The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Durham vs UCL vs Edinburgh for Engineering

I can only apply to two out of these 4 unis and I can't decide which ones. I would apply for mechanical engineering at bristol and edinburgh, and general engineering at durham, and mechanical engineering with business finance at UCL. I want to apply to Bristol because it is probably the best one (according to the rankings) for mech eng. But I would love to go to Uni in Scotland and edinburgh is a beautiful uni, but It would be 2nd year entry so possibly harder to make friends. UCL has a really good course which combines mechanical engineering with finance so I would love to go there as I might want to go into finance after uni and that would best prepare me. Also UCL is a london uni and more prestigious, so banks may prefer to employ a UCL grad over the other unis. However Durham Uni has impressive buildings and I like how it is one of the oldest Uk Unis, and it is the most beautful (and it looks like Hogwarts). I would not mind doing general engineering and then mechanical in 3rd year at Durham. I want to go to the uni which would give me the most job opportunities and is most prestigious, but also a Uni which is historic and beautful like durham and edinburgh. Please help me pick 2 out of these 4 options.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Sirius17
I can only apply to two out of these 4 unis and I can't decide which ones. I would apply for mechanical engineering at bristol and edinburgh, and general engineering at durham, and mechanical engineering with business finance at UCL. I want to apply to Bristol because it is probably the best one (according to the rankings) for mech eng. But I would love to go to Uni in Scotland and edinburgh is a beautiful uni, but It would be 2nd year entry so possibly harder to make friends. UCL has a really good course which combines mechanical engineering with finance so I would love to go there as I might want to go into finance after uni and that would best prepare me. Also UCL is a london uni and more prestigious, so banks may prefer to employ a UCL grad over the other unis. However Durham Uni has impressive buildings and I like how it is one of the oldest Uk Unis, and it is the most beautful (and it looks like Hogwarts). I would not mind doing general engineering and then mechanical in 3rd year at Durham. I want to go to the uni which would give me the most job opportunities and is most prestigious, but also a Uni which is historic and beautful like durham and edinburgh. Please help me pick 2 out of these 4 options.

Durham and UCL.

Edinburgh could be hard for you as 2nd year entry unless you want to start from 1st year.

Bristol has a bad rep for student support.
Reply 2
That gotta be the worst advice. Bristol is probably the best of them.
Original post by Wired_1800
Durham and UCL.

Edinburgh could be hard for you as 2nd year entry unless you want to start from 1st year.

Bristol has a bad rep for student support.
Original post by Ndaima
That gotta be the worst advice. Bristol is probably the best of them.

Ok
Reply 4
Original post by Sirius17

Hey would love to know if you applied in UCL for mechanical engineering with business and finance

Quick Reply

Latest