The Student Room Group

How much do you spend on clothes in a year?

Hello, I'm feeling rather guilty as I have just sat and spent £700 on clothes in one sitting. I was wondering if this was a fairly normal thing and validation to see if I have been an idiot or just forward-thinking.

How much do you spend a year on clothing? I probably spend around £1500.

My purchases were:
2 Vivienne Westwood Jumpers: £120 (Depop)
1 Vivienne Westwood Tee: £30 (Depop)
1 Vivienne Westwood polo: £45 (Depop)
Gym Shark gear: £90
House of Fraser: £300
Nike Air Max 97s £100
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexTaylorr
Hello, I'm feeling rather guilty as I have just sat and spent £700 on clothes in one sitting. I was wondering if this was a fairly normal thing and validation to see if I have been an idiot or just forward-thinking.

How much do you spend a year on clothing?

My purchases were:
Nike Air Max 97s £100

It depends on your budget and your interests. If you think that you will get a lot of use from these items and you are stable financially-wise, then the spending is ok. However, the fact that you are questioning these recent purchases makes me think that maybe it wasn't the right thing for you?

How much do you spend a year on clothing?

My purchases were:
Nike Air Max 97s £100

I spend more than that so I wouldn’t worry.
After all we’re only young, so we might as well spend our money on designer before we have to pay mortgages and bills 😂
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
It depends on your budget and your interests. If you think that you will get a lot of use from these items and you are stable financially-wise, then the spending is ok. However, the fact that you are questioning these recent purchases makes me think that maybe it wasn't the right thing for you?

I mean, I'm a first-year with around £600 PM disposable income with not much to spend it on. I can afford it but I just feel as if I go a bit mad lmao, wondering what others spend!
I mean, I'm a first-year with around £600 PM disposable income with not much to spend it on. I can afford it but I just feel as if I go a bit mad lmao, wondering what others spend!

Is that from working or parents giving you money/student loan?
Reply 5
Original post by Kavala
Is that from working or parents giving you money/student loan?

From my loan, I get 0 from my parents but starting a job in June over the summer hopefully.

If you feel you really needed those items and you have the budget to do so, then it's fine. I don't usually buy clothes too frequently, only at various points during the year if I see something I really like or I need something. The last time I ordered clothes online was a £50 order from Uniqlo (after voucher).
Reply 7
I probably spent less than £150 on clothes last year.
I spent £200 on clothes last year.
Somewhere between £200-£500.

How much do you spend a year on clothing? I probably spend around £1500.

My purchases were:
Nike Air Max 97s £100

£700!!!!

I haven’t even spent that much myself!
Probably over £1k a year
Reply 12
I spent like a hundred quid last year on clothes and that was kind of unusual
oh and I bought a coat as well
Original post by Sinnoh
I spent like a hundred quid last year on clothes and that was kind of unusual
oh and I bought a coat as well

Omg, I spend a lot compared to others on here🤭. I only use profits from investments though
ive shopped alot.. its kinda an addiction ive spent over 1000 dollars this school year on cloths and jewelry... :frown:
Original post by carrotlover
ive shopped alot.. its kinda an addiction ive spent over 1000 dollars this school year on cloths and jewelry... :frown:

Same, I only wear designer clothes and I needed work clothes for interviews. It’s worth it imo
Reply 16
Maybe £100 in total over a whole year. I don’t buy clothes very often and I only buy at cheap clothiers like H&M or Primark. Anything more upstreet is too expensive in my opinion. The most I’d spend on a jumper or a pair of trousers is £10-£15, and probably £3-£5 on some T-shirts.
Original post by Kavala
Same, I only wear designer clothes and I needed work clothes for interviews. It’s worth it imo

bro i dont even wear designer i try to coupon and save the most money so i can buy even more.. i just buy so much i- literally 2 months ago i spent 350 dollars on over 20 things... i got a PROBLEM.. i just spent 160 on custom shoes last and a shirt just last week and abt to spend 96 on another pair of shoes which i got coupons that made it cheaper they were original 128😔 it is worth it i love online shopping its like Christmas
Original post by Deggs_14
Maybe £100 in total over a whole year. I don’t buy clothes very often and I only buy at cheap clothiers like H&M or Primark. Anything more upstreet is too expensive in my opinion. The most I’d spend on a jumper or a pair of trousers is £10-£15, and probably £3-£5 on some T-shirts.

Wow! I recently spent over £100 on one pair of jeans
Reply 19
Original post by Kavala
Wow! I recently spent over £100 on one pair of jeans

Wow. What brand are they?

Quick Reply

Latest