The Student Room Group

Universities in Holland

Hi,

I am British but since I don't qualify for student finance (I havent lived in the UK three years prior to my degree), it is just too expensive to study here. I am looking at Unis in Denmark and Holland instead.

I am leaning towards going to university of Wittenborg (Apeldoorn, Holland), has anyone been there? any reviews?

Secondly, can someone guide me if I were to do my uni from Denmark/Holland, would I have any trouble getting a job back in the UK? What I mean is, are the qualifications I get there accepted here in the UK?

Thirdly, (sorry for the long post), can the government really not help me in doing my education here in the UK? Is student finance the ONLY way I could have got a loan? I just think it's ridiculous that I can't qualify simply because I haven't lived here for 3 years prior to my uni.

Thanks! :smile:
I don't know if you have the required levels to attend an university like UVA or Erasmus Rotterdam, but the Apeldoorn one is a university of applied sciences. So if you want to go there your degree is "less" worth than a degree from UVA or Erasmus. So it wont be equal to an UK uni degree in short. If you really want to pursue a career in finance, you are better of going to an university like Erasmus or whatever they offer in Denmark.

Additional info on why the program has "less value":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hochschule
Original post by Stevenzhao
I don't know if you have the required levels to attend an university like UVA or Erasmus Rotterdam, but the Apeldoorn one is a university of applied sciences. So if you want to go there your degree is "less" worth than a degree from UVA or Erasmus. So it wont be equal to an UK uni degree in short. If you really want to pursue a career in finance, you are better of going to an university like Erasmus or whatever they offer in Denmark.

Additional info on why the program has "less value":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hochschule

Thanks for the feedback. I do have good grades but I want to start in Feb and Wittenborg is the only one allowing me to do so.

I do plan to do Masters in the future from UK? Till then I suppose I could get a job with my degree from Wittenborg and could also get admission into a Masters program. It is a proper university after all; but please correct me if I am wrong.

I just need to live within the EU/UK for theee years after which I'd be able to do my masters with a student loan (student finance); that's the real problem.
Original post by soniashahid95
Thanks for the feedback. I do have good grades but I want to start in Feb and Wittenborg is the only one allowing me to do so.

I do plan to do Masters in the future from UK? Till then I suppose I could get a job with my degree from Wittenborg and could also get admission into a Masters program. It is a proper university after all; but please correct me if I am wrong.

I just need to live within the EU/UK for theee years after which I'd be able to do my masters with a student loan (student finance); that's the real problem.

It is a good university, but it's not a real university you expect, like a university like oxbridge, LSE, UVA, EUR where they do research. Wittenborg is an university of applied sciences. So for example, if you were to study business economics at Wittenborg it will hold less value than somebody who did Business Economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam. Not because it's a better university, but only because it's a "real" university. So the subjects will be more difficult and the requirements will be higher.

Edit: Also I'm not certain if UK unis are keen on bachelors from universities of applied sciences.

More clarification:
http://www.rug.nl/feb/education/premaster/hbo?lang=en
(edited 7 years ago)
It is a good university, but it's not a real university you expect, like a university like oxbridge, LSE, UVA, EUR where they do research. Wittenborg is an university of applied sciences. So for example, if you were to study business economics at Wittenborg it will hold less value than somebody who did Business Economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam. Not because it's a better university, but only because it's a "real" university. So the subjects will be more difficult and the requirements will be higher.

Edit: Also I'm not certain if UK unis are keen on bachelors from universities of applied sciences.

More clarification:
http://www.rug.nl/feb/education/premaster/hbo?lang=en

Sorry for bothering you, but I'm quite confused now. What about Danish universities? Is it the same with some of them not being a "real university"?

I am in contact with Zealand Institute right now. My priority is to start asap and so I'm only going for those which offer Feb intakes, as does Zealand.

Thanks again for your help :smile:
Sorry for bothering you, but I'm quite confused now. What about Danish universities? Is it the same with some of them not being a "real university"?

I am in contact with Zealand Institute right now. My priority is to start asap and so I'm only going for those which offer Feb intakes, as does Zealand.

