The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Not sure about that. Brook's going in there with someone who can end careers.

He's also struggling to get the big names in the ring at 147, even with the belt. If he looks somewhat good against GGG, he'll be avoided even more. If he gets dominated, well he'll be in the same position as he is now, I guess he'd have gotten his name out there a bit more in the States which could help. Khan on the other hand will always be a name, and other top welterweights don't see him as a dangerous opponent due to his style. Khan'll always be able to attract the big names at 47 tbh.

Disagree on Khan now. He's finished as a fighter, which is a shame because I liked his fights. Brook and Thurman will be the next big guys in the division and its only a matter of time before the champions in 147 lock heads.

Vargas fight will almost certianly be on for Brook and provided he wins that then its on to Thurman. Both of them can't say **** to Brook about opponents so he's actually got more of a presence.
I don't have any sympathy for Khan, to be honest, but I fundamentally agree his career should be over. How many times can he do it to himself? And put his loved ones through it?
KK as always nailed it on Khan and Brook's standing in the division.

Had Khan got his Mayweather and lost, I think he'd have retired after it hence it drove him to fight Canelo for the payday and getting that massive fight he wanted. His family all support him and I'd imagine words from his inner circle (father, uncle) will play the crucial moment on when to retire. He'll be around for another two years I reckon.

I can't get behind Brook's fight too much considering he could have got Vargas and he was hyping up a fight with Thurman a week or so ago. If Khan hadn't fought Canelo, would Brook have taken this fight? I'm not so sure. He wants to get one up on Khan by either lasting longer than the latter did or pulling off a major upset which he can taunt his rival with. Hearn's happy but it glosses over his handling of Brook IMO that he can't deliver on a massive fight for him than going up in weight.
To be honest, as much as I've slated Matchroom, it's easy to see why they've made the fight financially. And props to Brook for snapping their hands off.

Vargas has report fly been demanding huge money to face Brook.

Plus, it's worth remembering the parallels between these two fighters. Both probably the best in their division (in GGG's case, he definitely is) but both denied that big fight they desperately want (Canelo and Khan respectively).
Remember the days when top fighters fought each other in their own divisions.

Memories.
Original post by Rk2k14
Remember the days when top fighters fought each other in their own divisions.

Memories.

This,
wilder did the ting
Original post by Naveed-7
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2016/07/16/amir-khan-savaged-by-manny-pacquiao-promoter-bob-arum/

“He is not a draw on PPV in England. He is looked upon on both sides of the pond as yesterday’s news, and yet he refuses to recognise that and feels that his value is very, very high, which it is not" - Bob Arum

Arum has a point. Amir can't carry his own PPV in the UK like he once could.

Original post by magicelephant
wilder did the ting

I could box circles around Arreola these days FFS
Khan's value has diminished with every loss and not helped by a clear plan on what he wants to do burger vague aspirations about 'fighting the biggest names'. If Brook loses to GGG then fully expect the much anticipated fight between the two to be finally made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doubt we'll see Khan fight another big name again. Heart's not in it anymore.

No surprises whatsoever in the Wilder fight.
Said straight away I thought the Canelo fight was the end of Khan's top level career. He meandered about for too long in at the weight in which he belonged waiting for a big fight which never game, didn't avenge his losses then left the division got smashed and now has nowhere to go but back down to face the guy he was too good to fight before. He offers very little with his resume, his threat, and the purse he can bring.

Talk of AJ-Wilder already. Feel AJ should keep to beating up bums for another couple of years personally. Heavyweight division is so threadbare with quality if he can keep a clean record and manoeuvre himself into a position of strength with negotiations. He could find himself holding 3/4 belts and cashing in for a good few years much like Wilder (who imo, is a very average fighter) is doing currently.
Original post by Fizzel
Said straight away I thought the Canelo fight was the end of Khan's top level career. He meandered about for too long in at the weight in which he belonged waiting for a big fight which never game, didn't avenge his losses then left the division got smashed and now has nowhere to go but back down to face the guy he was too good to fight before. He offers very little with his resume, his threat, and the purse he can bring.

Talk of AJ-Wilder already. Feel AJ should keep to beating up bums for another couple of years personally. Heavyweight division is so threadbare with quality if he can keep a clean record and manoeuvre himself into a position of strength with negotiations. He could find himself holding 3/4 belts and cashing in for a good few years much like Wilder (who imo, is a very average fighter) is doing currently.

Disagree. Khan might be finished but you can't question his resume and purse. Still a top welterweight (example of how poor the division is right now), but he brings $ to the table, especially in the States. Look at guys like Thurman and Brook (supposedly the 2 best in the division and world champions), yet they have shocking CVs compared to someone like Khan.

He'll probably end up getting a top 5 fight which should set him up nicely for retirement. Shame though, could have been a great fighter.
I think the issue for Khan domestically is the fact he hasn't paid his dues here. He's spent his career over the pond.
Khan simply thinks he's better and worth more than he actually is. That's been his biggest downfall I feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How badly promoted has this Canelo and Smith fight been so far?
Original post by Mackay
How badly promoted has this Canelo and Smith fight been so far?

Don't think its anything to do with promotion really. The fans are fed up of his constant antics regarding a fight with GGG. Been going on for too long.
Original post by Rk2k14
Don't think its anything to do with promotion really. The fans are fed up of his constant antics regarding a fight with GGG. Been going on for too long.

Agree - but the promotion seems amateurish from what I've seen.

Smith vs Groves needs to happen.
Original post by Mackay
Agree - but the promotion seems amateurish from what I've seen.

Smith vs Groves needs to happen.

Dont think they'll throw Smith into the deep end yet. Potential to be the best out of all of them so he'll be kept waiting.
Original post by Rk2k14
Dont think they'll throw Smith into the deep end yet. Potential to be the best out of all of them so he'll be kept waiting.

Good call, but I just want that fight to happen so much. I guess all eyes for me are on Frampton now. Not much else happening in the boxing world in the next few weeks.

Latest