The Student Room Group

Prestigious unis vs non prestigious unis

Why are people always trying to put you off of non prestigious universities? My friend and family members have all told me to go to a prestigious uni rather than a standard one. Would you say a prestigious uni holds higher teaching and educational standards or not?

Scroll to see replies

Imperial or GTFO
Reply 2
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Imperial or GTFO

Right?!!
Reply 3
Well do you want a mediocre girlfriend Or a beautiful, curvy, spanish woman who calls u daddy? Both are girls at the end of the day.

Just a simple analogy to put things into perspective.
Although I am going to a Russell group uni, I think people who think these places are the be all and be end are very closed minded.
It's so competitive for jobs these days and so many factors go into it. If you have no skills or experience what employer would want you even if you went to the top uni in the country?
I know someone who went to Anglia Ruskin uni to do Architecture and now earns a lot of money in his own business.
That being said, statistically people who have gone to more prestigious uni's have gotten higher level jobs but I doubt it was purely due to the uni name itself and rather the opportunities the uni provided.
Still aim for the top though.
Original post by Gman786
Well do you want a mediocre girlfriend Or a beautiful, curvy, spanish woman who calls u daddy? Both are girls at the end of the day.

too bad that a prestigious or non prestigious university means not that much to employers now.
Reply 6
Original post by Gman786

Umm thanks I guess, I get what you're saying despite the awkward analogy.
Go for Gold I guess.. 😂😭👌🏻
Reply 7
Okay yeah I've come to a conclusion now that prestige is important and I'll probably definitely go for the more prestigious University 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Original post by Gman786

Excuse me why Spanish? Plenty of other countries host hot women
Original post by Gman786
Well do you want a mediocre girlfriend Or a beautiful, curvy, spanish woman who calls u daddy? Both are girls at the end of the day.Just a simple analogy to put things into perspective.

What if OP is into dudes? That would be such a waste of a 'fitting' analogy, right?
Dèja vu? This thread again!
Reply 11
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
What if OP is into dudes? That would be such a waste of a 'fitting' analogy, right?

I wasnt gonna list 56 different ethnicities was i now.. Cmon. I just randomly chose spanish cause I was watching narcos. Feel free to insert your own preference. 😂
Prestige matters whether you accept it or not, the guy that went UCL is gonna have a far easier time finding employment in a high paying field compared to the guy that went to some average university like Reading.
Original post by sketchymofo2
too bad that a prestigious or non prestigious university means not that much to employers now.
What do they look for
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Okay yeah I've come to a conclusion now that prestige is important and I'll probably definitely go for the more prestigious University 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

If your username is what you're studying, then it won't matter. Just go for the uni you like best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by tcameron
Although I am going to a Russell group uni, I think people who think these places are the be all and be end are very closed minded.
It's so competitive for jobs these days and so many factors go into it. If you have no skills or experience what employer would want you even if you went to the top uni in the country?
I know someone who went to Anglia Ruskin uni to do Architecture and now earns a lot of money in his own business.
That being said, statistically people who have gone to more prestigious uni's have gotten higher level jobs but I doubt it was purely due to the uni name itself and rather the opportunities the uni provided.
Still aim for the top though.

Like less than half of the Russell group unis are actually worth going to over some non Russell uni.
Original post by sketchymofo2

how many front office analysts went to london met? 0 probably
Tbf, I know 2 from similar tier unis. 1 went to Man Met and the other London Southbank. But ofc, they are extreme exceptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GUMI
Like less than half of the Russell group unis are actually worth going to over some non Russell uni.

Well generally people always think they must go to a Russell group even if a non-Russell group is a better uni for their course
also too bad your degree alone wont set you apart if there are up to a x number of others with the same degree or from a say more prestigious university fighting for that job to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending