The Student Room Group

Do you give money to the "Homeless"?

Scroll to see replies

You say that, but then 99% of the time white people are more likely to be begging on the street and in my 20-something years of living in this country I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a street beggar who was a PoC. There is no such thing as 'single whites who do not get anything' because there is a system in place in this country that ensures that people get the basic necessities and is very easy to access and in fact many of the beggars on the street are actually on benefits but because of their drug and alcohol addiction they have been left out of pocket which is why they resort to begging in the first place. If the system is easy to exploit as you appear to be suggesting (which I have read as a dig against the dignified immigrants who justly claim the benefits they are entitled to just like everyone else) I want to ask you why then do these single whites do the same? If anything there is no language barrier and they have the privilege of being white and in their own country.

Original post by Sammylou40
Like the charity giving but how on earth can you judge donation by colour????? There are plenty of single whites who don't get anything as well as other ethnic groups who know how to milk the system!!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AshEntropy
Yeah that's the exact thing that makes me not do it :frown:

Well I really hope that that will turn into "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".

Mhm.. I was in the pharmacy a few weeks ago and I saw this guy, clad in tracksuit, with a prescription that he said "Gave him his fix" - what is this?

Methadone maybe.
Reply 42
Original post by SophieSmall
Methadone maybe.

As yes I think I've heard of that before
Original post by Galadrielll
You say that, but then 99% of the time white people are more likely to be begging on the street and in my 20-something years of living in this country I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a street beggar who was a PoC. There is no such thing as 'single whites who do not get anything' because there is a system in place in this country that ensures that people get the basic necessities and is very easy to access and in fact many of the beggars on the street are actually on benefits but because of their drug and alcohol addiction they have been left out of pocket which is why they resort to begging in the first place. If the system is easy to exploit as you appear to be suggesting (which I have read as a dig against the dignified immigrants who justly claim the benefits they are entitled to just like everyone else) I want to ask you why then do these single whites do the same? If anything there is no language barrier and they have the privilege of being white and in their own country.

There are a lot of single whites in this country who do not get benefits and/or housing. Most commonly single men
Of course there are people of all nationalities who know how to milk our system and NHS
Why would you presume that I refer to immigrants?
I am not judgemental. Merely referring to your own prejudices you have tarred every white beggar as a faker and assumed every other ethnic group is genuine. None of my comment shows any prejudice
It is factual. Non white groups are as capable of exploiting the system as a white person
It depends. If I'm in a rush, no. If I'm short for cash, no. If I have no small change, no.
But if I'm not in a hurry and do have small change, often I do give people something.

I'm a utilitarian, and I believe that everybody else's happiness is as important as my own. Anything else would be treating humans unequally, when we're all equal. I don't always manage to live out my beliefs, but I do try. When it comes to a person on the street asking for my money...
First of all, what am I going to do with that money? Normally I come across homeless people when I'm travelling places or out shopping. Small change for me goes on hot drinks and snacks. These are unhealthy. I shouldn't be eating/drinking them, and they are also indulgent... I can meet my own nutritional needs better and more cheaply by packing healthy food. So really... if a homeless person uses my money on alcohol or drugs, I don't think they're wasting it any more than I would be wasting it irresponsibly myself. Why should I hold them up to a higher standard than myself? And why should my instincts to indulge be more important than theirs'? I am a chocolate addict. Addiction to chocolate, or other bad habits of mine like never sleeping... carry much less social stigma than drugs or alcohol do. But if you look at these things honestly, in moral terms they are identical. I am no better than a drug or alcohol addict.

The second reason is that if you are living on the streets and begging, your life has got to suck. Nobody does that if they have the option of a normal life instead. Every day somebody lives like that, they will have people looking at them, judging them, and making them feel like dirt. Yes I'm sure that some exaggerate or lie about their condition in order to get donations, but that doesn't mean that their lives don't also majorly suck. By giving some money, I might help make their life suck a little less. But also it's about being kind and communicating the fact that I recognise that they are people, and that they have worth. Sometimes kindness and acknowledgement are the most important thing you can do for a person... more than the actual money you're giving.

It really makes me sad how the Daily Fail and right wing government have nudged Brits into this miserly attitude, and obsession over whether people 'deserve' benefits or whether they're 'taking responsibility'. Poverty, addiction, homelessness...these are complicated problems that involve a lot more than individuals and their choices. Few humans have meaningful choice anyway. All of us are who we are because we had certain opportunities to choose between. Every human makes choices they regret and does things in their life that are unwise, and have bad consequences. And there are more than enough 'real' homeless people who are truly desperate. Why punish the whole class for the one kid's misbehaviour?

At the end of the day, most of us aren't really going to miss the occasional £2 here and there. So why not use it on making another person less miserable? Or is that latte you were going to drink really going to transform your day in the same way?
the day before we left barcelona, we gave our odd euros to a homeless pregnant women and our remaining food to a guy sleeping on the street
What's so wrong with them spending it on drugs and booze? Many are addicts and they'll withdraw anyway if they don't get it.
That's very nice of you - I hope that they are actually homeless and that you're not being played a fool :h:

Why do you seem to think this is so common? Even if they're not technically homeless if they are begging on the street they're not exactly having a great life.
When you watch them at the end of the day group together to then go and buy some alcohol from the local store, it's a no from me!
only if they sing/ play an instrument
Reply 50
Original post by TraineeBMS
When you watch them at the end of the day group together to then go and buy some alcohol from the local store, it's a no from me!

Totally agree
Reply 51
Original post by Larissa14
only if they sing/ play an instrument

Hahaha well you'd like the Flute Guy in Leeds :h:
If a homeless person says something to me i'll always smile and say hello but I never donate cash unless it's a few coppers. Don't know what they're using it for or even if they're homeless, as I have seen beggars with smartphones on a couple of occasions.

I can't use cashpoints either because there is usually someone there harassing me. The other day I was with a work colleague at a cashpoint because he needed to get money out and someone came up to me asking for change. I politely said no and then the beggar points at my friend and says bluntly "well you're with him".

I completely sympathise with their situation and feel that a succession of Governments (both Labour & Conservative) have not done enough to help people like them, but i'll donate to charity or give non cash donations.
Reply 53
Original post by sr90
If a homeless person says something to me i'll always smile and say hello but I never donate cash unless it's a few coppers. Don't know what they're using it for or even if they're homeless, as I have seen beggars with smartphones on a couple of occasions.

I can't use cashpoints either because there is usually someone there harassing me. The other day I was with a work colleague at a cashpoint because he needed to get money out and someone came up to me asking for change. I politely said no and then the beggar points at my friend and says bluntly "well you're with him".

I completely sympathise with their situation and feel that a succession of Governments (both Labour & Conservative) have not done enough to help people like them, but i'll donate to charity or give non cash donations.

Is it true that there have been a lot of cuts to benefits helping homeless people?
Reply 54
Original post by shawtyb
the day before we left barcelona, we gave our odd euros to a homeless pregnant women and our remaining food to a guy sleeping on the street

Is Barcelona nice? :h:
Is Barcelona nice? :h:

barcelona is so so nice!
really nice architecture, tasteful street graffiti, really friendly people, wild parrot/budgie things flying around and wild lizards and stuff, really good street artists, lots to do, warm sea, beautiful weather, you can pay on your card in a taxi!
Original post by Tabstercat
What's so wrong with them spending it on drugs and booze? Many are addicts and they'll withdraw anyway if they don't get it.

I can't see why people are so bothered by it.

Original post by sr90
I politely said no and then the beggar points at my friend and says bluntly "well you're with him".

That would have annoyed me. Cheeky ****.
Original post by sr90

I don't accept this idea that if they have a smartphone they're not a "proper" homeless person.
Reply 58
Wha? Sorry - I wasn't being sarcastic, I actually meant "what is this" - what is the stuff they give them?

Oh!! God knows. I think substances such as Methadone exist that are a less lethal replacement that is gradually brought down in dosage so the body becomes less and less in need of the fix. Unfortunately this is quite difficult to get
Reply 59
Is it true that there have been a lot of cuts to benefits helping homeless people?

What benefits do you speak of? People who are homeless get no direct benefits. You need an address to receive benefits.

If you mean cuts to services that homeless people might experience some benefit from...yes. The government would rather hide the homeless and councils around the country have been criminalising homelessness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending