The Student Room Group

Teach First applications 2019: discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Teach first are super understanding about situations like that so do just ask! Good luck. Xx
Hello Everyone. I know this sounds crazy but because this is such an elitist program i'm going to apply. But with a twist. Do you think i get away with it by lying a bit on the application? like i have a level 2 maths equivalent qualification and i only have an Access Diploma. I dont have ****ing A-levels but i am destined to have a low 2:1/high 2:2. What should i do, is it worth my energy applying to this crap...

Sorry if i sound arrogant hahaha, i'm in fear of living a crap life after uni.
Original post by Quiet Benin
Hello Everyone. I know this sounds crazy but because this is such an elitist program i'm going to apply. But with a twist. Do you think i get away with it by lying a bit on the application? like i have a level 2 maths equivalent qualification and i only have an Access Diploma. I dont have ****ing A-levels but i am destined to have a low 2:1/high 2:2. What should i do, is it worth my energy applying to this crap...

I'm pretty sure they'll require proof of qualifications so lying isn't a good idea. The minimum entry requirement is a 2:1 so if you might end up with a 2:2, you'd risk not meeting your conditional offer and therefore being left without a place just before the summer residential starts.

If you want to apply, go for it, there's nothing to lose at this stage. But don't lie on your application. If you want to go into teaching, a PGCE/Schools Direct/SCITT course may be more suitable.
Original post by Quiet Benin

I would go and speak to your university graduate recruitment officer as they are ususally super helpful and very understanding. They will be able to tell you what you qualify to teach according to your degree/ a level equivalents. If teach first is recruiting from your university then it should be okay. I would have thought the end degree is the most important thing rather than the a levels, but I would definitely get in touch with someone at teach first and ask.
Original post by amaraemily
I would go and speak to your university graduate recruitment officer as they are ususally super helpful and very understanding. They will be able to tell you what you qualify to teach according to your degree/ a level equivalents. If teach first is recruiting from your university then it should be okay. I would have thought the end degree is the most important thing rather than the a levels, but I would definitely get in touch with someone at teach first and ask.

Yeah i think i would. Apparently i have had a history with teach first as i tried throughout my 4 years in uni applying to their taster programme only to be told in January that 'i'm not suitable' because i have no a-levels and the fact that my uni isn't 'elite' or a russell group

The reason it came back to my mind is because for some strange reason, 2 months ago, a teach first representative tried to persuade to apply, only for me to reject/ignore them. But with fear of nothing to do after uni, i'm going to give it a shot.

But probably i will go with Schools Direct, it's more easier and straightforward with entry requirements
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I'm pretty sure they'll require proof of qualifications so lying isn't a good idea. The minimum entry requirement is a 2:1 so if you might end up with a 2:2, you'd risk not meeting your conditional offer and therefore being left without a place just before the summer residential starts.

If you want to apply, go for it, there's nothing to lose at this stage. But don't lie on your application. If you want to go into teaching, a PGCE/Schools Direct/SCITT course may be more suitable.

School direct is probably what i'm gonna do. But i will apply to Teach First, just to get an idea on the teaching application process
Hello

Anyone out there on TF with young family? Just wondering how placement worked, around family commitments? How many hours do you really need to put in? I’m currently awaiting feedback on CKA submitted at the beginning of August.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi, I am filling my Application at the moment.... I am writing answers for the competency section, can anybody help me to read my answers please.
Reply 68
Hello I wanted to apply for teach first. Is it too late too apply if I do apply now? Thank you
Has anyone who has been offered a place, received feedback for their CKA yet? Getting a tad annoyed I had a lot of deadlines to comply with Teach First yet I'm still waiting to hear back about the CKA - its the only thing that's holding up my confirmed offer. My references have been accepted and I've passed both professional skills tests... if I don't hear back soon I'm considering applying for a School's Direct route into teaching as I don't want to chance it and end up in a school that's too far away from me.
Hi everyone,

I have my AC in 2 weeks and I am most worried about the lesson. Any tips on how to maintain control over the class, and how to deal with the actors being disruptive?
Reply 71
Hi everyone, I had my AC on the 20th August.. has anyone heard back from that yet??
Original post by Secretmouse87
Has anyone who has been offered a place, received feedback for their CKA yet? Getting a tad annoyed I had a lot of deadlines to comply with Teach First yet I'm still waiting to hear back about the CKA - its the only thing that's holding up my confirmed offer. My references have been accepted and I've passed both professional skills tests... if I don't hear back soon I'm considering applying for a School's Direct route into teaching as I don't want to chance it and end up in a school that's too far away from me.

Hello
I submitted my CKA before the start of the summer hols, and felt exactly the same! I chased, and got a very long and detailed response, which was reassuring...and passed. I’m now waiting for the conditional offer bit, having passed everything so far.
Like you, I’m concerned about knowing ASAP where I will be placed. Similarly having debate about whether to apply for alternative route, if only for assurance?
Good luck, and congratulations getting this far, it does seem like a lot of hurdles, before starting the official course!
Original post by Nomorehockey
Hello
I submitted my CKA before the start of the summer hols, and felt exactly the same! I chased, and got a very long and detailed response, which was reassuring...and passed. I’m now waiting for the conditional offer bit, having passed everything so far.
Like you, I’m concerned about knowing ASAP where I will be placed. Similarly having debate about whether to apply for alternative route, if only for assurance?
Good luck, and congratulations getting this far, it does seem like a lot of hurdles, before starting the official course!

How long roughly did it take you to get a reply for the CKA? over 6-8weeks?
Original post by Dariaandahsfan
How long roughly did it take you to get a reply for the CKA? over 6-8weeks?

9 weeks!
Just got my CKA accepted, 7 weeks after submitting it! MFL in South West :smile:
Reply 76
I’m teaching Primary in London!
Hi everyone! I have my Assesment centre on Tuesday and am really nervous about the one to one interview! Were your questions quite obviously linked to certain competencies? Can you remember any to give me an example question? 🙈
Hello

So long as you’re familiar with the competencies and have 2-3 good examples of both, you will be okay. Worth reading about the history of TF and where they operate etc.

Best wishes
Reply 79
How long did it take to hear if you would have the opportunity to attend the assessment centre? I applied about a week ago and haven't heard back yet. Also is there only an assessment centre in London?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending