The Student Room Group

geiger counter

why is an analogue geiger counter better to use than a digital?
Original post by Hannie16
why is an analogue geiger counter better to use than a digital?

don't think it is tbh unless they have different specifications in some other way.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
don't think it is tbh unless they have different specifications in some other way.

I'm doing a write up for the investigation of the inverse square law of gamma radiation and i need to say in my error analysis why using an analogue geiger-muller counter is better or why we took the results from that instead. I remember that the digital counter kept changing value and never settled on one, especially when the range of it was increased - it kept jumping up really high then giving a really low value so was unreliable. The analogue counter - i can't find any advantages it has over the digital
Original post by Hannie16
I'm doing a write up for the investigation of the inverse square law of gamma radiation and i need to say in my error analysis why using an analogue geiger-muller counter is better or why we took the results from that instead. I remember that the digital counter kept changing value and never settled on one, especially when the range of it was increased - it kept jumping up really high then giving a really low value so was unreliable. The analogue counter - i can't find any advantages it has over the digital

Well they should both be able to give an averaged count rate afaik and they usually have settings for fast or slow averaging . if the analogue one had more appropriate averaging for the size of count rates you were measuring than the digital, that'd be an advantage for the analogue.

Quick Reply

Latest