The Student Room Group

2020 Teach First Official Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Passionprimary
I was also offered a place yesterday via telephone (1week /5 working days after the AC). However I am so upset I applied for primary and I was offered secondary. I guess the primary places have been offered out already. Which is so disappointing as it said there were vacancies available when I booked my assessment centre. I have no plans to teach secondary (or train and swop at a later date). It is my absolute dream to teach primary, i feel crushed, like the opportunity have been given to me then snatched away at the same time 😢

I was told on the phone that you can still go into primary after teaching secondary. It's much harder to go from teaching primary to secondary than it is the other way around. Honestly, if you're super passionate about teaching primary, I'd suggest that you accepted the offer and taught secondary for the two years. There's no obligation to continue teaching secondary. I'm so sorry you didn't get the offer you wanted, I can imagine you're feeling really mixed at the moment!
Wow so many offers. Well done everyone. Can you move forward to the next steps like the CKA as soon as you have your offer? Or does that come later?

I’ve also heard it’s possible to go from secondary to primary.
I was told the same as well but my passion is in training and working in primary not secondary. My previous experience also lies in primary education so I know the curriculum and all key stages very well. I do not wish to do the secondary route I wouldn't feel comfortable with the subject knowledge for the subject they have given me. Nor would I feel like I would stick the 2 years out doing secondary. I just know it is not for me. 😢
Reply 83
I was told the same as well but my passion is in training and working in primary not secondary. My previous experience also lies in primary education so I know the curriculum and all key stages very well. I do not wish to do the secondary route I wouldn't feel comfortable with the subject knowledge for the subject they have given me. Nor would I feel like I would stick the 2 years out doing secondary. I just know it is not for me. 😢

I'm so sorry you feel that way. I completely understand that this isn't what you prepared for. Have you had a call from the Teach First team yet? you could probably discuss your options with them.
Yes I am awaiting to hear back from them to discuss further. I am limited on location as I have 2 primary school aged children myself and a mortgage so this doesn't help my situation either!
Is 5 working days looking like the general consensus then? Knowing my luck it'll be 3 weeks just for a rejection :wink: it's such an exciting process though! Sad to hear all of primary is given out, as that was my choice too, although I would be quite happy with secondary x
Remember each area has a different quota for each area and subject. And if you are eligible to teach a subject that they struggle to fill they are more likely to give you that than primary, an area they don’t struggle to fill.
Original post by arco1989
Remember each area has a different quota for each area and subject. And if you are eligible to teach a subject that they struggle to fill they are more likely to give you that than primary, an area they don’t struggle to fill.

At the end of the day, we are applying to teach first because we all have goals of addressing the greatest need. If that need is in a subject we didn't originally expect, you need to be prepared to step up and teach that. I don't really mind what I'm offered, so long as I'm doing my part to raise the educational stakes in the UK! Xx
Original post by Del<3
At the end of the day, we are applying to teach first because we all have goals of addressing the greatest need. If that need is in a subject we didn't originally expect, you need to be prepared to step up and teach that. I don't really mind what I'm offered, so long as I'm doing my part to raise the educational stakes in the UK! Xx

With respect teaching primary and secondary are very different! An absolute stark contrast and if you had experience in either you would know this. It is as I feel in the best interest of the children how I have also based my decision I do not have a confident knowledge base in what they have offered me at secondary level. Therefore I would not feel confident to teach it. I would of expected my reasons to be respected on this group. Thank you.
Passionprimary my response was to the person above. But I do agree with you. I think if you feel completely uncomfortable teaching secondary you would not only be doing an injustice to yourself but the students. I hope you can get them to change you to primary
Reply 90
Yes I am awaiting to hear back from them to discuss further. I am limited on location as I have 2 primary school aged children myself and a mortgage so this doesn't help my situation either!

That's really unfortunate. Hopefully, they'll sort it out for you!
With respect teaching primary and secondary are very different! An absolute stark contrast and if you had experience in either you would know this. It is as I feel in the best interest of the children how I have also based my decision I do not have a confident knowledge base in what they have offered me at secondary level. Therefore I would not feel confident to teach it. I would of expected my reasons to be respected on this group. Thank you.

Your reasons are respected and I wasnt trying to be rude, I was referring to subject and not age group, as I was replying to the comment about subject and areas. I do have experience in both and I agree they are very different, and I wasn't directing anything at yourself. I do hope you can alter your offer to something you are more passionate about x
I was also offered a place yesterday via telephone (1week /5 working days after the AC). However I am disappointed I applied for primary and I was offered secondary. I guess the primary places have been offered out already. Which is so disappointing as it said there were vacancies available when I booked my assessment centre. I have no plans to teach secondary (or train and swop at a later date). It is my absolute dream to teach primary, i feel crushed, like the opportunity have been given to me then snatched away at the same time 😢

hey,

Can I please ask where you applied for location wise? I am hoping to teach primary (I have my assessment centre at the beginning of October) and I have ties to my location because of my mortgage!

So sorry that it hasn't worked out the way you wanted! Hopefully you can get it sorted!
I heard back on the 6th working day. The recruitment team where really helpful and gave me feedback. I got an offer for secondary English but just competing the next stage of my application.
Reply 94
Original post by rmelling07
I heard back on the 6th working day. The recruitment team where really helpful and gave me feedback. I got an offer for secondary English but just competing the next stage of my application.

Congratulations! You must be so happy!
Hello, Can see above there are other people with offers they're not paticularly happy with. I have been offered Maths in the south west, my second choice subject and 4th choice area. I understand that we're expected to fill spots that they wouldn't usually feel but this has really taken the joy out of recieving an offer as I feel I may be sacrificing my own needs just a little more than I'm willing to, I really didn't want to move far from London. Has anyone heard of people having any luck with changing area? This is certainly making me consider not taking the place.
Original post by mashpole
Hi! I got an offer today for Secondary Geography in the North West, my assessment was on 06/08 :smile:

edit: this was supposed to be a reply to someone else but feel free to reply if you also got an offer for North West geog!

Hi! I got an offer for Secondary Geography in East Midlands, yesterday as well!
Reply 97
Just got a call from the recruitment team and have been told that whilst I demonstrated most of the competencies, my lesson let me down a little in terms of how I responded to the disruptions. They're giving me the opportunity to sit it in a classroom and observe a lesson and then re-do my lesson again. After this, if all goes well, I'll receive an offer.
Original post by zeellis
Just got a call from the recruitment team and have been told that whilst I demonstrated most of the competencies, my lesson let me down a little in terms of how I responded to the disruptions. They're giving me the opportunity to sit it in a classroom and observe a lesson and then re-do my lesson again. After this, if all goes well, I'll receive an offer.

Wow that was quick. And also fantastic they’re giving you another chance seeing as you’re clearly close to perfect. Are you going to take the opportunity? How do you feel?
Reply 99
Original post by arco1989
Wow that was quick. And also fantastic they’re giving you another chance seeing as you’re clearly close to perfect. Are you going to take the opportunity? How do you feel?

I know! I'm definitely taking it - I want it so bad. I think by the end of the day I was just exhausted and let everything get on top of me. I'll happily attempt the lesson again! I honestly nearly started crying on the phone because they said "Whilst you met most of the criteria..." and I thought they were going to reject me. It was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster,, but I'm happy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending