The Student Room Group

A-level Maths Pure Mathematics 2 9MA0_02 Unofficial markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Year10Studentt
that's what I thought but I just thought I'd get into the class and people would start picking up concepts faster than me, which I'd be nervous about falling behind

There's always gonna be someone who picks up the content faster than you, but the key thing at A Level is to start going over the stuff you learn on the day you learn it to make sure you properly understand it. That way when it comes exam time, you don't have to do massive amounts of revision, because everythings in your long term-memory. This is with any science/maths subject btw.
If you're good at maths, and understand all the content, you can get an A*
it really scares me about grade boundaries are not gonna be as low as 80 because so many of you guys are so so smart here 😭😭😭

I desperately need A* and managed to do around 85 for both papers pure 1 and 2. What are my chances of achieving it?
Reply 42
Original post by chieula2301
it really scares me about grade boundaries are not gonna be as low as 80 because so many of you guys are so so smart here 😭😭😭

I desperately need A* and managed to do around 85 for both papers pure 1 and 2. What are my chances of achieving it?

If you haven't already vote here https://www.strawpoll.me/15889159/r
You can see what others suspect the grade boundary will be.
Reply 43
Original post by chieula2301

As with any exam thread, usual disclaimer applies: TSR is not representative of any cohort, even a FM cohort.

imo, 85% is very likely to be an A*
Original post by have
There's always gonna be someone who picks up the content faster than you, but the key thing at A Level is to start going over the stuff you learn on the day you learn it to make sure you properly understand it. That way when it comes exam time, you don't have to do massive amounts of revision, because everythings in your long term-memory. This is with any science/maths subject btw.
If you're good at maths, and understand all the content, you can get an A*

Thank you!
Original post by have
Yeah there were some nice questions. I think it was harder than paper 1, but I think I did good. 95+ is a good estimate, I don't think I really slipped up anywhere.

It's confusing because there were 2 tan questions. For one of the tan questions, yeah there were three solutions (the one that asks for solns between 7pi and 10pi)
There was a another tan question where you had to turn sec^2 into 1+tan^2, and then you get a 3TQ in terms of tan. It's coming back to me as I'm writing.
I remember it factorising into (tan theta + 1)(tan theta -4) = 0
And it asked for solns for theta between -pi/2 and pi/2.
It's -pi/4 and 1.326,
2 solutions.
Unless I'm misremembering / misread the question

Yeah for that I got 3 solutions
For the longer trig equation, I did that but got sin(2x)tan(2x)(tanx+1)(tanx-4) or something and got 0, 1.326, -pi/4?
Though I wasn't bothered to check my answer I think this is where I lost marks - do you remmeber the q?
Original post by thekidwhogames
For the longer trig equation, I did that but got sin(2x)tan(2x)(tanx+1)(tanx-4) or something and got 0, 1.326, -pi/4?
Though I wasn't bothered to check my answer I think this is where I lost marks - do you remmeber the q?

I got those I think yeah
Reply 47

That sounds right. I did it using the identity from the previous part. For some reason my brain thought to discard the x = 0 solution, I don't know why. Did I think sec was undefined for x =0. I think I wrote it down and then wrote Discard this solution with an explanation.

That's probably 1 mark lost then, or maybe I'll get lucky and the exaiminer will ISW it, or just be lazy and see it and give me the mark.
Original post by have
That sounds right. I did it using the identity from the previous part. For some reason my brain thought to discard the x = 0 solution, I don't know why. Did I think sec was undefined for x =0. I think I wrote it down and then wrote Discard this solution with an explanation.

That's probably 1 mark lost then, or maybe I'll get lucky and the exaiminer will ISW it, or just be lazy and see it and give me the mark.

You still did pretty food but I can't exactly remmeber if j got 0 or not but I think?

yeh pretty sure i got those exactly
Original post by number0
yeh pretty sure i got those exactly

What do you think you got in both papers so far?
that went really really really bad

I wish you could use more expletives on the student room because my english ability is not good enough to express how horrible I did. I'm such an idiot, I honestly have no motivation to continue now. I don't even know why I chose maths honestly, I'm just not cut out for it as I'm going to get kicked out anyway. I don't know how I keep one-upping myself in how godawful I do in these exams.
Reply 52
Original post by bingoringo
that went really really really bad

I wish you could use more expletives on the student room because my english ability is not good enough to express how horrible I did. I'm such an idiot, I honestly have no motivation to continue now. I don't even know why I chose maths honestly, I'm just not cut out for it as I'm going to get kicked out anyway. I don't know how I keep one-upping myself in how godawful I do in these exams.

Lol, don't say that, I'm sure you did better than you think. Remember that the people on TSR are definitely not the typical candidates. Most of my class found it tough.
Original post by RedGiant
Lol, don't say that, I'm sure you did better than you think. Remember that the people on TSR are definitely not the typical candidates. Most of my class found it tough.

yeah that's true. I'm just upset because I spent so much time doing paper after paper when I was probably just wasting my time, because I blanked on many of those things I practiced so much.
Guys the iteration rearranging? Did you have to do it using Newton raphson? I think I didn't read it and went straight to the algebra (write 2x3 = 6x3 - 4x3 then rearranged etc)
What do you think you got in both papers so far?

Umm think ive done alright like hoping I havent dropped more than like 15 marks, but I could have made some serious blunders so dont want to get my hopes up
Original post by number0
Umm think ive done alright like hoping I havent dropped more than like 15 marks, but I could have made some serious blunders so dont want to get my hopes up

Either way I think you'll he pleasantly surprised with an A*. For the iteration how did you show it?
Either way I think you'll he pleasantly surprised with an A*. For the iteration how did you show it?

You just use the newton raphson formula - xn - f(xn)/f'(xn)
Substitute in the equations for f(x) and f'(x), simplify and replace x with xn
Original post by sivthasan
You just use the newton raphson formula - xn - f(xn)/f'(xn)
Substitute in the equations for f(x) and f'(x), simplify and replace x with xn

Damn I didn't read that part..
I just rearranged it and got the result? Do i lose marks? Also what was f(x) and f'(x)? 2x^3 something?
Damn I didn't read that part..
I just rearranged it and got the result? Do i lose marks? Also what was f(x) and f'(x)? 2x^3 something?

What did you rearrange to get the result?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending