The Student Room Group

Should I get my results remarked?

Hey, I just received my exam results to find that I was 1 mark away from a 9 in Computer Science, 2 marks away from a 9 in Maths and 3 marks away from an 8 in German. Would it be worth getting them remarked or does the cost of each remark plus the risk of losing marks and perhaps going down a grade outweigh the gain from moving from 8s to 9s and a 7 to an 8?
Hi,
When I did my GCSES i recieved a 7 in english language and 77 in combined science, I wanted to remark and everyone told me not to but I did anyways and I managed to go up 2 grades from combined science achieving 8-8 and one grade up for english too -8. I would say go for it, if you are only a couple marks away then there is a higher chance the grade goes up.
Good luck and your grades are great regardless of whether you go forward with this or not
Reply 2
Original post by emmyisthebest01
Hi,
When I did my GCSES i recieved a 7 in english language and 77 in combined science, I wanted to remark and everyone told me not to but I did anyways and I managed to go up 2 grades from combined science achieving 8-8 and one grade up for english too -8. I would say go for it, if you are only a couple marks away then there is a higher chance the grade goes up.
Good luck and your grades are great regardless of whether you go forward with this or not

Ok, thanks a bunch for the info!
Original post by Ametsque
Hey, I just received my exam results to find that I was 1 mark away from a 9 in Computer Science, 2 marks away from a 9 in Maths and 3 marks away from an 8 in German. Would it be worth getting them remarked or does the cost of each remark plus the risk of losing marks and perhaps going down a grade outweigh the gain from moving from 8s to 9s and a 7 to an 8?

You're very unlikely to go down a grade if you remark those three papers, since they're so close to the next grade boundary. Remarking GCSE grades that good already won't really affect anything in your future life (e.g. uni admissions pretty much only care about you A Level results), so only purchase a remark if you care about your results going up for your personal satisfaction. If so, Computer Science and Maths may be worth trying, you're unlikely to get three more marks in German but you can give it a go.
Reply 4
Original post by BlueBazooka
You're very unlikely to go down a grade if you remark those three papers, since they're so close to the next grade boundary. Remarking GCSE grades that good already won't really affect anything in your future life (e.g. uni admissions pretty much only care about you A Level results), so only purchase a remark if you care about your results going up for your personal satisfaction. If so, Computer Science and Maths may be worth trying, you're unlikely to get three more marks in German but you can give it a go.

Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind if I do end up requesting remarks. Thanks alot for the reply!
If your exam board is Edexcel or AQA you should be able to view scripts to decide whether it's worth a remark. Your teacher should be able to check it against the markscheme.
Hi, Apologies jumping onto this thread, my son received a grade 8 in economics (OCR), he is one mark of 9, any thoughts if we should go for a review?Thank you in advance.
Original post by JaggyRaji
Hi, Apologies jumping onto this thread, my son received a grade 8 in economics (OCR), he is one mark of 9, any thoughts if we should go for a review?Thank you in advance.

If it’s for personal satisfaction purposes, then yes, go ahead.

Otherwise, there isn’t much point.
Original post by TypicalNerd
If it’s for personal satisfaction purposes, then yes, go ahead.

Otherwise, there isn’t much point.

Also @JaggyRaji, are you aware that if a remark is successful in getting your son up a grade, you are given a refund?

As it’s only 1 mark off, there’s actually a pretty good prospect of success.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Also @JaggyRaji, are you aware that if a remark is successful in getting your son up a grade, you are given a refund?

As it’s only 1 mark off, there’s actually a pretty good prospect of success.

Yes, I am aware of the refund, the remark is coming more so from my son as he feels he did better than the mark given hence why the review, I am more than satisfied with his results. thank you.
Reply 11
i got 6-5 and i needed 6-6 for biology a level im one mark off that should i consider getting a remark?
Original post by JaggyRaji

Go for it!
Original post by kmxd
i got 6-5 and i needed 6-6 for biology a level im one mark off that should i consider getting a remark?

when I got my combined science paper marked I went up by 2 grades, so honestly go for it
Original post by kmxd

Go for it.

There’s a pretty good chance that you’ll get your extra mark and be refunded.
Reply 15
Original post by emmyisthebest01
Hi,
How long did it take you to get the remark ?

And the cost along with it

Quick Reply

Latest