The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cat_mac
Tbf everyone gets messed around by dating, plenty of girls get cheated on by more than one guy and it makes them wary of trusting guys just like guys get wary of trusting girls.

I’m not trying to condone the women who do treat men badly, just make the point that relationships often end in a clash of opinion/standards/goals in life. We can moan about how he was a scumbag and all men are jerks or how she was a hypocrite and women are fickle, or we can accept that people are flawed and pick ourselves up and try again. Letting it keep effecting you is letting them win.
(That was far too rainbows and sunshine, sounds like a personal statement for hippie university.)

Fair. Lol at hippie university.
Original post by paolo111
- you mean Erin Pizzey. She opened the first women's refuge in the UK, but spoke about how many of her clients had hit their male partners first, or hit as much as they were hit. For this she got her cat killed, windows smashed, 24/7 pickets outside her house, and had to flee the UK for years.

Yes? :confused::confused: not sure who else I could of been talking about?.....

urgh don't get me started about how 1970's feminists lynched all the rational members of the movement ( I can't remember the correct term for the non radical movement, aka those who recognised patriarchy, but didn't see it as a conspiracy to abuse women, more as a system led by men, nothing more or less).

Some of her interviews are pretty amazing.
Original post by Becca G
‘Focus on the topic’ says the self righteous prick who then goes on to assume I’m ‘sexually frustrated”. Look I know I’m incredibly sexy, but that’s not why I’m frustrated. I’m pissed off at guys like you who believe women can’t talk about their genuine problems, but then feel entitled enough to assert their opinion.
I could easily make a joke about your tiny d*ck size but hey, I’m not gonna ‘stoop to your level’. Pls just f**k off already.

Firstly, you are still off topic. Secondly, you have completely missed the point of this thread because you are so obsessed with your own issues and trying to bring them into this thread. Thirdly you assumptions about my size are wrong. Fourth, I’m not going to make assumptions about your looks but your personality is certainly an ugly one and for someone who claims to be sexy you sure do seem to have a lot of issues and enjoy trying to bring others down.
You must spend time around some really crappy women OP
😂
Original post by Axiomasher
Yes Becca, pipe down, the men are talking.

I’m telling this person to pipe down because they are continually posting off topic posts and directing hate towards people. It has nothing to do with their gender.

The fact your first and immediate thought is to jump on the gender bandwagon is more close to the topic of this thread. You’re so quick to blame everything on gender. Take a look at yourselves and work on that nasty personality.
Original post by snowman77
This is what I don't understand about the modern day gender equality/feminism movement. They want equality in some areas, but other areas they are happy for things to stay the same as long as they receive the benefit.

Women want equal treatment in the workplace with their male colleagues. They want equal pay (FWIW the gender pay gap is a myth - same job for same hours get paid the same, otherwise it's illegal), they don't want to experience sexual harassment in the workplace (what about all the false accusations which ruin men's careers?), they want the same opportunities men have, they want equal opportunities for promotion (despite many of them taking time off for maternity leave).

This is all fair enough. Except they don't want equality in dating. Men are still expected to:

- ask the woman out and face possible rejection (women might give subtle hints, but under no circumstances will they ask the man out - that is "his job":wink:
- pay for the first date (and possible subsequent dates as well)
- propose to the woman
- treat her with meals/gifts
- hold open the door for her
- give up his coat if she's cold, so he can freeze (but never the other way around)
- put the majority of effort into sex (this is centered around pleasing the woman - the man's enjoyment is always assumed)
- be manly and dominant, never show any weak emotions, keep his problems bottled up because otherwise it's "unmanly"
- household chores must now be shared. Women no longer have to do all the cooking and cleaning, it's shared equally between men, because otherwise it's gender discrimination/oppression. Despite the fact men are still seen as the primary breadwinner in the household and a man without a job is a virtual disaster.

So back to the original question: Why do women want gender equality in the workplace (and indeed many other areas), but not in dating? I'm interested to hear to views of men, women and any feminists.

I will answer the question. It is because women don't want equality. Seriously. The feminists simply want the good things, but not bad things. So, the clean and top-paying professions, such as lawyer or pharmacist, of course women want access to those jobs, but women could care less about being a garbage truck driver (and very few are). Of course we want guys to make a fuss over us and pay for the date. As for in the bedroom things, you have a skewed view of life; sure, there are times that the guy does most of the work, but sometimes the girl does all the work, I can tell you that blow jobs are work, and the guy just lays there and enjoys it. It is a relationship, and there is a ying and yang involved, I really don't think one gets or gives more than the other.
Original post by loveleest
True, lmao.

LOL I love how much I trigger you "men" whenever I bring this up. Hilarious.:laugh:

Its funny how aggressive and defensive you all get when men say the truth that is women are not supressed at all in first world countries..
Original post by Grumbling
Its funny how aggressive and defensive you all get when men say the truth that is women are not supressed at all in first world countries..

What the hell has that got to do with my post?
LOL I love how much I trigger you "men" whenever I bring this up. Hilarious.:laugh:

hmm wondered why aswell when you said this.
Original post by Wired_1800
Fair, but the issue is that sometimes it is difficult.

A man meets a woman with a “character flaw”, she messes him up. When he realises, he moves on to another woman, who messes him up as well. By the time he reaches the “right” one, he has been psychologically and emotionally wrecked that he is unable to truly love the right one.

It is no wonder, young cheerful men turn out to be heartless bast.ards when they grow up. They have been destroyed by several women over the years that they have nothing else to give.

Omg, this post is hilarious. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn't.

So a man getting "messed up" by women is enough to become a prick? Is this a joke? Women get messed around all the time. "Men" that get traumatised from getting hurt/rejected to grow up and move on. It's part of life.
hmm wondered why aswell when you said this.

Seriously, what are you going on about? :laugh: I guess my post is triggered you so much it's causing you to talk a bunch of crap?
Omg, this post is hilarious. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn't.

So a man getting "messed up" by women is enough to become a prick? Is this a joke? Women get messed around all the time. "Men" that get traumatised from getting hurt/rejected to grow up and move on. It's part of life.

Its part of life? Thats weird then how I always meet women complaining about minor unfair things in their life, yet when confronted with examples men face, they just default to "thats life". Your whole argument is pure idiocy.
Its part of life? Thats weird then how I always meet women complaining about minor unfair things in their life, yet when confronted with examples men face, they just default to "thats life". Your whole argument is pure idiocy.

A guy used me a few months ago. It hurt. I moved on. Was I supposed to become a prick and start being mean to people? No...I moved the fu*k on.
A guy used me a few months ago. It hurt. I moved on. Was I supposed to become a prick and start being mean to people? No...I moved the fu*k on.
You're ignoring my point, and honestly the WHOLE point of this discussion, The point is why should Women be able to pick and choose what classifies as "sexist" or "tradition" e.g. males have to be the proposers etc. and why do you have the right to classify other peoples problems as "part of life". How about this, you dont leave the kitchen again and dont learn at school, live with it because its "part of life"
You're ignoring my point, and honestly the WHOLE point of this discussion, The point is why should Women be able to pick and choose what classifies as "sexist" or "tradition" e.g. males have to be the proposers etc. and why do you have the right to classify other peoples problems as "part of life". How about this, you dont leave the kitchen again and dont learn at school, live with it because its "part of life"

Why should men be able to choose?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Why should men be able to choose?

Never said men should, in fact Men don't choose most of the time in life, how many times has a man chosen for a woman to ask him out? to propose? You complain about women being expected to do things everyday, yet this is constant for males, men are golbally expected to be tough, sporty and manly etc. The people that should choose what is "tradition" and what is "sexist" are the people that are thinking of doing the action, genders shouldnt expect things of other genders for the sake of genders. It should all be personal choice, if a CEO diesnt hire a female because he fears he'll have to support her fertinity leave is not sexism, hes just doing it to optimise his business. If a stunning woman joins a team but is fired because the boss fears she'll distract the workers, THATS NOT SEXISM, Thats just him trying to do the best for his company. Unfortunately the ideals of feminism contradict this idea entirely and are constantly changed to tailor their own needs. Your point again is invalid and dumb. Congrats on your debating skills.
Never said men should, in fact Men don't choose most of the time in life, how many times has a man chosen for a woman to ask him out? to propose?

Regardless of gender, you shouldn't expect someone to do those things. If you want those things to happen, do them yourself.

if a CEO diesnt hire a female because he fears he'll have to support her fertinity leave is not sexism, hes just doing it to optimise his business. If a stunning woman joins a team but is fired because the boss fears she'll distract the workers, THATS NOT SEXISM, Thats just him trying to do the best for his company.

Er, that is sexism. In fact, I'd go as far to say it's discrimination and therefore, illegal. You can't just refuse to hire someone on the basis on gender. Maybe, you men should learn to control yourselves...
Never said men should, in fact Men don't choose most of the time in life, how many times has a man chosen for a woman to ask him out? to propose? You complain about women being expected to do things everyday, yet this is constant for males, men are golbally expected to be tough, sporty and manly etc. The people that should choose what is "tradition" and what is "sexist" are the people that are thinking of doing the action, genders shouldnt expect things of other genders for the sake of genders. It should all be personal choice, if a CEO diesnt hire a female because he fears he'll have to support her fertinity leave is not sexism, hes just doing it to optimise his business. If a stunning woman joins a team but is fired because the boss fears she'll distract the workers, THATS NOT SEXISM, Thats just him trying to do the best for his company. Unfortunately the ideals of feminism contradict this idea entirely and are constantly changed to tailor their own needs. Your point again is invalid and dumb. Congrats on your debating skills.

Are you genuinely saying that men are unable to concentrate on their work is there’s a beautiful women around? If you’re that easily distracted by a woman working in the same vicinity as you that makes you a bad employee, not the fault of a women for the way she was born. Hope you’re trolling and not actually that thick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending