The Student Room Group

Do you think that one parent should stay at home and raise the kids?

Scroll to see replies

I think it’s important for young kids to have someone looking after them, raising them properly and managing their lives. I don’t believe in dumping this responsibility entirely on a nanny, because they’ll just do the basics like feeding them and making sure they sleep on time, not teaching them life lessons or skills or anything. They’ll never be as dedicated as a real parent.

I don’t think this necessarily means a parent needs to entirely give up their career though. After the age of about 3 or 4, the kids will be in school all day anyway. That’s plenty of time to have a career as well.

Of course it also depends on how many kids you actually have. More kids = more work.
Original post by December126
Why does she need to sit on her ass for 7/8 hours in order to spend the evening with the kids??

How is looking after a child sitting on your ass for 7/8 hours a day?
No - both should work. if you cant work and raise kids, dont have them.
Depends on the parents. and situation. Two good working parents can minimise the downside and maximise the benefits, just as two unemployed parents could do the same. Its important they are happy and then its down to how good they are at parenting.
Original post by Jack22031994

What a ridiculous thing to say. If it's not financially necessary they can do what they want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
Why? If it's not financially necessary, just why?

People who say things like this are class A idiots.

Well if it isnt financially necessary, it isnt a 'cant work'. Its 'no need to work.'

Obviously, you're unable to differentiate between them
Well if it isnt financially necessary, it isnt a 'cant work'. Its 'no need to work.'

Obviously, you're unable to differentiate between them

That's a nonsense distinction and you know it.
Original post by Rinsed
That's a nonsense distinction and you know it.

No it isnt.

The distinction actually supports your original point.
Until they're old enough to start school, yes.
No it isnt.

The distinction actually supports your original point.

You're pretending your statement was much more nuanced than it actually was.

"If you cant work and raise kids, don't have them" is pretty unambiguous.
Original post by Rinsed
You're pretending your statement was much more nuanced than it actually was.

"If you cant work and raise kids, don't have them" is pretty unambiguous.

It isnt unambiguous but okay

If you cant tell the difference between 'If you cant...' and "if you dont need......,' then I can see why you might think it is unambiguous though.
It isnt unambiguous but okay

If you cant tell the difference between 'If you cant...' and "if you dont need......,' then I can see why you might think it is unambiguous though.

The difference is that you wrote one and not the other...

I mean, it could be that you thought something less strident than how the words came onto the page. Which is fine, but then clarify. That particular combination of words was not ambiguous in the least and you can't just ignore the rules of the English language.
Reply 32
Original post by December126
Why does she need to sit on her ass for 7/8 hours in order to spend the evening with the kids??

because its cheaper than paying someone else to sit on their ass and look after your kids for 7/8 hours a day, dumb a ss
From what I've noticed during high school.

Asians: One parent stays at home,the other makes the money.
Conclusion: Asian kids mostly had intact families with mum and dad both living together.

Whites: Both parents live independent lives, both working.
Conclusion: White kids mostly came from broken families with divorced parents.

I'm inclined to say the Asian family system works a lot better than the Feminist family system. Broken families are partly to blame for the housing shortage.
If you can afford it then yes. That is the traditional way after all and that is how so many kids turned out proper and decent and chivalrous.

Now with both parents working you've got nothing but spoilt, entitled, beta whiney kids who often turned out that way due to being ignored by their parents
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by calsmith12
From what I've noticed during high school.

Asians: One parent stays at home,the other makes the money.
Conclusion: Asian kids mostly had intact families with mum and dad both living together.

Whites: Both parents live independent lives, both working.
Conclusion: White kids mostly came from broken families with divorced parents.

I'm inclined to say the Asian family system works a lot better than the Feminist family system. Broken families are partly to blame for the housing shortage.

Exactly!!

Weird logic. then who raises your kids for you? if you can't raise your own kids, don't have them.
It's harder now, due to house price inflation, to get a mortgage and afford a decent lifestyle on just 1 income. Therefore, more women have to work. When I have kids, I would like to go part time for the first few years and then go full time when they start school/nursery, but at the same time I do not want to study at university for 5 years to then just become a housewife.
No i don't think this is necessary. I was raised by a single mother, and yes my grandparents helped us out but I still get on well and remember my childhood with my mother. Becoming dependant on benefits is not ideal in my opinion, and once kids are at school then they are mostly busy anyway
Yes if nobody is at home to raise the kids they'll turn into shotters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending