The Student Room Group

M&A Analyst AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terry Tibbs
Oh I know what networking is I'm just curious about how he thinks it actually makes you more competitive, because after all the networking events from banks I went to all I've gained is some extra knowledge by asking questions which can be found on the internet. All this stuff about "oh they'll remember you when you come to apply" etc feels like a load of bs, there's no way everyone that goes to meet a few recruiters gets remembered by whoever looks at your application.

Networking does definitely help. Analysts are quite eager, genuinely, to help others wanting to go into investment banking. I feel like perhaps you aren't networking effectively if it isn't helping you.

Original post by Trapz99
You should try to talk to them near the end of the event when everyone's going home. Get their email and keep conversing with them. Add them on LinkedIn as well and send them a message so they know who you are. Talk about something interesting during your first encounter with them (I've done some networking and I usually talk about volunteering...) and then they'll remember who you are. The main key to networking (I'm not an expert though) is showing that you are an interesting person, imo

Exactly. That's how networking should be done. I would want to talk to someone interesting- anyone wanting to enter banking needs to show that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Commercial Paper
You guys should raise some financing between you all and start an on-campus Pizza Hut franchise. That would look ****ing impressive - plus free pizza :biggrin:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha that's a great idea!
Hi,

How many % of woman in your M&A grad class. Thanks
Original post by Sayed0123
Networking does definitely help. Analysts are quite eager, genuinely, to help others wanting to go into investment banking. I feel like perhaps you aren't networking effectively if it isn't helping you.

Exactly. That's how networking should be done. I would want to talk to someone interesting- anyone wanting to enter banking needs to show that.

So you've follows up with the analyst after meeting him etc, sent him a message, he replies and remembers you. How do you go that one step further, to know if he puts in a word or highlight you to HR etc? Or you don't...
Original post by prettyIBer?
Hi,

How many % of woman in your M&A grad class. Thanks

30% but I don't think this is the norm
You'll be fine as a woman, there is no real sexism here, at least not at the bank I work for.
Original post by makrxx
So you've follows up with the analyst after meeting him etc, sent him a message, he replies and remembers you. How do you go that one step further, to know if he puts in a word or highlight you to HR etc? Or you don't...

You shouldn't expect them to do it, that's not the main point of networking. The point of networking is to learn more about the industry which you can't always find online and to get help on your application. You shouldn't ask a banker to highlight you but you can name drop them if you want (make sure you know him/her well). Then they will probably look at your application.
I am available to answer questions today and tomorrow.
Reply 127
Working in London for a BB.

Hi,

-From what you know of, is there a large amount of those entering a junior role of whom are from a target (Oxbridge,Lse,Warwick,Ucl,Imperial)

-What would you recommend to us aspirers particularly after brexit? Notably Morgan Stanley are relocating I believe and a lot of the bulges are cutting back on intakes.

Thanks!
Original post by Rkai01
Hi,

-From what you know of, is there a large amount of those entering a junior role of whom are from a target (Oxbridge,Lse,Warwick,Ucl,Imperial)

-What would you recommend to us aspirers particularly after brexit? Notably Morgan Stanley are relocating I believe and a lot of the bulges are cutting back on intakes.

Thanks!

Yes, at least 70% of my colleagues are from the universities that you specified. The rest of the colleagues from the UK are from other good universities like Bristol and Nottingham. My colleagues from mainland Europe are mainly from Bocconi and top B-schools.

I don't recommend you do anything... I don't quite understand your question.
(edited 7 years ago)
how do you maintain relationships with headhunters?
Reply 130
Yes, at least 70% of my colleagues are from the universities that you specified. The rest of the colleagues from the UK are from other good universities like Bristol and Nottingham. My colleagues from mainland Europe are mainly from Bocconi and top B-schools.

I don't recommend you do anything... I don't quite understand your question.

Ah right fair enough.
All I mean is do we have to try and differentiate ourselves further now due to brexit implications (in your opinion)?
Reply 131
How long do you plan to stay in IB?
Original post by Rkai01
Ah right fair enough.
All I mean is do we have to try and differentiate ourselves further now due to brexit implications (in your opinion)?

Banks change their intakes all the time to reflect the state of the economy and the bank. You will always have to differentiate yourself to be considered for a banking role. This can be done through extracurricular activities, particularly leadership positions, and having work experience in a finance-related field.
Original post by vela1
How long do you plan to stay in IB?

As long as I can.
Original post by gr8wizard10
how do you maintain relationships with headhunters?

I'm not quite an expert on that hehe
I would like to stay in my current bank in M&A as long as I can. I'm not interested in moving to any other firm at the moment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 135
As long as I can.

Cheers for the reply. What was your main reason(s) for pursuing a career in IB? What other careers did you think of going into if you couldn't break into banking?
I'm not quite an expert on that hehe
I would like to stay in my current bank in M&A as long as I can. I'm not interested in moving to any other firm at the moment.

interesting, what makes you want to stay?

do you enjoy the scope or work? learnign experience? aspiration to one day make MD?

many analysts here want to flip over to buy-side with the exception of the commited few.
Original post by vela1
Cheers for the reply. What was your main reason(s) for pursuing a career in IB? What other careers did you think of going into if you couldn't break into banking?

I've been interested in 'business' careers from a relatively young age and M&A in particular appealed to me because of the impact of the work one does and because of the skills one gains from being an analyst. I am also a workaholic and can handle stress so the job is a good fit for me. There are so many reasons but the main one is that banking just fits my personality well.

I would have gone into audit at one of the four largest firms.
Original post by gr8wizard10
interesting, what makes you want to stay?

do you enjoy the scope or work? learnign experience? aspiration to one day make MD?

many analysts here want to flip over to buy-side with the exception of the commited few.

I'm the only person out of all my colleagues who wants to stay. You're definitely right about most people wanting to leave but I'm just not interested in going into a different field. I am aiming to become an MD and play a bigger role in building relationships with the clients the bank works with- that seems like something which would be very rewarding.

I do very much enjoy the work I do in M&A and the impact that the work can have. Sure, there are boring moments sometimes but you always learn something new and I don't feel like I would enjoy working in other careers more than this.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm the only person out of all my colleagues who wants to stay. You're definitely right about most people wanting to leave but I'm just not interested in going into a different field. I am aiming to become an MD and play a bigger role in building relationships with the clients the bank works with- that seems like something which would be very rewarding.

I do very much enjoy the work I do in M&A and the impact that the work can have. Sure, there are boring moments sometimes but you always learn something new and overall it's the perfect job imho

fair enough, very to good to hear. i wish you all the best in your quest, maybe we will have the opportunity to work together sometime.

enjoy the rest of the evening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending