The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Goldsmiths and Birkbeck, University of London

Hi!
I'm trying to choose my 5 university options and I'm struggling a bit. Would really appreciate if anyone who goes to or knows of either Birkbeck, University of London or Goldsmiths could advise me on if it's a good university, do employers see these universities as any good and just general stuff? I know it is a broad question but any information/help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
The area of London where Goldsmiths is situated is a run down shithole, the university itself is alright though.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Original post by random_matt
The area of London where Goldsmiths is situated is a run down shithole, the university itself is alright though.

I visted Goldsmiths and it looked ok but i understand that the location is pretty run down. Do you know how well the uni is regarded by employers?
Original post by hankisyl12
I visted Goldsmiths and it looked ok but i understand that the location is pretty run down. Do you know how well the uni is regarded by employers?

I couldn't answer that.
Original post by random_matt

I've been at Goldsmiths for a month. I did also think the area was a complete shithole to begin with but actually, it's not bad. The main roads are a bit tatty but there are some nice little parks and most of the residential streets away from the main roads are actually pretty nice (quiet streets, beautiful big old Victorian houses with spacious, bright rooms). There are a lot of pretty decent pubs, cafes and places to eat. Most of the pubs and cafes have live music, which is good. I've been around the area on foot at various times of night (coming back from the station after dnb club nights elsewhere in London, coming back from Goldsmiths' 24 hour library or pubs) and never felt the least bit threatened. I am a 28 year old guy though, probably different if you're a girl.
Reply 5
Original post by insouciancedward
I've been at Goldsmiths for a month. I did also think the area was a complete shithole to begin with but actually, it's not bad. The main roads are a bit tatty but there are some nice little parks and most of the residential streets away from the main roads are actually pretty nice (quiet streets, beautiful big old Victorian houses with spacious, bright rooms). There are a lot of pretty decent pubs, cafes and places to eat. Most of the pubs and cafes have live music, which is good. I've been around the area on foot at various times of night (coming back from the station after dnb club nights elsewhere in London, coming back from Goldsmiths' 24 hour library or pubs) and never felt the least bit threatened. I am a 28 year old guy though, probably different if you're a girl.

Hi Insouciancedward.. you seem really knowledgable in matters of student life. My son is 20 and has ended up in halls in Bethnal Green and all his uni mates are down in New Cross. He's pretty down about it. Do you have any suggestions as to how he might find someone to swap with? He's near Brick Lane and Shoreditch which must appeal to someone.Id be willing to help them switch.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers Jon 07976742695
Original post by jltcg
Hi Insouciancedward.. you seem really knowledgable in matters of student life. My son is 20 and has ended up in halls in Bethnal Green and all his uni mates are down in New Cross. He's pretty down about it. Do you have any suggestions as to how he might find someone to swap with? He's near Brick Lane and Shoreditch which must appeal to someone.Id be willing to help them switch.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers Jon 07976742695

Hi Jon,

As it happens, I do have some suggestions. I lived in halls for a month and moved out last Thursday. I'm a 28 year old mature student and was getting sick of being kept awake by loud, drunk kids at night.

Do you know who manages the halls where he lives, is it the 'Campus Living Village' company? Processes for leaving might be slightly different for different managing agents/companies.

Anyhow my recommendations are to read this post I wrote (about what I had to do in order to be allowed to move out of halls) in response to a similar question last night:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5650848

Here's a group your son could post in as an attempt to find somebody who might want to swap rooms (there are several on there from people who are looking to leave Goldsmiths halls which are 5 minutes walk from the campus - however, I don't imagine many Goldsmiths students will be eager to move to Bethnal Green):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/357722774305614/

I'd also suggest joining other Goldsmiths groups on Facebook (Goldsmiths 2018 freshers, Goldsmiths 2018 undergraduates etc) and advertising his room. What might be more prudent would be to find groups for whatever is the nearest university to Bethnal Green (maybe Uni of East London) and advertising it on there.

Chances are he won't find somebody who wants to swap, but might find somebody who wants to move into the room. Then the managing company would let him cancel his contract, so he's no longer liable for rent at halls.

Then some good websites for finding rooms to rent in houses/flat shares with private sector landlords are:
www.spareroom.co.uk
http://www.housing.lon.ac.uk/ (I found the room I moved into last week on there)
I have a soft spot for Birkbeck because I did an MA in history there. It's particularly good for combining work and study due to offering more courses on a part-time basis and in the evening - it therefore has more mature students than average.

Goldsmiths is more of a traditional university by contrast (people will hate me saying that!), and I'd recommend it if you are looking for a more typical university experience socially. Also, I disagree about some of the disparaging comments about this area - I have been living in New Cross for six years now and love it!

We're probably above Birkbeck in the league tables, but I honestly wouldn't look into that further than as a basic guide. What course are you looking to do?

Original post by hankisyl12
Hi!
I'm trying to choose my 5 university options and I'm struggling a bit. Would really appreciate if anyone who goes to or knows of either Birkbeck, University of London or Goldsmiths could advise me on if it's a good university, do employers see these universities as any good and just general stuff? I know it is a broad question but any information/help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending