The Student Room Group

Which degree course is better for analyst jobs?

Accounting and finance or accounting and business?
For investment banking? Neither is better or worse than the other, assuming you're doing it at a target uni.
What does an analyst do?
Original post by toxicgamage56
What does an analyst do?

theres many jobs with analyst in the title, when it comes to finance-related fields, they tend to manage, analyse and give advice to businesses or single clients. tried my best explaining ngl
Original post by weirdstranger
theres many jobs with analyst in the title, when it comes to finance-related fields, they tend to manage, analyse and give advice to businesses or single clients. tried my best explaining ngl

Oh right, thanks. I have an offer for an analyst position, but I wasn't sure what it would entail.
Reply 5
What does a Finance Analyst do - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/financial-risk-analyst
"Employers are increasingly looking for degrees in finance, mathematics or statistics." ie. Maths heavy degrees.
As above "analyst" is a bit of a vague term. I assume you mean a graduate investment banking analyst in which case as I noted, whatever floats your boat as long as it is from a target uni.

If you want to go into quant finance and be an analyst in that frame, then neither is suitable and you would need at minimum a degree and masters, if not PhD, in something like maths/CS/physics/maybe engineering. For other areas like actuarial analysts and similar stuff a more quantitative degree is likely necessary, although bachelors level would be fine. Likewise as a data science "analyst" you would really need a maths/stats/CS background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending