The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elchapojr
They probably buy nice cars, and houses in London are really expensive. They probably invest some of it in stuff like rental properties to provide a stable side income, since they could get fired easily

Original post by serions871
Same, if I become a banker I dont know what I'm actually gonna do with the money aha

You guys would be surprised, the money doesn't actually go as far as you'd expect after rent, national insurance, tax, student loan repayments, pension deductions etc. Also it's difficult to buy a decent property in and around London due to the extreme house prices without a massive deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Commercial Paper
You guys would be surprised, the money doesn't actually go as far as you'd expect after rent, national insurance, tax, student loan repayments etc. Also it's difficult to buy a decent property in and around London due to the extreme house prices without a massive deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Compared to living on an average salary, I imagine you'd struggle a lot less
I mean, you can buy a terraced house in a suburb with that money, and have a good car, that's good enough really
You guys would be surprised, the money doesn't actually go as far as you'd expect after rent, national insurance, tax, student loan repayments etc. Also it's difficult to buy a decent property in and around London due to the extreme house prices without a massive deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree with this. The public view of what it means to work at a bank is very inflated in terms of glamour and salary. London prices are very high and after taxes and other expenses, you're not left eith ridiculous amounts.

Having said that, this depends on your rank level and the more senior you are and depending on what role you have at the company there is the potential to make a lot of money. But it's not as much as people assume!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, if I become a banker I dont know what I'm actually gonna do with the money aha

I don't know how to cope with my expenses if I don't become a banker...

It's great money for a young person, but nowhere near the "don't know how to spend it" level. Examples: watches (a 10k watch isn't even considered a truly expensive one), clothes, life in general (rent in London, dining, etc) and then you have more meaningful ones such as boat, car, house... 80K (before taxes) is not "f***-you money".
(edited 7 years ago)
I mean, you can buy a terraced house in a suburb with that money, and have a good car, that's good enough really

Not for everyone...
Original post by usualsuspects

It's great money for a young person, but nowhere near the "don't know how to spend it" level. Examples: watches (a 10k watch isn't even considered a truly expensive one), clothes, life in general (rent in London, dining, etc) and then you have more meaningful ones such as boat, car, house... 80K (before taxes) is not "f***-you money".

"...£10k watch isn't even considered a truly expensive one..."

"...more meaningful ones such as boat.."

U wot

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

This is kind of an entitled attitude, a banker or trader earns more than like 95% of people their age. I don't think most of them have £10,000 watches or a boat and they probably don't want to. You shouldn't expect to have these things when you're in your mid twenties.

Compared to 99.9% of people on the planet, you have a pay package that unbelievable if you're earning £60000 as an accountant in your thirties and have a house and a car.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reformed
yes but its not as rewarding as baking your own cakes and selling them for profit

Investment baking

Yes but as a banker you have to live close to the office due to the excessive hours, at least in your junior years. You could never move further out into the suburb, especially with Southern Rail at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
"...£10k watch isn't even considered a truly expensive one..."

"...more meaningful ones such as boat.."

U wot

Posted from TSR Mobile

First one is a fact.
Was just providing examples of how to spend money and of things you can't get on an analyst's salary and must save towards. (Well, there was an article on The Economist about sharing economy for "luxuries", like boat sharing for who doesn't own one).
First one is a fact.
Was just providing examples of how to spend money and of things you can't get on an analyst's salary and must save towards. (Well, there was an article on The Economist about sharing economy for "luxuries", like boat sharing for who doesn't own one).

I've got a £5 watch from a market stall in East London, £10k is truly expensive, trust me
First one is a fact.

Original post by Trapz99
I've got a £5 watch from a market stall in East London, £10k is truly expensive, trust me

I don't even wear a watch. What's the point?

You don't really need one unless you're a mid-level or above banker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
This is kind of an entitled attitude, a banker or trader earns more than like 95% of people their age. I don't think most of them have £10,000 watches or a boat and they probably don't want to. You shouldn't expect to have these things when you're in your mid twenties.

Compared to 99.9% of people on the planet, you have a pay package that unbelievable if you're earning £60000 as an accountant in your thirties and have a house and a car.

I am not planning to buy a boat in my twenties, nor a watch above 10k, but I will have other expenses to cover what remains from that 70-80K.
I don't even wear a watch. What's the point?

You don't really need one unless you're a mid-level or above banker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure it's up to me to explain what the point of watches is... I have one. But they do get in the way with the keyboard, that's true.

Original post by Trapz99

It's expensive, but watch fans wouldn't class it among the really really expensive watches.
You guys would be surprised, the money doesn't actually go as far as you'd expect after rent, national insurance, tax, student loan repayments, pension deductions etc. Also it's difficult to buy a decent property in and around London due to the extreme house prices without a massive deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

When there are people living on £30k in London, I'm pretty sure £100k can give you a similar lifestyle. You can buy a good two bedroom flat for around £500k, around £2500 a month.
When there are people living on £30k in London, I'm pretty sure £100k can give you a similar lifestyle. You can buy a good two bedroom flat for around £500k, around £2500 a month.

I'm sure people do live on less but it's not a race to the bottom. There is an irony in your post that, if you're in the top 3% of earners in the UK, the best you can do is a two bedroom flat? You're correct, of course, but people here make out like you'll be living the high life in a playboy mansion with models and bottles whereas the reality is, yes - you'll be living in a cramped two bedroom flat.
Original post by Lay-Z
I'd rather have a life though, you can earn similar in the public sector after a few more years and have much better work life balance

public sector salaries don't match up in the slightest
Original post by Lay-Z
After 10-15 years in senior positions you'd be surprised

Tell me about these public sector jobs with high six to seven figure potential comp figures after 10-15 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's also a dangerous job.
An intern died a few years back due to a epileptic seizure because he did 3 all nighters.

Not cool man.
I'm sure people do live on less but it's not a race to the bottom. There is an irony in your post that, if you're in the top 3% of earners in the UK, the best you can do is a two bedroom flat? You're correct, of course, but people here make out like you'll be living the high life in a playboy mansion with models and bottles whereas the reality is, yes - you'll be living in a cramped two bedroom flat.

It's basically what I meant: in absolute terms, we are not talking about absurd money, as Analysts (it's a lot compared to average incomes though). I think they don't lack ways to spend what they earn.
There is even an expression, something like high earners not yet rich. It's still a good lifestyle, financially (you can afford the bottles if you're into that).

Original post by Lay-Z
I'd rather have a life though, you can earn similar in the public sector after a few more years and have much better work life balance

But also in IB pay increases with seniority, and the hours also get better. Anyways, it's not just the pay, but also, to a certain degree, the prestige, the sense of achievement, etc. Plus some really like finance and IB per se.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending