The Student Room Group

I don’t understand this question

A particle P moves from point A to point B with constant acceleration
(ci + dj) ms^2, where c and d are positive constants. The velocity of P at A is (-3i - 3j) ms and the velocity of P at B is (2i + 9j m s'. The magnitude of the acceleration of P is 2.6 ms^2.
Find the value of c and the value of d.
Original post by banana_22xx
A particle P moves from point A to point B with constant acceleration
(ci + dj) ms^2, where c and d are positive constants. The velocity of P at A is (-3i - 3j) ms and the velocity of P at B is (2i + 9j m s'. The magnitude of the acceleration of P is 2.6 ms^2.
Find the value of c and the value of d.

As per TSR policies, I cannot give you a direct answer. All I can do is drop hints.

Acceleration = speed/time

Acceleration is constant, so no differentiation is required and velocity is linear

Velocity graphs are different to acceleration graphs

Magnitude implies square roots

Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
As per TSR policies, I cannot give you a direct answer. All I can do is drop hints.

Acceleration is not speed/time. Acceleration is change in velocitytime\dfrac{\text{change in velocity}}{\text{time}}.

To the OP: what is it in the question you don't understand? [Note: if you don't understand how to answer the question, that is something different from not understanding the question. If so, just say so, it's fine, but at the moment we don't know what your problem actually is].
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000

Acceleration is constant, so no differentiation is required and velocity is linear

Velocity graphs are different to acceleration graphs

Magnitude implies square roots

So how would I work out this question? I still don’t quite understand
Reply 4
Original post by banana_22xx
So how would I work out this question? I still don’t quite understand

Hint: Let T be the time it takes to get from A to B. Find the acceleration in terms of T.

Then use the given magnitude of the acceleration to find what T is.

Quick Reply

Latest