, and to go further would cost more than it would to just pay other people to clean up, who's salary comes from tax, and alcohol is very heavily taxed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending