The Student Room Group

BEng in EE but which route?

Sorry for the really long post but I need a second opinion or some guidance.
I need some help making a decision do I either:
A: Go to university and study full time for in BEng Electrical Electronic Engineering - Aston University (5 Years)
(The reason why it will be 5 years of study full time is because I have to do a foundation year and one year in the industry work placement).
or
B: Study part time HNC/D remotely and top up to BEng Electrical Electronic Engineering - Oxford Brookes (6 Years)
(HNC - 2 year, HND 3 years and top up to degree level is 1 year).

For some context, I am 21 years old and a technician earning around £30k+ however the reason why I want to enter higher education is mainly because I don't see myself working in this particular role for the next 40+ years of my life and this job seems to have a shelf life; Ideally I would want to work in electrical engineering sector due to my own particular interests.

I have listed the pros and cons for each option A and B - I would like a second opinion.

Pros for option A:
- Have full access to universities equipment for labs e.g. oscilloscopes, CAD software, soldering stations and 3D printer for personal projects.
- Year in the industry placement this would benefit by giving me experience in my field and strengthening my CV.
- Networking with university and other students.
- Group projects and getting involved in university events to broaden my experience.

Cons for option A:
- £9250 per year excluding the placement year.
- If I fail a year, I won't be able to get funding (four year SFE funding?).
- Always playing catch up with students that have done A-Level content before.
- Commuting to the campus (25 minute bus ride).
- Time consuming considering it is full time study - will be 26 when graduating.

Pros for option B:
- Courses are a lot cheaper and minimal debt.
- Flexible and remote learning.
- Able to learn at my own pace.
- Mainly assignments and marked on pass, merit or distinction.
- Course is IET accredited (EdExcel).
- I can work full time and dedicate after work or weekends to study.
Cons for option B:
- Not traditional route, application may be sneered at employers.
- Self studying.
- No access to practical labs or equipment.
- No placement year (experience in field).
- Unable to network with other students.

I am at cross roads and don't know which option to proceed with can somebody give me some insight in regards to the options that I have listed.
Original post by mohsincason
Sorry for the really long post but I need a second opinion or some guidance.
I need some help making a decision do I either:
A: Go to university and study full time for in BEng Electrical Electronic Engineering - Aston University (5 Years)
(The reason why it will be 5 years of study full time is because I have to do a foundation year and one year in the industry work placement).
or
B: Study part time HNC/D remotely and top up to BEng Electrical Electronic Engineering - Oxford Brookes (6 Years)
(HNC - 2 year, HND 3 years and top up to degree level is 1 year).

For some context, I am 21 years old and a technician earning around £30k+ however the reason why I want to enter higher education is mainly because I don't see myself working in this particular role for the next 40+ years of my life and this job seems to have a shelf life; Ideally I would want to work in electrical engineering sector due to my own particular interests.

I have listed the pros and cons for each option A and B - I would like a second opinion.

Pros for option A:
- Have full access to universities equipment for labs e.g. oscilloscopes, CAD software, soldering stations and 3D printer for personal projects.
- Year in the industry placement this would benefit by giving me experience in my field and strengthening my CV.
- Networking with university and other students.
- Group projects and getting involved in university events to broaden my experience.

Cons for option A:
- £9250 per year excluding the placement year.
- If I fail a year, I won't be able to get funding (four year SFE funding?).
- Always playing catch up with students that have done A-Level content before.
- Commuting to the campus (25 minute bus ride).
- Time consuming considering it is full time study - will be 26 when graduating.

Pros for option B:
- Courses are a lot cheaper and minimal debt.
- Flexible and remote learning.
- Able to learn at my own pace.
- Mainly assignments and marked on pass, merit or distinction.
- Course is IET accredited (EdExcel).
- I can work full time and dedicate after work or weekends to study.
Cons for option B:
- Not traditional route, application may be sneered at employers.
- Self studying.
- No access to practical labs or equipment.
- No placement year (experience in field).
- Unable to network with other students.

I am at cross roads and don't know which option to proceed with can somebody give me some insight in regards to the options that I have listed.

I'd like to point out that I've spoke to student finance about funding and they provide funding for the length of your course plus 1 year, so even if you fail you should get funding but it might be worth double checking.
I wouldn't recommend working full time whilst also studying, it'll be too much, work part time if you can, don't let your studies suffer
As for playing catch up with A Level students at uni, not all of them will have come straight from college, some students will have done access course, for example.

It is ultimately your choice, just take some time to think it through. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest