The Student Room Group

B4-6 OCR Gateway GCSE Unofficial Markscheme

B4

1) About Photosynthesis
a)Photosynthesis (1)
b)Priestley (1)
c)There was more PS happening in the early evening as there was more light than in the early morning so more O2 would be produced around early evening (2/3)

6 marker on Osmosis
From Solutions with conc 0-1%, the water conc is higher on the outside so the net movement of water will go into the blood cell, increasing pressure resulting in LYSIS
From Solutions with conc 1&2%, water conc is higher on the inside so net movement of water will go out of the blood cell. Definitely in the solution of 2% did CRENATION happen as the water is drawn out of the RBC causing it to shrivel and crinkle

Something about fish- fish gills are adapted to taking oxygen out of the water through diffusion but isn't adapted to taking O2 out of the air so they are limited to the water (3)

the transpiration experiment shows that as the wind speed is increased transpiration rate increases as the distance moved by the air bubbles is greater. however the transpiration rate does not increase as much as wind speed changes from medium to high (air bubble only moves a further 2mm) (2)

Capture, recapture question
-37 newts (2)

1. as time increases more and more of the animal(forgot what it was) decreases
2. however between fourth and fifth year there is the biggest decrease (2)

why this might not be accurate:
-the marking might have made the animal more visible to predators so could affact individuals chances of survival
-the sample may have been affected because the newts breeding grounds could have changed time or season from spring

difference between community+population (1)
population - same species
community- diff species

Something about Yeast to increase numbers: regulate temp, O2, food, waste products, pH (2)

stomata question about adaptations to water loss:
-Guard cells can control when the stomata is open and closed
-There are few stomata on the upper surface of the leaf (3)
B5
6 marker on contraceptive pills
The pill of mainly progesterone and oestrogen mimics pregnancy
Graph B shows higher,constant levels of oestrogen and progesterone which inhibits FSH and LH. FSH makes egg mature and LH results in the release of an egg shown in graph A but in graph B, neither of these occur because its release is inhibited
I also said how the lack of progesterone at the start of graph B indicated that a period happened, causing the uterus lining to be shed, reducing the chance of pregnancy

Advantages and dis of hydroponics: (2)
It can be grown in an area of poor soil and limited land
Fertilisers and minerals in the solution need to be constantly replaced

Asbestosis: Where the particulates from asbestos get into the lungs, causing irritation which can lead to chest pain and damage to the lungs (3)

Bone q:
As a baby, our bones have a lot of cartilage but as we get older, minerals such as calcium replace this in ossification, so bone mass increases however as we get older less ossification happens and so bone mass decreases (3)
The females with osteoporosis was 33.3% (1)
the data showed that females were more likely to have osteoporosis as they have a greater decrease in bone mass than men (1)
farmers in africa use intensive farming as they have better control of temperature and are able to provide the crops with a constant supply of minerals+water allowing them to grow their crops more effectively than in organic farming (2)

B6
outbreak of cholera (2)
-lack of sewage system after earthquake so water is contaminated
-lack of healthcare and medicine so cholera can be spread very easily

Whales and toxins (3)
-the toxin is not biodegradable and bioaccumulates up each trophic level
-low conc at phytoplankton so little harm to lance fish but high conc in killer whales which can cause disease

life expectancy question (2)
The line on the graph should be gradually increasing but plateau off

- advances in medicine
-less industrial disease
-better diets and health

NHS question about artificial lung: (3)
Pro: NHS should provide free healthcare for everyone, not many people will need this artificial lung, reducing costs
Con: Cost way too much money to make and insert and maintain, smoking is an optional habit and taxpayer money can be better spent on other diseases such as cancer

6 marker on soil (got this wrong in the exam :frown: )
A-sand: lost the least water and had the lowest humus content
B-clay: lost the most water and had the medium humus content
C-loam lost mediocre water and had the highest humus content
(got B and C muddled up in the exam)

DNA Fingerprinting-
Suspect 2 because the fragments match exactly and line up (2)

DNA Fingerprinting is due to a part of DNA, extracted from the hair, blood or semen and a fragment is cut through restriction enzymes. The fragment is now put in a gel and electricity is passed through and since DNA is slightly negative, it moves up the gel with the smallest fragments travelling further. Then a radioactive probe is placed on and so scientists can see it in the dark (3)

SECTION D: (where were the calculations :frown: )
Brazil- 11.8% of the world (1)
Because Brazil has a lot of sugar can and low oil reserves (1)
Gasohol: The boy's (Oliver) claim is not supported as the graph shows that deforestation actually decreased. (2)

Human Brain Size thingy:
The trend shows that the size of human brains are increasing EXPONENTIALLY (2)
I think Claire was right as the graph shows that ^(2)
Humans don't follow the trend as the relative brain size is one of the largest but is supposed to statistically have one of the smallest
(2)
Last question about brain size and IQ: no correlation, dunno where the other mark was from (2)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

life expectancy question
- advances in medicine
-less industrial disease
Ah I think I got round 65 depending on how my six-mark questions were marked

What I find so funny is that I got question 1c. - probably the easiest question out of the whole paper wrong because I didn't read the question properly:s-smilie:
Original post by urgurlbecca

What I find so funny is that I got question 1c. - probably the easiest question out of the whole paper wrong because I didn't read the question properly:s-smilie:

was having the correct ph also an answer for increasing the rate of yeast do u know?
Original post by azizkahdijaaaa
life expectancy question
- advances in medicine
-less industrial disease

thanks for reminding :smile:
Original post by azizkahdijaaaa
was having the correct ph also an answer for increasing the rate of yeast do u know?

yeah sorry forgot to put that in
Reply 6
what other questions were there

Don't feel I did well in this paper :frown: but got like low 60 or something. B1-3 was good for me tho which is a plus
What I remember -

b4
the transpiration experiment shows that as the wind speed is increased transpiration rate increases as the distance moved by the air bubbles is greater. however the transpiration rate does not increase as much as wind speed changes from medium to high (air bubble only moves a further 2mm) (2)

b5
for the yeast question you could have also talked about optimum pH for the yeast enzymes
the data showed that females were more likely to have osteoporosis as they have a greater decrease in bone mass than men (1)
farmers in africa use intensive farming as they have better control of temperature and are able to provide the crops with a constant supply of minerals+water allowing them to grow their crops more effectively than in organic farming (2)

b6:
-brazil has the greatest amount of the biofuel as it has a lots of sugar cane and few oil reserves so its production is more economically viable

SD:
the guy was right, although the data says that human brain volume isn't increasing, we can see from the trend in the graph that humans are continually evolving so can change in other ways (2)
Original post by TheNlee
Don't feel I did well in this paper :frown: but got like low 60 or something. B1-3 was good for me tho which is a plus

Low 60 should still get you a solid A* though considering the biology grade boundaries are usually quite low
Low 60 should still get you a solid A* though considering the biology grade boundaries are usually quite low

i hope so
Oh and there was also an estimating population size question in b4 i think I got like 30 something
What I remember -

b4

b5
for the yeast question you could have also talked about optimum pH for the yeast enzymes

b6:
-brazil has the greatest amount of the biofuel as it has a lots of sugar cane and few oil reserves so its production is more economically viable

SD:
the guy was right, although the data says that human brain volume isn't increasing, we can see from the trend in the graph that humans are continually evolving so can change in other ways (2)

really, i thought the girl was right as the question asked from the data which one is right. You can't really conclude that the human brain hasn't changed brain size in different ways
Original post by TheNlee
really, i thought the girl was right as the question asked from the data which one is right. You can't really conclude that the human brain hasn't changed brain size in different ways

idk the data said that brain size hadn't changed in thousands of years so it was unlikely that the human brain size would change

the guy never said that he thought brain size would change, he thought there could be other changes to the brain which would follow the pattern of continual evolution
Reply 14
was there a whale one and a cholera one
Original post by pratam
was there a whale one and a cholera one

Oh yeah the cholera question:
people often housed in temporary camps where sanitation is poor so cholera spreads easily+damage to water/sewage systems can result in contaminated drinking water leading to cholera
Reply 16
Original post by TheNlee
i hope so

Do you think the grade boundaries will be around 55 like last year
the stomata question
i wrote bout guard cells and something else??
the calcium q
i think i wrote bout ossification?
the accumulation of toxics in a food chain q too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending