The Student Room Group

Hard A* GCSE Question Challenge - Perfect for Edexcel Calculator Paper Revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am making the solutions for these questions now, and will shortly upload.
Original post by gurpartapl
Edexcel has given previous questions in maths gcse that requires the students to choose suitable values of things, so for example, if you got 9.2.... so on... number of sweets. You to make a decision that you cannot have 9.2 number of sweets therefore round down to 9... Sorry if it confused you. @hamza772000 and thanks for doing these questions.
Okay, right, no problem, and thank you for posting these questions, if something like this comes up now I would know what to do, thanks again man.:smile:
Reply 22
Edexcel has given previous questions in maths gcse that requires the students to choose suitable values of things, so for example, if you got 9.2.... so on... number of sweets. You to make a decision that you cannot have 9.2 number of sweets therefore round down to 9... Sorry if it confused you. @hamza772000 and thanks for doing these questions.

chance of getting two blue sweets 6/30
6*5 both equals 30
then 3*2 is six ( as you take one away sweet away)
3/6 are blue and 3/6 are yellow
so 10 yellow sweets.
Not to sure if this question works
Reply 23
Original post by BW2206
chance of getting two blue sweets 6/30
6*5 both equals 30
then 3*2 is six ( as you take one away sweet away)
3/6 are blue and 3/6 are yellow
so 10 yellow sweets.
Not to sure if this question works

This question was inspired from hannah's sweets question, so i may have overlooked this method of answering the question, i wanted the students to approach this question algebraically (ie form a quadratic equation) so i didn't consider this way, that is my fault.

Looking at your working out though, i am not sure why you multiplied 6 by 5 and then 3*2.. could you explain your method? @BW2206

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Solutions uploaded guys, check it out.
for question 1 how do you get the answer for C, when you add 3 + 28/9 doesnt it give u 28/3.. lol tell me what i done wrong
Thanks so much for this! Appreciate the time you took to make these questions and solutions. Funnily enough, I found question 1 the hardest and the other two questions easier haha. I got the same answers as you too btw :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by mariyahx
for question 1 how do you get the answer for C, when you add 3 + 28/9 doesnt it give u 28/3.. lol tell me what i done wrong

Make the 3, into a fractional form so 3/1
Make the denominator for both the fractions the same, in this case multiply (3/1)top and bottom by 9... So you get 27/9... Now if you add 27/9 + 28/9 (basically add the top numbers as denominators the same), you get 55/9..

Use the calculator and u get 55/9.
(edited 7 years ago)
where did u get the 27/9 from
Make the 3, into a fractional form so 3/1
Make the denominator for both the fractions the same, in this case multiply top and bottom by 9... So you get 27/9... Now if you add 27/9 + 28/9 (basically add the top numbers as denominators the same), you get 55/9..

Use the calculator and u get 55/9.
Reply 29
Original post by mariyahx
where did u get the 27/9 from

By multiplying the top and bottom of the fraction 3/1 by 9... (3×9)/(1×9).. The reason you multiply it by 9 is because you want to get the denominators of the two fractions the same, so you can add them.

This is a calculator question so just use a calc to avoid the trouble.
thanks makes sense now
By multiplying the top and bottom of the fraction 3/1 by 9... (3×9)/(1×9).. The reason you multiply it by 9 is because you want to get the denominators of the two fractions the same, so you can add them.

This is a calculator question so just use a calc to avoid the trouble.
Hi guys,
created these questions myself and are very challenging. These types of questions are usually found at the end of the paper and require logical thinking and problem solving skills. The document i've attached contains 3 questions, ordered from easiest to hardest. Give them a go and tell me how you found those questions. If you become stuck simply notify me, and i can help you out. ~ Enjoy

All these questions are not drawn to scale

I have UPDATED the document with some changes to the final question as i noticed that some people might be prone to rounding errors... ( On the last question make sure you round your calculations in your working out to 3 sf, so that your final answer is unaffected)

Detailed solutions added

Thanks for the work of putting these questions together :smile:
To be honest I thought these questions were a bit too elongated, and a bit too complicated than it would and normally is.

But thanks still!
Reply 32
The answer for the first question needs to include x. The answer is y=-14/9x +55/9
My solution to the last Q was: 1. Sine rule with the figures already given to find angle BVC (74.6) which will also be VBP because alternate angles on parallel lines are equal (also angle BPV because isoscelese.)
2. Take away angles 40 and 74.6 from triangle (180) to find angle BCV (65.4)
3. Sine rule to get BV(5.7)
4. Use CAH on triangle BZV and then double the answer to get 3.0.

This is less monsterous and suits the number of marks awarded :smile:
Did 'em all
Original post by Johnthetank
Did 'em all

You truly are a genius kiddo
I'm appalled by Q2. The question makes no sense at all.If there's 9 blue sweets, the probability of taking 2 blues is 18/95 = 0.18947 approx.You have stated the probability is 0.2 which is clearly false.If you say the probability is 0.2 to 1sf, then number of blues could be 9 or 10.Should have just used a different value from 20 so you could use a nice exact probability.
I'm appalled by Q2. The question makes no sense at all.If there's 9 blue sweets, the probability of taking 2 blues is 18/95 = 0.18947 approx.You have stated the probability is 0.2 which is clearly false.If you say the probability is 0.2 to 1sf, then number of blues could be 9 or 10.Should have just used a different value from 20 so you could use a nice exact probability.
Thank you!!
Hi guys,
created these questions myself and are very challenging. These types of questions are usually found at the end of the paper and require logical thinking and problem solving skills. The document i've attached contains 3 questions, ordered from easiest to hardest. Give them a go and tell me how you found those questions. If you become stuck simply notify me, and i can help you out. ~ Enjoy

All these questions are not drawn to scale

I have UPDATED the document with some changes to the final question as i noticed that some people might be prone to rounding errors... ( On the last question make sure you round your calculations in your working out to 3 sf, so that your final answer is unaffected)

Detailed solutions added

This was an excellent set of questions thank you very much!
For the last one I got BP=3.4 because I rounded my answers to 3sf like you said in the OP. This was amazing and I do AQA which is nowhere near as difficult as these but I love a good challenge :wink: I wish you would create more though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest