The Student Room Group

Stay in engineering or switch to economics next year?

Hi, I'm a first year doing electronic and electrical engineering in the UK. I tried to switch from my course to economics but I'm not able to unless I drop out and start at the beginning of the next academic year in September 2024 (basically a gap year). If I do this I will be guaranteed a place on the course, accommodation etc so there's no risk of reapplying. Also, if I decide by Christmas I will only have to pay 25% of the fees and will be able to get full funding for another course.

I already despise my course, but I was willing to put up with it because I believed it would give me financial stability after getting my bachelor’s. I also believe that I would have the widest range of options and flexibility regarding job choices if I completed an engineering degree. However, I've found out that an economics bachelor’s leads to about the same pay as an engineer, has a similar employment rate after university and can lead to an extreme range of job choices.

I'm thinking of changing to economics next year as the degree seems just as valuable and far more manageable. However, I still recognise that economics is a fairly difficult degree. I didn't do it at A-Levels, so I will take the time to research the subject in my gap year. I also planned to take a gap year before university so I have things ready I can do in my time off.

I am not passionate about either course but I believe the chances of me passing economics with a decent grade are higher than if I stay in electrical engineering. Obviously, I’d rather have a manageable university experience than be constantly stressed for 3 years if the outcome of both degrees is similar. If anyone is studying economics, could you give me an idea of the difficulty and what you study?

The gap year may even be good for me in general to explore what I want to do as a career (I currently have no idea), different jobs and to build up good study habits for when I return to university as I’ve always struggled with revision and procrastination.

Is engineering worth it or should I switch to economics?
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm a first year doing electronic and electrical engineering in the UK. I tried to switch from my course to economics but I'm notable to unless I drop out and start at the beginning of the next academic year in September 2024 (basically a gap year). If I do this Iwill be guaranteed a place on the course, accommodation etc so there's no risk of reapplying. Also, if I decide by Christmas I willonly have to pay 25% of the fees and will be able to get full funding for another course.

I already despise my course, but I was willing to put up with it because I believed it would give me financial stability after getting my bachelor’s. I also believe that I would have the widest range of options and flexibility regarding job choices if I completed an engineering degree. However, I've found out that an economics bachelor’s leads to about the same pay as an engineer, has a similar employment rate after university and can lead to an extreme range of job choices.

I'm thinking of changing to economics next year as the degree seems just as valuable and far more manageable. However, I still recognise that economics is a fairly difficult degree. I didn't do it at A-Levels, so I will take the time to research the subject in my gap year. I also planned to take a gap year before university so I have things ready I can do in my time off.

I am not passionate about either course but I believe the chances of me passing economics with a decent grade are higher than if I stay in electrical engineering. Obviously, I’d rather have a manageable university experience than be constantly stressed for 3 years if the outcome of both degrees is similar. If anyone is studying economics, could you give me an idea of the difficulty and what you study?

The gap year may even be good for me in general to explore what I want to do as a career (I currently have no idea), different jobs and to build up good study habits for when I return to university as I’ve always struggled with revision and procrastination.

(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Stick with engineering. Reading economics simply to chase the dollar is the worst idea I can think of. If you view your degree simply as a means to an end (a job), and you aren't particularly invested in either engineering or economics, then why on earth would you scrap a year (at the cost of multiple thousands of pounds) to go back to square one in a discipline you know nothing about?
You should not be doing any degree if you do not like the subjects.
Hi, I'm a first year doing electronic and electrical engineering. I tried to switch from my course to economics but I'm not able to unless I drop out and start at the beginning of the next academic year in September 2024 (basically a gap year). If I do this I will be guaranteed a place on the course, accommodation etc so there's no risk of reapplying.

Original post by Trinculo
Stick with engineering. Reading economics simply to chase the dollar is the worst idea I can think of. If you view your degree simply as a means to an end (a job), and you aren't particularly invested in either engineering or economics, then why on earth would you scrap a year (at the cost of multiple thousands of pounds) to go back to square one in a discipline you know nothing about?

Mainly because economics is far easier than engineering, and I don't know the likelihood of me passing my current course. I may end up failing and being forced to change/retake anyway. I don't know any more about engineering than I do about economics really, so not knowing about it fully isn't a drawback for me.
Original post by random_matt

There isn't any degree I want to pursue but getting one is pretty much a necessity for me.
Original post by random_matt

I agree, just a waste of money and the taxpayer’s money, also uses up your Student Finance.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I agree, just a waste of money and the taxpayer’s money, also uses up your Student Finance.

Then what should I do instead?
Original post by BananaB0y

I have no idea but there are things such as apprenticeships, going straight to work etc.

Find something you're passionate in! I honestly don't believe that there aren't any degrees which suit your interests. Pursuing either engineering or economics is very risky, since it seems as if you don't like either of them. Even if economics is 'easier', there is a chance you won't enjoy it, and so you still might do badly because of low motivation.
Take your gap year and figure out what you want to do with your future. Don't rely on salaries or job prospects, but focus on which degree suits you best.
Reply 11
There isn't any degree I want to pursue but getting one is pretty much a necessity for me.

How do you find the rest of university? The social side etc? Don't tell me you live at home.
Original post by Trinculo
How do you find the rest of university? The social side etc? Don't tell me you live at home.

The rest of university is great, that’s why I would definitely return next year. I already have a good social life, the facilities are great and I enjoy the overall environment. The only part I dislike is the course.
Original post by aloevera4
Find something you're passionate in! I honestly don't believe that there aren't any degrees which suit your interests. Pursuing either engineering or economics is very risky, since it seems as if you don't like either of them. Even if economics is 'easier', there is a chance you won't enjoy it, and so you still might do badly because of low motivation.
Take your gap year and figure out what you want to do with your future. Don't rely on salaries or job prospects, but focus on which degree suits you best.

Thanks for your advice! I’m definitely considering it. I’m at weird point where I don’t want to do anything at the moment so unfortunately it’s not just as simple as doing something else I’m “passionate” about. However, I definitely think university is the best option as it gives me the most freedom and flexibility in later life.
Hi, I'm a first year doing electronic and electrical engineering. I tried to switch from my course to economics but I'm not able to unless I drop out and start at the beginning of the next academic year in September 2024 (basically a gap year). If I do this I will be guaranteed a place on the course, accommodation etc so there's no risk of reapplying.

From what you've posted you should definitely switch to economics.
Reply 15
I agree. Find something that you are passionate at.

I personally think you're picking the subjects and doing uni for all the wrong reasons if you're not passionate about your subjects, but then that's me.

When I studied economics, I found it rather manageable. It involves a lot of reading by any means, and the content isn't really that maths heavy unless you choose to study mathematical economics. A lot of the theory is straightforward once you grasp the models they use.
Typical books I would recommend looking into are:

Principles of Macroeconomics by Mankiw

Basic econometrics by Gujarati

Essential mathematics for economic analysis by Hammond et al.

Further mathematics for economic analysis by Hammond et al.

If you're stuck on the maths (which you shouldn't be), there's Introduction to Mathematical Economics by Dowling which is a good book for revision, and then there's Mathematics for Economics and Business by Jacques.

I am not sure how it compares to electrical engineering, but I can only answer that question later after I read up on the subject (or do a degree in it).

I also have zero idea of what you mean by "worth it", and I get annoyed by such vague questions. Whether something is worth it to someone would depend on the individual and the individual criteria. I could say it's definitely worth it, and you could finish Year 3, graduate, and then curse the heavens for ever listening to me because my criteria would be completely different to yours. (For one, I don't go to uni for the sake of it or just for the money - you're going to get a very rude awakening upon graduation with this mindset.)
(edited 5 months ago)
I am not passionate about either course

Then don't do either course. Do another course which you are passionate about.

Research has found that graduate career outcomes are equivalent for STEM and non-STEM grads in the long run anyway: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

So if you really actually just love art history, do that! Or whatever it may be. At the end of the day, within 5-10 years of graduating you'll be in the same place as if you did engineering or economics or theoretical quantum biology.
Original post by artful_lounger
Then don't do either course. Do another course which you are passionate about.

Research has found that graduate career outcomes are equivalent for STEM and non-STEM grads in the long run anyway: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

So if you really actually just love art history, do that! Or whatever it may be. At the end of the day, within 5-10 years of graduating you'll be in the same place as if you did engineering or economics or theoretical quantum biology.

Thanks so much for your advice, but I simply don’t have anything in passionate in at the moment. It’s not as simple as me just picking a course I like at uni because I couldn’t care less about any of them. There’s nothing I’d like to do outside of uni either, so I can’t go straight into work or an apprenticeship cause, again, there’s nothing I’m interested in. Whenever I say this I always get met with “there must be something” but there genuinely isn’t and this is why I’ve asked the question above because I’ve got to the point where I just want to do something that will secure me a decent future career.
Original post by MindMax2000
I personally think you're picking the subjects and doing uni for all the wrong reasons if you're not passionate about your subjects, but then that's me.

When I studied economics, I found it rather manageable. It involves a lot of reading by any means, and the content isn't really that maths heavy unless you choose to study mathematical economics. A lot of the theory is straightforward once you grasp the models they use.
Typical books I would recommend looking into are:

Principles of Macroeconomics by Mankiw

Basic econometrics by Gujarati

Essential mathematics for economic analysis by Hammond et al.

Further mathematics for economic analysis by Hammond et al.

If you're stuck on the maths (which you shouldn't be), there's Introduction to Mathematical Economics by Dowling which is a good book for revision, and then there's Mathematics for Economics and Business by Jacques.

I am not sure how it compares to electrical engineering, but I can only answer that question later after I read up on the subject (or do a degree in it).

I also have zero idea of what you mean by "worth it", and I get annoyed by such vague questions. Whether something is worth it to someone would depend on the individual and the individual criteria. I could say it's definitely worth it, and you could finish Year 3, graduate, and then curse the heavens for ever listening to me because my criteria would be completely different to yours. (For one, I don't go to uni for the sake of it or just for the money - you're going to get a very rude awakening upon graduation with this mindset.)

Thanks for all the info, I know what you’re saying but like what I said in my other response I simply have no passions at the moment.

By “worth it” I’m just asking if I’ll be able to get a stable career stemming from the degree.

And where did you study economics?

Quick Reply

Latest