The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Accommodation Questions Thread

Thanks to my extreme nosiness, I have a pretty good general knowledge when it comes to the various different residences; and I always do like to answer questions - but it's hard to keep up when they pop up all over the place, so let's collect them here...

Who wants to know what?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lafrowda....any good? definitely didn't apply there but alas i shall be in block S....
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Well, ye olde Lafrowda only went up to R (although AB, CD, JK and LM have now been demolished), so I take it that's one of the new en-suite blocks? In which case, as far as I can see, it looks exactly the same as Birks Village (and I do mean exactly, like if you randomly woke up in a room in one of them you'd have to look out of the window to figure out which), only not at the bottom of a large hill, and a bit closer to town. So I reckon you'll be OK!
Reply 3
Is there any en suite accomodation?
how would you say it compares with other unis of a similar size/calibre?
Reply 4
Original post by Persipan
Well, ye olde Lafrowda only went up to R (although AB, CD, JK and LM have now been demolished), so I take it that's one of the new en-suite blocks? In which case, as far as I can see, it looks exactly the same as Birks Village (and I do mean exactly, like if you randomly woke up in a room in one of them you'd have to look out of the window to figure out which), only not at the bottom of a large hill, and a bit closer to town. So I reckon you'll be OK!

no idea haha! ohh fair enough! was thinking i'd be in a bit of a ****hole as people say it is haha! loovely. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lumos
Is there any en suite accomodation?

In the whole University? Yes, loads, catered and self-catered. The thing I'd say about Exeter's accommodation is that, where some unis have just one or two big developments of same-y accommodation, Exeter has far more different residences - ranging from quirky old converted (big!) houses to brand new en-suite stuff.
Reply 6
Original post by sfriday
no idea haha! ohh fair enough! was thinking i'd be in a bit of a ****hole as people say it is haha! loovely. :smile:

You should be able to tell from the price, if it doesn't specifically say! And (assuming I'm right about it being one of the en-suites) those blocks are brand new, so you'll be the first person to live there...
Reply 7
You should be able to tell from the price, if it doesn't specifically say! And (assuming I'm right about it being one of the en-suites) those blocks are brand new, so you'll be the first person to live there...

ah lush! just can't find any actual photos, only artist impressions! yep it's the en-suite so yeahh be nice being the first person to live there. yeah its like 4,950 for the year...that expensive?!
Reply 8
Original post by sfriday
ah lush! just can't find any actual photos, only artist impressions! yep it's the en-suite so yeahh be nice being the first person to live there. yeah its like 4,950 for the year...that expensive?!

Yeah, that'll be en-suite, then. Next time I'm passing I'll zap you some phone pictures to prove it exists!
Reply 9
Yeah, that'll be en-suite, then. Next time I'm passing I'll zap you some phone pictures to prove it exists!

haha that'd be awesome thank you! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by sfriday
haha that'd be awesome thank you! :smile:

OK, here you go... It was a bit tricky to take pictures because they're finishing off all the road surfaces and putting the last twiddly bits on the buildings, so there are fences all over the place at the moment while they get stuff done. Also, sorry everything looks so grey; it was raining!

Most of the new stuff at Lafrowda looks like this:

A couple of the blocks look like this:

(There are two blocks like that; one is en-suite flats - which look, from a bit of peering through the windows, exactly the same as the others - and the second block is studios)

It's all in alongside the existing Lafrowda, Rowe and St German's - I took these to try to give the idea...

That's St German's and the back of one of the studio blocks of Lafrowda.

L-R en-suite Lafrowda, St German's, Lafrowda studios (I think, or possibly more en-suite), more St German's.

L-R Rowe, en-suite Lafrowda, enhanced Lafrowda
Reply 11
Erm .. do you know anything about twin enhanced accomodation in mardon hall or something? because thats what my offer is for, and i am wondering whether to accept, as i am (a little) worried about what sort of person the roommate would be, and how much room there is in said room. (If I come back and the room is full of people that I dont know until the early hours of the morn, i may get p***ed off). So yeah, any worries about crampedness would be good to get out of the way. Ty in advance :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by matteo234
Erm .. do you know anything about twin enhanced accomodation in mardon hall or something? because thats what my offer is for, and i am wondering whether to accept, as i am (a little) worried about what sort of person the roommate would be, and how much room there is in said room. (If I come back and the room is full of people that I dont know until the early hours of the morn, i may get p***ed off). So yeah, any worries about crampedness would be good to get out of the way. Ty in advance :smile:

The thing with Mardon is, it's lovely. It's soooooooo nice. It just has a really nice vibe to it, and no-one ever wants to move out because it's like being part of a family. Everyone gets to know everyone in a way that isn't really possible in somewhere like, say, Holland Hall. And, because it's an older building (the University's first purpose-built accommodation, fact-fans) it has all sorts of communal spaces, which they don't tend to build in the same way anymore, so you don't need to be in one another's pockets all the time.

Twin rooms always have two of everything in them - obviously beds, but also desks, storage, etc. so you shouldn't be falling over one another. And look at it this way; your room-mate is probably wondering the exact same things about you, but you're not planning on having a billion people back 'til 3am every night, so I'm sure it'll be fine - just talk it out between the two of you when you arrive, and work out what's OK and what's not. I know they match up room-mates based on their interests, so they'll have tried to find someone who likes the same kinds of things you like, and I think if you ask the, the Accommodation Office can sometimes put people in touch with their room-mates before they arrive, so you can get to know a bit about each other before you actually arrive.
Reply 13
i'm going to live in birks grange village, self-catered, en-suite, and would love to see some actual photos of what the flats look like. haven't seen any decent pictures on the uni accom page, so don't know what to expect when i move in!
Reply 14
Original post by Blua
i'm going to live in birks grange village, self-catered, en-suite, and would love to see some actual photos of what the flats look like. haven't seen any decent pictures on the uni accom page, so don't know what to expect when i move in!

You've probably seen them already, but if you go through all the pictures here (wait, or click the arrows), you get a bit of an idea. The room pictures there are of a studio, but the en-suites and desks and whatnot are exactly the same in the rooms, just that the bed is a single instead of a double. That kitchen picture is of one of the Birks flats, so you can see a kitchen, at least.

If I'm anywhere nearby and can peer through any windows anytime soon, I will...

Edited to add: there's another kitchen picture here.
(edited 12 years ago)
You've probably seen them already, but if you go through all the pictures here (wait, or click the arrows), you get a bit of an idea. The room pictures there are of a studio, but the en-suites and desks and whatnot are exactly the same in the rooms, just that the bed is a single instead of a double. That kitchen picture is of one of the Birks flats, so you can see a kitchen, at least.

If I'm anywhere nearby and can peer through any windows anytime soon, I will...

Just don't get arrested! :eek:

:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Banana_Llama
Just don't get arrested! :eek:

:wink:

Windows of empty flats! I'm not going to start stalking people!
Windows of empty flats! I'm not going to start stalking people!

Ahaha, alright then... :biggrin:
Don't suppose you're aware of any photos of the Rowancroft area and/or flats? The uni page doesn't have that many in comparison to the others.
Reply 19
Original post by midpikyrozziy
Don't suppose you're aware of any photos of the Rowancroft area and/or flats? The uni page doesn't have that many in comparison to the others.

Have you looked on here? There aren't many of the Court, but there are some of the Mews and House and no-name Rowancroft so it gives you a bit of an idea.

Otherwise, I'll get on it next time I'm up that way. I wanted to go to the photography suppliers in Heavitree Fore Street, anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest