The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Catered or Uncatered - Drama offers

Hiya, I have offers on two different Drama courses. I heard that its not a good idea to be catered if you are doing Drama as you might not be back in time for evening meal. What's the opinion on this? If this is the case, which accommodation would be best for me. I am NOT a party person, and was originally looking at Mardon. Help, please. :smile:
I’m not sure what university this is for, but i would suggest uncatered. This gives you freedom to cook your own meals and have better relations with flatmates. You can still go and eat the same food as catered, as usually they just have meal tickets that allows them to eat at a reduced cost as they have no other option.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by LyraFrnn
Hiya, I have offers on two different Drama courses. I heard that its not a good idea to be catered if you are doing Drama as you might not be back in time for evening meal. What's the opinion on this? If this is the case, which accommodation would be best for me. I am NOT a party person, and was originally looking at Mardon. Help, please. :smile:

Having had friends who do Drama/Acting Societies and were in catered, they very often missed meals so I’d massively recommend going for uncatered.
As for what accommodation to pick, that depends on what you’re looking for. There’s going to be parties in all halls, but you can always put in a request as to be in a ‘quiet’ flat if that’s not what you’re looking for. Lafrowda has a reputation for being quite heavy on parties which is well deserved, but that’s not Lafrowda exclusive.
I’d recommend having a look over all the accommodation options and seeing which fits what you want.
Reply 3
Original post by tw559
Having had friends who do Drama/Acting Societies and were in catered, they very often missed meals so I’d massively recommend going for uncatered.
As for what accommodation to pick, that depends on what you’re looking for. There’s going to be parties in all halls, but you can always put in a request as to be in a ‘quiet’ flat if that’s not what you’re looking for. Lafrowda has a reputation for being quite heavy on parties which is well deserved, but that’s not Lafrowda exclusive.
I’d recommend having a look over all the accommodation options and seeing which fits what you want.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I went to the holders day this weekend, and liked the look of Holland Hall.
Reply 4
Thanks, this is really helpful. I went to the holders day this weekend, and liked the look of Holland Hall.

Holland Hall is (mostly) catered, though the Studios there are self-catered. If you want to look through all the accommodation, here is the link to look through them, you can filter what room type, catering type, location and prices on there. Hope this helps!

Catered accommodations will have set meal times and whilst majority of the time you'll likely be free, it can be frustrating if you're missing meals you paid for. I believe there are arrangements which allow you to have a replacement meal if you can't make the set meal times.
In terms of quieter accommodations, ultimately all will have a bit of noise sometimes and parties. You can request to be put in a quiet block. I'd say the more sociable accoms are Lafrowda, East Park and Birks Grange. Generally the smaller accommodations tend too be more quiet so maybe look at ones like the catered halls (e.g., Lopes, Ransom Pickard, Penny Court) or maybe Duryard, Moberly or Rowe House for self-catered.
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending