The Student Room Group

Constant Acceleration Formulae

Could someone please help with this question? I'm really bad with this topic and just can't figure it out!

Particle moves in a straight line from A to B with constant acceleration. Particle moves from A with velocity 3ms^-1.
It reaches point B with velocity 5ms^-1 t seconds later.
One second after first particle leaves A, second particle also starts to move in a straight line from A to B with constant acceleration. Its velocity at poin A is 4ms^-1 and reaches B with velocity 8ms^-1 at the same time as first particle.
a)find the value of t
b)find the distance between A and B
Original post by JagodaRH
Could someone please help with this question? I'm really bad with this topic and just can't figure it out!

Particle moves in a straight line from A to B with constant acceleration. Particle moves from A with velocity 3ms^-1.
It reaches point B with velocity 5ms^-1 t seconds later.
One second after first particle leaves A, second particle also starts to move in a straight line from A to B with constant acceleration. Its velocity at poin A is 4ms^-1 and reaches B with velocity 8ms^-1 at the same time as first particle.
a)find the value of t
b)find the distance between A and B

I'd start by laying out the information you know, s,u,v,a,t. for each particle - note some of the information for the first particle is linked to that of the second. In each case you know u,v. s is the same for each. And the times are linked. a's are unknown.

Since the distances are the same, you want to look to get an equation for s for the first particle and equate it to an equation for s for the second, and solve for t. Etc.

Have a go and post working if you get stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
I'd start by laying out the information you know, s,u,v,a,t. for each particle - note some of the information for the first particle is linked to that of the second. In each case you know u,v. s is the same for each. And the times are linked. a's are unknown.

Since the distances are the same, you want to look to get an equation for s for the first particle and equate it to an equation for s for the second, and solve for t. Etc.

Have a go and post working if you get stuck.

okay thank you so much for the help! But why is u and v the same for each particle if the question states different velocities?
Original post by JagodaRH
okay thank you so much for the help! But why is u and v the same for each particle if the question states different velocities?

They're not, it's clearer if I put the two sentences on different lines. The lowercase "s" makes it look as if the sentence continues when it doesn't.

In each case you know u,v.
s is the same for each.
And the times are linked.
a's are unknown.
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
They're not, it's clearer if I put the two sentences on different lines. The lowercase "s" makes it look as if the sentence continues when it doesn't.

In each case you know u,v.
s is the same for each.
And the times are linked.
a's are unknown.

Ahhh okay! Thank you so much :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest