The Student Room Group

History and Ancient History Applicants 2018

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying!

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why History?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going to the Open Day at Bristol?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/
I'm applying for History and Politics joint honours
University choices: Nottingham, Sheffield, Warwick, Glasgow, Edinburgh, maybe York
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Govt & Politics and English Lit
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA
AS grades: Just took 1 because new A-Levels, got an A in G&P (188/200 UMS)
GCSE grades: 2A*s, 8As and a B
Why History? I love learning about how people used to live compared to today, especially your average Joe from whatever historical period. It also goes beautifully with politics and I don't believe you can truly understand one without some understanding of the other.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by muizenberga
University choices: Oxford (will take a gap year and reapply if unsuccessful).

So, no other choices then?
Because I want to take a gap year anyway I haven't looked particularly at other unis, but am considering Edinburgh, Exeter, UCL etc - but I also like the Canadian system (particularly McGill). Not just Oxford second time round, I'm not that bigheaded haha.
Dont forget to go to Open Days before you make your final choices - last ones will be mostly in Sept/Oct.
Book up now - places go fast.
University choices: Bristol, Southampton, York, Brunel, Maybe UEA
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Geography, Politics
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades: History A, Geography C, Politics C
GCSE grades: 2 A*, 5 A, 2 B, 1 C
Why History? Always loved it

Can someone tell me the likelihood of getting into a good uni (Bristol is ideal) with my relatively poor AS results?
University choices: oxbridge (haven't decided which); Durham; Exeter; Bristol and probably York (but possibly Nottingham instead) I don't know if I should go for one with lower entrance... suggestions please.
What subject(s) are currently studying?: history, english lit and classical civ
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
AS grades: A in Gov Pol 174UMS (dropped it now), A in Classics 188UMS.
GCSE grades: 9A*s 1A (french!)
Why History? coz it's a boss man subject. seriously though, just like finding out about the past and the escapism that it brings (and doesn't). but also i like how it makes you question things that you thought were simple. also, you will learn lots of long and fancy words!!
Original post by HarryScotchy
I don't know if I should go for one with lower entrance... suggestions please.

There are plenty of good Unis asking for ABB - Leicester, Loughborough, UEA, Kent, QMUL for instance - and if you look at joint subject degrees there are often lower requirements because fewer people choose them (ie. you could also choose another course at one of your selected Unis, not just 'History'.

What Uni is a really useful website for this - you can search on specific grades - https://www.whatuni.com/
University choices: Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Warwick, Bristol
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Psychology, Pure Maths, English Language
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*A
AS grades: AAAB (B being English Language)
GCSE grades: 7.5 A* and 2 As
Original post by returnmigrant
There are plenty of good Unis asking for ABB - Leicester, Loughborough, UEA, Kent, QMUL for instance - and if you look at joint subject degrees there are often lower requirements because fewer people choose them (ie. you could also choose another course at one of your selected Unis, not just 'History'.

What Uni is a really useful website for this - you can search on specific grades - https://www.whatuni.com/

thanks this is actually a really useful website and i am now considering these others.
Original post by andrianikx
University choices: Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Warwick, Bristol

aren't all these unis AAA or A*AA? if so could you tell me why you're not going lower coz Im considering doing the same as you regarding entry requirements. thanks
Applying for a combined honours in German and History

University choices: Durham, Exeter, Birmingham, Leeds and Nottingham
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Lit, History and German (All Edexcel)
Predicted A2 grades: AAA (tryna get that up to an A*AA)
AS grades: A (only did one AS in English lit bc of new linear A Levels)
GCSE grades: 6A*s, 6As, 1B
Why History?: Great subject, really interesting and cool and fun.
Original post by HarryScotchy
aren't all these unis AAA or A*AA? if so could you tell me why you're not going lower coz Im considering doing the same as you regarding entry requirements. thanks

but for AS there is no A* anyway so i've already met the entry requirements for the top unis. and my As are high As so my prediction grades are pretty high
Original post by andrianikx
but for AS there is no A* anyway so i've already met the entry requirements for the top unis. and my As are high As so my prediction grades are pretty high

you still need to get a high mark at a2 in order to get an a/a* overall though , right bec the grades requirements are a-level, not as.
Hi, all!
I have achieved A*A*A*A* and will be applying to:
1. Cambridge - Hist/Pol,
2. LSE - Gov/Hist
3. UCL - HistPol & Econ
4. Bath Pol w/econ (placement)
5. Not sure
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello guys!
I'm applying for history and English. But because of my **** gcse's I might re do some and apply next year it depends on whether I get accepted first time around. Idk, what do you think?
UNIVERSITY CHOICES: St. Andrews, KCL, York, Uea.
WHAT SUBJECT's ARE YOU TAKING: English Literature, History, Politics
A2 PREDICTED GRADES: A*A*A*
AS GRADES: AAA
GCSE's: AABBBCDDE.
University choices: Cambridge, LSE, St Andrews
What A-Level subject(s)? Politics, English Literature, History
Predicted A2 grades: A*, A*, A
GCSE grades: 6 A*, 1 A, 3 B
Why History? It's my favourite subject!
University choices: Cardiff, Kent, Sussex, QMUL, Essex
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Gap-year life :lol:
Predicted A2 grades: Already received results. ABC (History, Maths, Chemistry).
AS grades: ABBB (Maths, History, Chemistry, Biology)
GCSE grades: 6 A*'s, 4 A's -- (Yeah I know have gone downhill since GCSE's :ike:)
Why History? Thoroughly enjoyed learning it at GCSE and a-level. Really love reading about how decisions have been made in the past and what these decisions have led to as a result. Most of my focus has been on modern history but I have recently looked into early and ancient history, and all of it really excites me too - am looking to be able to do some optional modules for a bit of earlier history within my degree. :biggrin:
Reply 19
University choices: Bishop Grossteste, Lincoln, Sheffield Hallam
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Gov/Politics, History, Business (BTEC 120 Diploma)
Predicted A2 grades: D*D*,A,C
AS grades: Gov/Pol B, Business D*
GCSE grades: ABBBBCCCCC PP
Why History? I intend to teach it at secondary level, and I've generally enjoyed it at both GCSE and A level

I got an unconditional from Bishop Grosseteste for Education Studies & History so I've accepted it!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending