The Student Room Group

Gcse ocr classics

hey guys
im in yr 10 and recently we did our mocks, and one of my main concerns was classics. im predicted a 9 in all of my other subjects, apart frm classics which im predicted a 7 in (i dont understand how they collated the info to form that prediction as we only started doing classics in yr10 and the mocks i previously mentioned were the first actual exam that we sat for classics). when we got out results back i was rlly disappointed cuz i got a grade 6. i mean i didnt revise all that much for the test but the topics that came up i cld answer, and, b4 getting my results back, i thought i had answered them correctly (at least to some extent).

but when we did get the results back, i had lost a lot of marks, esp in the 3, 4 and 6 markers. my teacher is a pretty strict marker, and often too strict, so i argued some marks in.

but still i had thought i ahad done pretty well, but the mark scheme is ALWAYS my downfall. they r so specific, and sometimes have the randomest answers.

i guess what im worried abt is adhering to the mark scheme in the real exams, and to revise according to what they r looking for. but idk what they r looking for.
i wld be very grateful if someone cld offer some guidance on this, as im rlly hoping to get all 9s in my gcses.
also any tips on the 15 marker? if someone could please share useful revision guides, i wld also be v thankful.
thank you in advance!
Where are you falling down? The 1-2 marker questions, or the longer essay questions?
The shorter questions are specific, yes. You either know the answers or you don't.
The longer essay based questions are supposed to be marked positively - i.e. the examiner will look for points you have made that they can give you points for, rather than pulling you down for things you have failed to say. And if you have made a valid point, even if it's not in the official mark scheme, often you can pick up marks there.

Have you had a look at the sample papers and candidate examples?:

https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse/classical-civilisation-j199-from-2017/assessment/

Quick Reply

Latest