The Student Room Group

what do university students wear usually?

as the header says, im not sure what uni students wear. i see so many people on tiktok and pinterest wearing expensive branded clothes and bags, how common is this actually? even if it doesnt matter, i dont want to become an outcast for not dressing well.
Reply 1
Not that common. You will see your fair share of rich people but most are trying to dress comfortably for the day as time on campus is quite draining.

The only deomgraphic that's largely made up of people in expensive clothing are international students, they usually come from money and their fees can be up to 25k per year.

Don't stress about this and dress in a way that makes you feel happy and comfortable.Nobody is going to ostracise you for your clothes and if they do then they're going to be abosoltely terrible people.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
as the header says, im not sure what uni students wear. i see so many people on tiktok and pinterest wearing expensive branded clothes and bags, how common is this actually? even if it doesnt matter, i dont want to become an outcast for not dressing well.

You wont have any problems as everyone is so different. My eldest, shes like into skater skirts, tights and tops with a frilly collar, wheres my youngest who starts uni this year has a tattoo purple hair, baggy jeans and a hoodie. Ignore the people on tiktok, they often have brand deals anyway and got the stuff for nothing. As long as you a) keep your self clean hygiene wise, b) dont go studying in your pj's, and c) dont have anything too revealing its po***graphic,d) no offensive slogans, then your good :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Hi Anon!

Like others have mentioned, there is no specific uniform for students. What's seen on TikTok may not accurately reflect the rest of students at university,

In certain circumstances, some courses may require a certain dress code to be worn, for example, at Huddersfield, the Pharmacy team require students to wear smart-wear for certain timetabled sessions.
However, generally, there is no particular uniform that students have to adhere to.

Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
I thought I’d dress really well at uni but I ended up wearing charity shop clothing. Not to say charity shop clothing is bad but the clothes I had were just really comfy rather than cute. But comfort over cute anyday
Generally speaking jeans hoodies and shoes usually trainers or similar if it’s hot shorts (depending on how hot it it is) t shirts and some times sanders or flip flops personally I feel that was a bit too casual but maybe that’s just me I know some of the (outdoor adventure management and the water sports students often wore them quite a lot.) . Basically what you wear at collage or when not in school will be fine.
Reply 6
No one cares as long as it’s not too revealing or rude
Hi Anon!

To echo what has been said below, there is no dress code for university and everyone is so different - wear what you're comfortable in (you might also find that you develop a new style as you get settled into university life!). Tiktok definitely isn't a reflection of the majority of real life :smile:

Thank you,
Jess @ ARU
Hi there
I wear literally anything for uni, there is no rules!
Most people wear clothes they feel helps expresses themselves or clothes that are just comfy!
If I have 8 hours of lectures I’ll definitely go for something I can sit in the warm lecture halls for a long time!

Best wishes
Emily <3
Reply 9
Whatever you're comfortable in - stuff you'd usually wear at the weekends etc.

The aim of those tiktoks is views, so its not *really* an accurate day in the life. As long as you don't properly stink or wear fluffy fairy wings n such, nobody will bat an eye - unless that's your aim, then crack on!

You'll probably notice most people wear pretty much the same outfit every day, so don't sweat it
(edited 10 months ago)

Hi there,

It’s a good question to ask when starting. First off, don’t believe TikTok and Pinterest. I’ve seen the same videos and pictures as you and can say I have seen very few people who bother dressing up for university. Its nice for some people to make the extra effort but its really not a regular thing. I would recommend dressing comfortably and how you usually would. You might be going from lecture to lecture and spending the whole day on campus, so you want to be wearing something comfy. I’ve personally seen more people rocking up to lectures in pyjama pants and sliders than I have designer clothes.

Hope this helped!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Hey there!
Usually to be honest, most people make an effort for the first week and by the next week they're in sweats and a messy bun. My advice to you is to invest in some basics. Get some plain t-shirts you can dress up with different things. There's definitely not the pressure on university students to dress well like there was with highschool/secondary school mentality. No one really cares what you wear. I started off wearing jeans with a basic t shirt but honestly I could think of nothing worse now than to sit in a hot lecture theatre in jeans. I always go for joggers and a racer vest top with some trainers. The people who show what they're wearing on TikTok, only do so to gain traction on the videos. I doubt they actually dress like that on a day to day. A little secret is sometimes (not all the time) they'll just put the outfits together and try them on on the same day. It won't actually be what they wore in the week. Please don't be worried about what anyone else thinks, it's not the same vibe at university.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador
Hey,

This is a really great question before starting Uni I wanted to know the exact same thing. Lucy gave some really great tips ie investing in some basic pieces T-shirts, jumpers etc. I made an effort in my first week then just didn't bother as much! Jeans/leggings and then a top/jumper is what I usually wear to lectures

I would just say wear whatever you feel most confident and happy in

Rebecca YSJ Student Ambassador :smile:
birthday suit or gtfo
Reply 14

I'm not in uni yet but my college is mixed with uni students and I never see them wear anything fancy tbh. maybe an occasional designer bag from the girls but I have only seen that twice. dress how you like & in what makes you feel confident.

Hey there!
I'd say wear whatever you feel comfortable in as you will likely be sat for a while. I usually just wear leggings or jeans and a hoodie with trainers for attending university. I prefer to be comfy so I don't dress up much.

You don't need to wear branded clothes and this definitely won't make you an outcast. At my university, nobody really cares what you wear and I have never felt judgement even if I turn up in a tracksuit, as it is pretty common for people to just rock up wearing whatever. The TikTok videos of uni outfits aren't very accurate, obviously come people make an effort with their outfits, but more often than not, people dress very casually, so don't worry too much!

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hey,

This is a really great question before starting Uni I wanted to know the exact same thing. Lucy gave some really great tips ie investing in some basic pieces T-shirts, jumpers etc. I made an effort in my first week then just didn't bother as much! Jeans/leggings and then a top/jumper is what I usually wear to lectures

I would just say wear whatever you feel most confident and happy in

Rebecca YSJ Student Ambassador :smile:

Hi
So agree with this :smile: uni is new and scary just wear something you will feel amazing in

Emily
Original post by rawrwulf
I'm not in uni yet but my college is mixed with uni students and I never see them wear anything fancy tbh. maybe an occasional designer bag from the girls but I have only seen that twice. dress how you like & in what makes you feel confident.

Hi
I think defo depends what course you’re in actually! I’ve noticed people in fashions outfits are crazyyyy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending