Can someone please explain me !!
The charge has to be conserved as well as lepton number I believe
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Needchemhlp
The charge has to be conserved

I have doubt between A and C ??
Why not C ?
This is to do with the conservation of quantum numbers (charge, baryon number, electron number, muon number, and strangeness). In particular for this example, we're trying to find where lepton numbers are (and are not) conserved.

Interaction A:
Charge: Is conserved - an initial charge of zero is countered by a negative and a positive particle, and a neutral particle.
Baryon Number: Is conserved - none of these particles are baryons;
Electron Number: Is conserved - none of these particles are electrons;
Muon Number: Is conserved - the anti-muon's lepton number of +1 is countered by the muon neutrino's lepton number of -1;
Strangeness: Need not be conserved - this is a weak interaction, in which strangeness can (but won't always) change by 1.

You can repeat this process for the other interactions to determine which are possible and which are not.

Hope that helps!
Reply 5
Original post by SummerStrawberry
This is to do with the conservation of quantum numbers (charge, baryon number, electron number, muon number, and strangeness). In particular for this example, we're trying to find where lepton numbers are (and are not) conserved.

Interaction A:
Charge: Is conserved - an initial charge of zero is countered by a negative and a positive particle, and a neutral particle.
Baryon Number: Is conserved - none of these particles are baryons;
Electron Number: Is conserved - none of these particles are electrons;
Muon Number: Is conserved - the anti-muon's lepton number of +1 is countered by the muon neutrino's lepton number of -1;
Strangeness: Need not be conserved - this is a weak interaction, in which strangeness can (but won't always) change by 1.

You can repeat this process for the other interactions to determine which are possible and which are not.

Hope that helps!

What do you mean by ELECTRON NUMBER ??
I have never heard of it !
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NNB_Herath
What do you mean my ELECTRON NUMBER ??
I have never heard of it !

Im not sure about electron number either but he/she is right but you only need really charge and lepton conservation.
Reply 7
Original post by Needchemhlp
Im not sure about electron number either but he/she is right but you only need really charge and lepton conservation.

You can only ignore B because of charge conservation.
You can ignore D because of lepton number conservation.

But I am having the doubt between A and C because they both have satisfying charge and lepton numbers .

Why not C ?? What is Electron Number ??
Instead of having a lepton number, each of the leptons have their own quantum numbers that need to be conserved (but only the electron and muon will come up). So both electron number and muon number need to be conserved
Reply 9
Original post by AHappyStudent
Instead of having a lepton number, each of the leptons have their own quantum numbers that need to be conserved (but only the electron and muon will come up). So both electron number and muon number need to be conserved

Hmmmmmm
Quite reasonable......By the way I guess this is it !!
Thanks for the help.

But it would be much more of a help if you can give me a more detailed explanation :smile:
Do you always have to consider individual electron or muon number in interactions ???
Do you always have to consider individual electron or muon number in interactions ???

If there is a single type of lepton (not counting neutrinos as a different type) then you are basically just considering the lepton number. It's the same thing but the different types are independant of each other and all need to be conserved.

It will come up in questions so you may need to use it. When specifying them call them the 'electron lepton number' or the 'muon electron number'.

Electrons have an electron number of +1 and a muon number of 0.
Muons have an electron number of 0 and a muon number of +1.
Neutrinos have the same numbers as their corresponding heavier leptons

Antiparticles have the negative values as usual
Original post by AHappyStudent
If there is a single type of lepton (not counting neutrinos as a different type) then you are basically just considering the lepton number. It's the same thing but the different types are independant of each other and all need to be conserved.

It will come up in questions so you may need to use it. When specifying them call them the 'electron lepton number' or the 'muon electron number'.

Electrons have an electron number of +1 and a muon number of 0.
Muons have an electron number of 0 and a muon number of +1.
Neutrinos have the same numbers as their corresponding heavier leptons

Antiparticles have the negative values as usual

Okk !!
Thanks
Reply 13
Answer the question below !

Be is not possible because charge isn't conserved. C and D are not possible because the specific lepton numbers for electrons and muons are not conserved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest