The Student Room Group

Electrical engineering graduate for a YEAR with no job and experience.

delete please

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Namod
I am 22 years old with no job and experience. I have an electrical engineering degree from a university with a very high ranking. I also have a First class Honours however what I do not have is the experience. My A-levels and GCSEs are also good. I have been applying for a year now but found nothing. Not only I have no experience but I also am not the best communication wise. I am the guy who does not talk much and is always at home doing nothing so my communication skills has never been good => I am not good at interviews.

I think it will be impossible for me to find a job in my field. So I am not sure what to do now. I do not want to work in a retail (or something like it) all my life. I want to use my brain and I love challenges. I have been at home doing nothing (only internet) for a year now. No idea what to do. Since I am not a communication kind of guy, should I try to improve my communication and social skills? If so how? I hate sports, other activities and I don't have any hobbies. What job can I do? I was thinking of jobs like firefighter but I do not want to a job someone without a degree can do because I would feel really down like I wasted years of my life and so much money. In addition, I believe I am fairly intelligent and I love challenging my brain so I would hate myself all my life for not trying to use it to make great achievements. Please help.

Things I tried:

Trying to find experience/working for free in my field but never managed to find one. I contacted nearby electrical companies but most of them did not need one.

Networking (Linkedin and asking friends)

Jobsites

Applying through companies' websites.

Applying with agencies.

Applying for internships and placements.

Tried probably more but cannot remember. I did lots of research on how to find jobs. I probably tried all methods possible in which people find a job so I don't think my problem is not the technique in which job is found.

So sry to hear that.... may i know what university you graduated from?
Original post by Namod
I am 22 years old with no job and experience. I have an electrical engineering degree from a university with a very high ranking. I also have a First class Honours however what I do not have is the experience. My A-levels and GCSEs are also good. I have been applying for a year now but found nothing. Not only I have no experience but I also am not the best communication wise. I am the guy who does not talk much and is always at home doing nothing so my communication skills has never been good => I am not good at interviews.

I think it will be impossible for me to find a job in my field. So I am not sure what to do now. I do not want to work in a retail (or something like it) all my life. I want to use my brain and I love challenges. I have been at home doing nothing (only internet) for a year now. No idea what to do. Since I am not a communication kind of guy, should I try to improve my communication and social skills? If so how? I hate sports, other activities and I don't have any hobbies. What job can I do? I was thinking of jobs like firefighter but I do not want to a job someone without a degree can do because I would feel really down like I wasted years of my life and so much money. In addition, I believe I am fairly intelligent and I love challenging my brain so I would hate myself all my life for not trying to use it to make great achievements. Please help.

Things I tried:

Trying to find experience/working for free in my field but never managed to find one. I contacted nearby electrical companies but most of them did not need one.

Jobsites

Applying with agencies.

Tried probably more but cannot remember. I did lots of research on how to find jobs. I probably tried all methods possible in which people find a job so I don't think my problem is not the technique in which job is found.

Sounds like you are academically very capable. Have you thought of converting to electronics or software engineering? You are likely to find your personality more suited to this field and should fit in without a problem.

Alternately, are you eligible to join the armed forces? I know it's a big decision, but you will get the training and experience of working with state-of-the-art kit and as an engineer, you won't be put into a front line combat position unless you join the navy!
Original post by Namod
UCL

Thank you for the kind comment. I did already try applying for software and electronics roles since my degree did equip me with some knowledge on these fields too.

I am finding the armed forces option very interesting and I might try it but I feel that it will just be like another graduate scheme application in which I will have to pass so many stages then I will fail one stage.

Have you tried applying for jobs outside London?
Reply 4
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Have you tried applying for jobs outside London?

Yes I tried many places around UK but the problem is not the university. My biggest problem is that I have no experience and my second problem (but not that much of a problem) is that my social skills are not so good.
Original post by Namod

Things I tried:

Jobsites

Applying with agencies.

Tried probably more but cannot remember. I did lots of research on how to find jobs. I probably tried all methods possible in which people find a job so I don't think my problem is the technique in which jobs are found.

The job market is tough and if the requirements of grad recruitment haven't shaped you into a better you by now then that really sucks.

Start your own business if you have the commercial awareness.

My brother is an electrical engineer and my dad is a mechanical engineer. They run their own business in a particular industry, travelling out for repairs/buying repairing and reselling equipment. Sometimes making £1000 in a single day isn't unusual for them.
I take it that your degree is equivalent to a BSEE. Have you tried overseas opportunities? Many offshore firms need to staff jobs, and will consider someone with little/no experience. They generally will want you to work with them domestically for a while, in order to 'train' you, and assess your capabilities. Naturally, some foreign language experience is also a big plus here. We both know that a BSEE does not make you an 'engineer' - using the term in its USA sense, and not as an equivalent to "technician" - the way it is used in the Uk. When i graduated [in1969] with a BSEE, i had about 6 yrs experience working in a small R&D company. My last job there, i ended up as 'project engineer' - i.e. running the project - on a NASA telemetry project. The engineer running the project left the company - so it devolved to me. I finished it up, then went back to school to finish my BSEE [i had dropped out halfway through]. When i graduated [with my BSEE], i then joined the government (as a civilian), and went overseas for nearly 3 years. I ended up as 'site engineer' - responsible for technical operation of a field site, with 5 jr engineers working for me. The pay was OK, i ended up buying a house with the proceeds of my 3 yrs. When i got back, i stayed with the government for about 14 years, found out that i was being grossly underpaid, quit and got a job in private industry [with a 37% raise]. If you do this, don't have illusions that you are going to be in Paris, Stockholm, or D.C. You have to go somewhere nobody else wants to go. Bangladesh, Ivory Coast, Columbia, India, somewhere like that. I was 400 miles from the nearest electric power or telephone [or English-speaking anything]. The sheep were cute though. :redface:) Good luck to you. Computer software is an "up" area, as is "numerically controlled" stuff. Cheers.
this is kinda scary to hear as i am planning to study engineering at uni ;(
One more thing: I am on the "Monster.com" web site - altho i'm partially retired now, and about 3 months ago, they sent me an advert for a job in Belize. This is a former Uk colony, and the "official" language is English. They wanted someone with experience running a field site (technically), which i would be qualified for, but you would not be (yet). They wanted a 1 yr commitment, but the salary offered was (as i recall) about $140,000USD. I was kinda tempted, but decided that i needed to stick around here for now. Many times, they fill lower level jobs with 'local hires', but sometimes you cannot do that. Much of the world considers 'getting an education' as 'memorizing a textbook - word for word'. Of course, that is worthless, because the student has no idea what all that gibberish means, in part because it's in a foreign (for them) language. Good luck. .
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
So sry to hear that.... may i know what university you graduated from?

Dear how is the progress with your job hunt
Original post by Namod

delete please

LOL!!! Your employer will see this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending