The Student Room Group

History and Ancient History Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

Applying for history and politics!
University choices: Leicester, Kent, Plymouth (maybe Exeter and CCCU)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: RE, History and politics
Predicted A2 grades: ABB
AS grades: BBC
GCSE grades: 1A* 5A 4B 2C 1D
Why History? I find it amazing to discover how people used to live. It's insightful and rewarding. Oh and I LOVE Henry VII
I'm re-applying this year, so I already know my grades. ABC+C (epq)
I've applied for a range of courses, mainly history or archaeology based.
GCSEs: 1A*, 4As, 4Bs, 1C
Universities: Birmingham, Oxford Brookes, Leicester, Chicester (creative writing and history)
Reply 22
University choices: Bristol & Warwick (both are optimistic, not expecting offers) / Lancaster / UEA / Loughborough
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, English Literature & Biology (+ General Studies, accepted by Loughborough + UEA for History)
Predicted A2 grades: A*AB (and an A* in General Studies)
AS grades: AAB (+A in GS)
GCSE grades: A*ABBBBBBBC
Why History? Feel like it's right for me, it's the subject I definitely enjoy the most.
Choices : Winchester (Conditional Offer) Chichester, Canterbury Christ Church (Conditional Offer)

Subjects Currently Studying: History, Biology, Media

Predicted A2 Grades: History (A), Biology (C)

AS Grades: Maths (U), Media (Predicted A)

EPQ (A)

GCSE Grades: 5 As, 5 Bs

Why History?: Because History is the best that's why!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
I'm re-applying this year, so I already know my grades. ABC+C (epq)
I've applied for a range of courses, mainly history or archaeology based.
GCSEs: 1A*, 4As, 4Bs, 1C
Universities: Birmingham, Oxford Brookes, Leicester, Chicester (creative writing and history)

Got an unconditional offer from Oxford Brookes last night!
University choices: Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Manchester, York
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Maths, French
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A
AS grades: AA (Maths and Further Maths)
GCSE grades: 8A* 3A 1B
Why History? It's the best!
I've applied for either History (Bham, Lancaster, St And) or Ancient History and History combined (Exeter + Oxford)!
University choices: Oxford, Birmingham, Exeter, Lancaster, St Andrew's
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Ancient History, and Classical Civilisation
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA but I'm actually hoping to aim higher for the latter two
AS grades: AA in Ancient History (182 UMS) and Class Civ (163 UMS)
GCSE grades: 8A* 2A 1C
Why History? I love History so much. It's the only thing I can see myself doing further, I just have such a love for it and I wanna do it forever.
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Got an unconditional offer from Oxford Brookes last night!

An unconditional offer from Chichester came through an hour ago for History and Creative Writing.
Just waiting on birmingham now...
University choices: Newcastle, Northumbria, Lancaster, Leeds Nottingham
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Eng Lit, Geography(kms)
Predicted A2 grades: AAB
AS grades: Didn’t do AS but in my mocks I got BBC (so close to As)
GCSE grades: 5x A 3x B 2x C
Why History? Obviously because it’s the coolest subject 😅 but also because I’ve always loved it and I just soak up anything historical, after uni the end game is to actually be a historian and lecture at uni 💕
Anyone applied for/studying Ancient History/History (2018 Applications)?
Which uni's have you applied for?
I have applied for Leicester and Royal Holloway. Got an unconditional offer from Leicester to study Ancient History and Archaeology! ;-)
(edited 6 years ago)
Anyone applying for History/Ancient History starting 2018?
Which universities have you applied to?
Applied to Leicester and Royal Holloway.
Recieved an unconditional offer from Leicester to study Ancient History/Archaeology.
Feel free to chat about anything History!
Everyone share :-)
Reply 31
Hi. I plan on studying History come the 2018/19 academic year. The problem is, I never studied History at A-Level. After sixth form I went on to study Pharmacy, AKA the MPharm Masters programme, but I've since decided that I need to better follow my passions, which has led me to this current gap year, and the dilemma of how I'm going to get into a good university to study History.

I appreciate any and all advice relevant to my situation. Thanks!
Original post by Larache
Hi. I plan on studying History come the 2018/19 academic year. The problem is, I never studied History at A-Level. After sixth form I went on to study Pharmacy, AKA the MPharm Masters programme, but I've since decided that I need to better follow my passions, which has led me to this current gap year, and the dilemma of how I'm going to get into a good university to study History.

I appreciate any and all advice relevant to my situation. Thanks!

Hey Larache,

I didn't study History as an A level - I did one second language, Religious studies and Sociology. To be honest I don't really think it matters what you study as long as you get good grades and most importantly do what you like.

I think its really nice that you've decided to study what you enjoy. We don't see a lot of that in this kind of climate. If I were you, I would just try applying to anywhere you'd like to study. Plenty of universities have started offering different types of History, e.g., Modern History, History and Ancient History.

Go for it! Let me know what happens :-) Hope I've helped!

Rosebudzz
Reply 33
Hello Rosebuddz,

Thanks for your reply. I must say it’s quite coincidental that I too studied a second language and Religious Studies, with Bio and Chem making up the other two spots. My grades were reasonable; AABC, not fantastic. I’m based in London, and would prefer to study here. UCL & LSE have made it clear on the relevant webpage that they require History at A-Level. KCL are the same in that regard except when it comes to Ancient History. They prefer History at A-Level, but it's not a requirement. Ancient History (Circa 1200 BC to 600 AD) is not my preferred time period, as I am more interested in History from the 7th Century to the 19th Century.

So I look for 'conventional' History, rather than anything Ancient or Modern. SOAS is an option too, but I'm not too sure about that one.

I need to do more looking. Any further suggestions are most welcome.

Regards.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Larache
Hello Rosebuddz,

Thanks for your reply. I must say it’s quite coincidental that I too studied a second language and Religious Studies, with Bio and Chem making up the other two spots. My grades were reasonable; AABC, not fantastic. I’m based in London, and would prefer to study here. UCL & LSE have made it clear on the relevant webpage that they require History at A-Level. KCL are the same in that regard except when it comes to Ancient History. They prefer History at A-Level, but it's not a requirement. Ancient History (Circa 1200 BC to 600 AD) is not my preferred time period, as I am more interested in History from the 7th Century to the 19th Century.

So I look for 'conventional' History, rather than anything Ancient or Modern. SOAS is an option too, but I'm not too sure about that one.

I need to do more looking. Any further suggestions are most welcome.

Regards.

Dear Larache,

That is a little coincidental! Great minds think alike ;-)
Yes you definitely have the grades to get into a good uni, I wouldn't worry about that. To be honest, even I would prefer to study more 'conventional' history as you've said, but couldn't find anything closer to where I am.

I know that Royal Holloway offers a very interesting looking history honors degree. I'd have a look if I were you. Definitely have a look on www.whatuni.com.

Let me know how it goes! Hope I've helped :-)

Regards
Rosebudzz
Reply 35
To Rosebudzz,

Great minds looking to explore the past. Glory to History.

History is so vast, that at least everyone should find a certain time or place that interests them. There should be an 'Ode to History'.

I will definitely be checking out Royal Holloway. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've also found the New College of the Humanities (NCH London) an interesting prospect. They offer History as a 'major', with other subjects such as Philosphy, Politics/IR, Creative Writing (and others) serving as 'minors', in the liberal arts style.

Who knows? The hunt goes on.

Regards.
Original post by Larache
To Rosebudzz,

History is so vast, that at least everyone should find a certain time or place that interests them. There should be an 'Ode to History'.

I will definitely be checking out Royal Holloway. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've also found the New College of the Humanities (NCH London) an interesting prospect. They offer History as a 'major', with other subjects such as Philosphy, Politics/IR, Creative Writing (and others) serving as 'minors', in the liberal arts style.

Regards.

Dear Larache,

Yes I agree; glory to history! The past is there to be explored by inquisitive minds.

History is so diverse, its easy to find a period of time which interests you! I'm honestly very pleased to know that I've found a fellow history enthuisiast.

No problem, I'm glad that I've been able to help. Yes I have seen NCH but for someone like me, I'd prefer to study history and nothing but history! Though, to be honest, it would be good to study a more broad range of Arts and Humanities. It would definitely widen your future career spectrum.

Hope it goes well. Keep me updated!

Sincerely,
Rosebudzz
Reply 37
To Rosebudzz,

Likewise, there's always a pleasure in meeting a fellow History-lover.

I must admit I am feeling quite partial to NCH right now, but a UG prospectus and an Open Day will help to provide more insight into the place. I too could do with just History, but as you've mentioned, it does provide an edge in some ways to have another subject to broaden your horizons; both mentally and in terms of employability.

Do you have a specific period in History, whether place or people, that you find very interesting to explore? Any myths that studying History has helped to bust? (the Greek or Roman mythos not included!).

The past can be as uncertain as the future.

Regards.
Original post by Larache
To Rosebudzz,

Regards.

Hi Larache,

If you have any questions about studying at Royal Holloway let me know! A few of my friends studied the History course and absolutely loved it, so I'd be happy to chat with you if you have any questions.

Or just feel free to pop over to our forum!

:smile: Summer
Reply 39
To Summer,

Thank you for your reply. That sounds very promising. I'll be looking at the History course for sure. If I do have any questions, I'll be sure to let you know.

Regards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending