The Student Room Group

Inverse function derivative

So ddxf1(x)=1f(f1(x)) \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} f^{-1}(x) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}

I understand this can be shown from the identity map ff1(x)=x\displaystyle f \circ f^{-1}(x) = x and just differentiating and making ddxf1(x) \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} f^{-1}(x) the subject.

But this looked familiar when my lecture notes said it's the same as dydx=1dxdy \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{\frac{dx}{dy}} if you let y=f1(x) \displaystyle y = f^{-1}(x)

Now I'm probably being stupid but, wouldn't that make the above dydx=1ddxy=1dydx[br][br] \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{\frac{d}{dx}y}= \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[br] [br] ?
Reply 1
Can you explain further as I see it, if:

y=f1(x)f(y)=x. \displaystyle y = f^{-1}(x) \Leftrightarrow f(y) = x.

Differentiate with respect to y:

dxdy=f(y)=f(f1(x)). \displaystyle \frac{dx}{dy} = f^{'} (y) = f^{'} \Big( f^{-1} (x) \Big).

Therefore:

dydx=1f(f1(x)),(=d[f1(x)]dx). \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{f^{'} \Big( f^{-1} (x) \Big)}, \, \Bigg( = \frac{ d[f^{-1} (x)] }{dx} \Bigg).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off topic: Is this to do with the "Inverse Function Theorem"?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by simon0
Can you explain further as I see it, if:

y=f1(x)f(y)=x. \displaystyle y = f^{-1}(x) \Leftrightarrow f(y) = x.

Differentiate with respect to y:

dxdy=f(y)=f(f1(x)). \displaystyle \frac{dx}{dy} = f^{'} (y) = f^{'} \Big( f^{-1} (x) \Big).

Therefore:

dydx=d[f1(x)]dx=1f(f1(x)). \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{ d[f^{-1} (x)] }{dx} = \frac{1}{f^{'} \Big( f^{-1} (x) \Big)}.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off topic: Is this to do with the "Inverse Function Theorem"?

How did you get the last line From what's above?

It might be, but I'm just reading the rules for differentiation.
Reply 3
I believe you are missing the last part of the equation, the F and exponent can't just disappear and should be included, so you have 2/3's of the equation. Apologies if I am incorrect and on the wrong track, its been a while since I had quadratic equations, Calc 1 & 2, etc. :smile:

Original post by NotNotBatman
So ddxf1(x)=1f(f1(x)) \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} f^{-1}(x) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}

I understand this can be shown from the identity map ff1(x)=x\displaystyle f \circ f^{-1}(x) = x and just differentiating and making ddxf1(x) \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} f^{-1}(x) the subject.

But this looked familiar when my lecture notes said it's the same as dydx=1dxdy \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{\frac{dx}{dy}} if you let y=f1(x) \displaystyle y = f^{-1}(x)

Now I'm probably being stupid but, wouldn't that make the above dydx=1ddxy=1dydx[br][br] \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{\frac{d}{dx}y}= \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[br] [br] ?
Reply 4
How did you get the last line From what's above?

It might be, but I'm just reading the rules for differentiation.

I applied the reciprocal of dx/dy (so I did 1/(dx/dy) ). :-)
Original post by luq_ali
I believe you are missing the last part of the equation, the F and exponent can't just disappear and should be included, so you have 2/3's of the equation. Apologies if I am incorrect and on the wrong track, its been a while since I had quadratic equations, Calc 1 & 2, etc. :smile:

The equation is written properly. I'm not sure what you mean... the f^-1 is there.
Original post by simon0
I applied the reciprocal of dx/dy (so I did 1/(dx/dy) ). :-)

But that's what need to be proven.
Reply 7
Yes, it is correct in the last one you had there, but I was referring to the last line of your original...I was writing my response and by the time I had completed, you had made a correction to your initial post-which is the one (the first one) I was responding too. So now it is indeed correct.

The equation is written properly. I'm not sure what you mean... the f^-1 is there.
Original post by luq_ali
Yes, it is correct in the last one you had there, but I was referring to the last line of your original...I was writing my response and by the time I had completed, you had made a correction to your initial post-which is the one (the first one) I was responding too. So now it is indeed correct.

I haven't edited my post, maybe it took while to load or something I don't know.

But I still don't understand how my working is wrong :/

it isn't correct as it would mean that dy/dx at some point is always equal to it's reciprocal.
Reply 9
The equation as stated by Simon is correct, and that is what I was noting-you quoted it in responding to him and asking about it-what he gave was the correct one as far as I can tell.

I haven't edited my post, maybe it took while to load or something I don't know.

But I still don't understand how my working is wrong :/

it isn't correct as it would mean that dy/dx at some point is always equal to it's reciprocal.
Original post by luq_ali
The equation as stated by Simon is correct, and that is what I was noting-you quoted it in responding to him and asking about it-what he gave was the correct one as far as I can tell.

Oh ok, but what I want to know is how what I've written is incorrect (concerning the relationship between notation), because it seems like the answer was used to prove the original question.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
One short way to show that dy/dx = 1/(dy/dx) is using the chain rule where:

y = f(x).

Differentiate with respect to y using the chain rule:

1 = d[f(x)] / dy = ( d[f(x)]/dx ) ( dx/dy) = (dy/dx)(dx/dy), as we defined y = f(x).

Therefore:

dy/dx = 1/( dx/dy ).

This is assuming dx/dy is not 0.

A more formal proof is using the inverse function theorem.
(edited 6 years ago)
Your final equation in your last line-compare it what Simon has as his final line-and try to work back from there.

Oh ok, but what I want to know is how what I've written is incorrect (concerning the relationship between notation), because it seems like the answer was used to prove the original question.

Quick Reply

Latest