Thanks again for your help :smile:

I don't know about Danish Universities, since I am a dutchman so I can tell you only about the Dutch education system.
But you could also ask your studentcounselor at your school for more clarification.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm in the exact same boat as you are! I also find it ridiculously frustrating not to be able to get student finance simply because I haven't lived in the UK for the full 3 years prior to uni.
I would say that if you go to a research uni(as opposed to an applied science one) your degree will be worth as much as any other UK degree, and you'll be able to find a job in the UK quite easily, let alone if you do a Uk masters degree on top of it.
Original post by Nadav22
I'm in the exact same boat as you are! I also find it ridiculously frustrating not to be able to get student finance simply because I haven't lived in the UK for the full 3 years prior to uni.
I would say that if you go to a research uni(as opposed to an applied science one) your degree will be worth as much as any other UK degree, and you'll be able to find a job in the UK quite easily, let alone if you do a Uk masters degree on top of it.

A lot of U.K. students face this problem and it's ridiculous honestly! We just end up paying almost as much as international students then! If I may ask, how are you dealing with this then? I've also got in touch with universities at Denmark since they're absolutely free. Don't even have the silly 3 year rule! Ha!
Reply 8
A lot of U.K. students face this problem and it's ridiculous honestly! We just end up paying almost as much as international students then! If I may ask, how are you dealing with this then? I've also got in touch with universities at Denmark since they're absolutely free. Don't even have the silly 3 year rule! Ha!

So in my case, I could either defer for a year or 2(because I've been back in the UK since oct 15) or go to continental Europe but I will probably end up going to Dutch unis because the options are very limited in Denmark and they don't have the course I'm interested in so I am currently in the process of applying to universities in rotterdam and groningen.

btw, are you not bothered by how brexit will affect UK students in europe?
Original post by Nadav22
So in my case, I could either defer for a year or 2(because I've been back in the UK since oct 15) or go to continental Europe but I will probably end up going to Dutch unis because the options are very limited in Denmark and they don't have the course I'm interested in so I am currently in the process of applying to universities in rotterdam and groningen.

btw, are you not bothered by how brexit will affect UK students in europe?

You seem to have a good plan for yourself. Good luck!

And I don't think we'll be leaving the EU for another year or two so not worrying too much at the moment.
Original post by Nadav22
so I am currently in the process of applying to universities in rotterdam and groningen.

I'm applying to the same ones hahah (along with some in UK). Not from UK though. Which courses?
Reply 11
Original post by kolowner
I'm applying to the same ones hahah (along with some in UK). Not from UK though. Which courses?

Oh cool! Econometrics in rotterdam and maths in groningen! what about you?
I don't know about Danish Universities, since I am a dutchman so I can tell you only about the Dutch education system.
But you could also ask your studentcounselor at your school for more clarification.

Hi again,

I got an offer from wittenborg. I'd be studying with them for 1 and a half year to finish off my degree. The other option I have is going back to Pakistan to complete my degree (that's where I went to uni before coming here), but I personally think a degree from Holland will sit better with employers.

What's your opinion of this if I may ask? You know more about the Dutch education system and everything so do you believe employers in the U.K. will be willing to accept qualifications from there happily?

Thanks for the help!
Hi again,

I got an offer from wittenborg. I'd be studying with them for 1 and a half year to finish off my degree. The other option I have is going back to Pakistan to complete my degree (that's where I went to uni before coming here), but I personally think a degree from Holland will sit better with employers.

What's your opinion of this if I may ask? You know more about the Dutch education system and everything so do you believe employers in the U.K. will be willing to accept qualifications from there happily?

Thanks for the help!

I can't really tell you to be honest. Since I don't know how much value people see in a diploma of a Pakistani uni. However I do know some Dutch universities are well renowned around the globe for some programs, which are even close on the rankings like MIT i.e. Civil Engineering in Delft. Or Management at RSM. But since you are interested in finance I can tell you that some people from RSM ended up in the London IB, which is quite an accomplishment I think. But overall I think the Dutch Diplomas have more credibility due that the Bachelor programs have been leveled across Europe to lessen the difference in degrees in Europe. I hope I made sense. I'm not entirely sure on this, but it's just my two cents.
Reply 14
Hello everyone!

My name is Kenny and I have studied in the Netherlands for the past 3 years. Having completed my Bachelor's in International Business at Maastricht University, I am now finishing up my Masters in Finance and Investments at Erasmus Rotterdam.

I'm currently working on a project with Erasmus University to help prospective students connect with current university students who can answer your specific questions about university life. If you're considering Erasmus University as one of your options and are interested in getting all your questions answered about uni life in Rotterdam, then shoot me a message so we can connect you to a current student!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending