The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Do I have a chance of studying history at Durham?

At GCSE I got 5 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs (A*s included history, Bs in biology and chemistry), and at A level I am taking Politics, History and Maths with the predicted grades A*AA. Entry requirements at Durham for history are A*AA, however my A* prediction is in politics - will this put me at a disadvantage among other applicants? Do I stand a chance at all? I know it's really competitive but I'd love to go there and would be willing to change courses to International Relations or something along those lines to get a place! Any replies would be appreciated. :smile:
If youve met the entry requirements then you'll get in
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
boost
Reply 3
pls send help lol
Original post by anna_00
pls send help lol

I already replied and told you if youve met the entry requirements them you'll get in. Unless on the uni website it states that ur A* will be in a specific subject then you wont be at any disadvantage. My cousin is currently at Durham university and actually missed her offer by one grade and still got accepted (although she was only one mark off)
Original post by kaybio98
I already replied and told you if youve met the entry requirements them you'll get in. Unless on the uni website it states that ur A* will be in a specific subject then you wont be at any disadvantage. My cousin is currently at Durham university and actually missed her offer by one grade and still got accepted (although she was only one mark off)

Did you get an offer in the end? I am in a similar situation :?
Have you heard anything from durham about history offers yet - i haven't...
Reply 7
Original post by HarryScotchy
Have you heard anything from durham about history offers yet - i haven't...

haven't heard anything yet, I doubt we'll get anything for a while :frown:
Original post by anna_00
haven't heard anything yet, I doubt we'll get anything for a while :frown:

yeah i get that feeling too. do you know when people got offers last year for history
If youve met the entry requirements then you'll get in

That's not true. Plenty of people apply with grades that meet and exceed the entry requirements every year and still get rejected - the university has limited places. Not just at Durham, at all universities.

It will depend hugely on how competitive the particular course is and how many applications they have in a particular year.
Reply 10
Original post by HarryScotchy
yeah i get that feeling too. do you know when people got offers last year for history

I'm not too sure when the majority of offers go out, but I heard of one person at my sixth form who got their offer in March so it looks like it could be a while
Original post by LeapingLucy
That's not true. Plenty of people apply with grades that meet and exceed the entry requirements every year and still get rejected - the university has limited places. Not just at Durham, at all universities.

It will depend hugely on how competitive the particular course is and how many applications they have in a particular year.

Universities send more offers than they have places because not all will put the uni as their firm or insurance. If you meet the requirements you will get an offer, whether you get your place on results day is a different matter
Universities send more offers than they have places because not all will put the uni as their firm or insurance. If you meet the requirements you will get an offer, whether you get your place on results day is a different matter

I'm sorry, you are completely wrong.

Of course universities send more offers than they have places, but not everyone who applies with the right grades will get an offer at Durham, or other universities like Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Warwick etc.

I know loads of people who applied to these universities with above the entry requirements but did not get offers.

Universities carefully calculate how many offers they can give out, based on how many are likely to be accepted. They do not have the space at the uni/places in the accommodation to give out unlimited offers to all who apply with the necessary grades.

That's the reason you write a personal statement - so that unis can distinguish between people with the same grades.

I'm guessing you're not at uni yet and haven't applied yet? I don't see how you could not know this and have such incorrect information otherwise.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm sorry, you are completely wrong.

Of course universities send more offers than they have places, but not everyone who applies with the right grades will get an offer at Durham, or other universities like Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Warwick etc.

I know loads of people who applied to these universities with above the entry requirements but did not get offers.

Universities carefully calculate how many offers they can give out, based on how many are likely to be accepted. They do not have the space at the uni/places in the accommodation to give out unlimited offers to all who apply with the necessary grades.

That's the reason you write a personal statement - so that unis can distinguish between people with the same grades.

I'm guessing you're not at uni yet and haven't applied yet? I don't see how you could not know this and have such incorrect information otherwise.

Tbh i assumed that their personal statement would be fairly decent considering they’re applying to durham....Also, this is my second cycle of applying to university after changing my course ideas! So actually, I know quite a lot about the cycle thanks :-)
No need to be so rude X
Tbh i assumed that their personal statement would be fairly decent considering they’re applying to durham....Also, this is my second cycle of applying to university after changing my course ideas! So actually, I know quite a lot about the cycle thanks :-)
No need to be so rude X

I'm not being rude - I'm simply trying to work out why you're persisting in giving out incorrect information.

History at Durham has a 42% offer rate - abou 90% of those who apply have the necessary grades, so in order to get the offer, you need to exceed the entry requirements and/or have an excellent personal statement.
I'm not being rude - I'm simply trying to work out why you're persisting in giving out incorrect information.

History at Durham has a 42% offer rate - abou 90% of those who apply have the necessary grades, so in order to get the offer, you need to exceed the entry requirements and/or have an excellent personal statement.

Hardly incorrect but im not going to read into this anymore, hope the person who started this thread gets an offer X
Reply 16
quick update: i somehow managed to get an offer! my PS must have been good because according to my form tutor my grades weren't anywhere near good enough for me to get an offer aha, thanks for the replies guys :smile:
Original post by anna_00
quick update: i somehow managed to get an offer! my PS must have been good because according to my form tutor my grades weren't anywhere near good enough for me to get an offer aha, thanks for the replies guys :smile:

Well done! That's really exciting. I have the same predicted grades as you, so that's really encouraging to hear. What college did you apply to?
Congrats on the offer.

Your GCSEs and predicted grades are impressive.

Just a few more months of hard work to go!

Quick Reply

Latest