The Student Room Group

10 Tips to Stay Warm this Winter

Hey there ! If you’re reading this first of all a major congratulations on making it this far in the academic year. Whether this is your 1st , 2nd , 3rd or masters year , this time of year is tough on all of us. We have deadlines , a ton of course work to keep up with and on most days it’s cold or wet or both. At least it’s the festive season and the city lights bring a little bit of joy , continue reading if you need some tips for the winter blues .

As an international student from a country that has a tropical climate this time of year ,it is tough on me because at home I would be at the beach . The idea of a snowy Christmas is beautiful but in my opinion very cold and it took me two years to figure out how to enjoy this festive season. So here are some of the things I’d advise you to try :

1.) Blankets ! Blankets ! Blankets !
As I mentioned before it is freezing this time of year and staying warm is imperative to surviving this season. Whether you are in private accommodation , uni accommodation or sharing a house with friends there is a limit to how long you can keep your radiator on without having to pay an arm and a leg. Home bargains have some really good thermal blankets at affordable prices , if you’re willing to spend a little extra John Lewis’ everyday range also has some good blankets.

2.) Hot water bottle
The only way I can get comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep once the radiator is off , is if I snuggle a big fuzzy water bottle . It keeps my bed warm a few minutes before I go to bed and keeps me cosy for a few hours . There are a few places you can get affordable ones including : Costco , Primark and Home bargains.

3.) Hot chocolate ☕️
To avoid spending too much money at Starbucks , grab yourself a cheap flask or thermal mug and make your own hot chocolate before you leave the house. It is so much cheaper than grabbing something on campus and if you’re a fan of coffee you can get your coffee fix to get through those winter lectures .

4.) Quality umbrella
The other day the umbrella I got from sport direct broke on my way home , to be honest it was pretty cheap but now I’ve ordered one from Etsy. Cost me 20 quid but it was worth it , I’ll keep this one for years. Everyone needs a goods umbrella.

5.) Socks , Jacket , Thermal vest etc.
Warm clothes are a must to make it through the early morning classes. Thermal vests at sports direct are amazing and on sale at the moment. Next has some good jackets and Socks you can get from anywhere .

Now that you know how best to keep warm this winter , here are some fun things you can get up to over the winter break.

6.) Christmas market 🎄🌲🎅🏾
Finding a Christmas near you , the Birmingham one is the closest to Leicester but if you can winter wonderland in London is amazing if you can.

7.) Ice skating
Can’t go through winter without going ice skating , this is an absolute must. All cities have a place you can go. Dress warm and enjoy ! Try Jubilee square ice rink in Leicester and you can also go on the Christmas wheel of light.

8.) Carol service
DMU had their annual carol service this past week but there are many carol services happening such as the one at HTL church.

9.) Santa in the square 🎅🏾
If you are a child at heart like me , pop into town hall square to see Santa and request a shopping spree this Christmas.

10.) Enlightened Leicester trail
I haven’t gone yet but I’m really looking forward going to the outdoor light trail in abbey park. It seems like magical experience and can’t wait to go.

I hope this helps you get through the winter blues .
PS: feel free to share some other things to do this winter. 💛

Cece
Engineering Student
De Montfort University
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there ! If you’re reading this first of all a major congratulations on making it this far in the academic year. Whether this is your 1st , 2nd , 3rd or masters year , this time of year is tough on all of us. We have deadlines , a ton of course work to keep up with and on most days it’s cold or wet or both. At least it’s the festive season and the city lights bring a little bit of joy , continue reading if you need some tips for the winter blues .

As an international student from a country that has a tropical climate this time of year ,it is tough on me because at home I would be at the beach . The idea of a snowy Christmas is beautiful but in my opinion very cold and it took me two years to figure out how to enjoy this festive season. So here are some of the things I’d advise you to try :

As I mentioned before it is freezing this time of year and staying warm is imperative to surviving this season. Whether you are in private accommodation , uni accommodation or sharing a house with friends there is a limit to how long you can keep your radiator on without having to pay an arm and a leg. Home bargains have some really good thermal blankets at affordable prices , if you’re willing to spend a little extra John Lewis’ everyday range also has some good blankets.

2.) Hot water bottle
The only way I can get comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep once the radiator is off , is if I snuggle a big fuzzy water bottle . It keeps my bed warm a few minutes before I go to bed and keeps me cosy for a few hours . There are a few places you can get affordable ones including : Costco , Primark and Home bargains.

3.) Hot chocolate ☕️
To avoid spending too much money at Starbucks , grab yourself a cheap flask or thermal mug and make your own hot chocolate before you leave the house. It is so much cheaper than grabbing something on campus and if you’re a fan of coffee you can get your coffee fix to get through those winter lectures .

4.) Quality umbrella
The other day the umbrella I got from sport direct broke on my way home , to be honest it was pretty cheap but now I’ve ordered one from Etsy. Cost me 20 quid but it was worth it , I’ll keep this one for years. Everyone needs a goods umbrella.

Warm clothes are a must to make it through the early morning classes. Thermal vests at sports direct are amazing and on sale at the moment. Next has some good jackets and Socks you can get from anywhere .

Now that you know how best to keep warm this winter , here are some fun things you can get up to over the winter break.

Finding a Christmas near you , the Birmingham one is the closest to Leicester but if you can winter wonderland in London is amazing if you can.

7.) Ice skating
Can’t go through winter without going ice skating , this is an absolute must. All cities have a place you can go. Dress warm and enjoy ! Try Jubilee square ice rink in Leicester and you can also go on the Christmas wheel of light.

8.) Carol service
DMU had their annual carol service this past week but there are many carol services happening such as the one at HTL church.

If you are a child at heart like me , pop into town hall square to see Santa and request a shopping spree this Christmas.

I haven’t gone yet but I’m really looking forward going to the outdoor light trail in abbey park. It seems like magical experience and can’t wait to go.

Cece
Engineering Student
Demontfort University

Some great advice Cece!

Being from North of Scotland I should be use to the cold weather by now but can confirm I still freeze this time of year.

Hot water bottles are one of my top essentials and glad they made the list !

I'd also recommend hand warmers - you can get electric portable ones and also reusable and disposable. They have been a true lifesaver when waiting in ques, public transport and for just having them in my pockets.

Wearing tights under clothes can help add an extra layer, similar to thermals.

I'd always recommend packing some back up socks - for extra layering and also incase your feet get wet !

It can be a hard choice for many this time of year deciding if to put the heating on. I'd say regardless of whether it is on or not prioritise staying warm because if your cold you are often more likely to get sick and it can also make your mind tired which all impacts your studies. My motto this time of year is wrap up warm - yes it may not always be the most fashionable but it keeps me warm and able to enjoy the festivities this time of year.
Catherine- University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Some great advice Cece!

Being from North of Scotland I should be use to the cold weather by now but can confirm I still freeze this time of year.

Hot water bottles are one of my top essentials and glad they made the list !

I'd also recommend hand warmers - you can get electric portable ones and also reusable and disposable. They have been a true lifesaver when waiting in ques, public transport and for just having them in my pockets.

Wearing tights under clothes can help add an extra layer, similar to thermals.

I'd always recommend packing some back up socks - for extra layering and also incase your feet get wet !

It can be a hard choice for many this time of year deciding if to put the heating on. I'd say regardless of whether it is on or not prioritise staying warm because if your cold you are often more likely to get sick and it can also make your mind tired which all impacts your studies. My motto this time of year is wrap up warm - yes it may not always be the most fashionable but it keeps me warm and able to enjoy the festivities this time of year.
Catherine- University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Thank you Catherine ,
How could I forget the hand warmers , I agree they are a winter essential.
Would you like to share any fun things students can get up to during the winter break ?
I've never been to Scotland , maybe you could convince me to travel up north in the future .

Cece
DeMontfort University

2.) Hot water bottle

3.) Hot chocolate ☕️

4.) Quality umbrella

7.) Ice skating

8.) Carol service

Cece
Engineering Student
De Montfort University

Hi Cece,

These are some great tips!

I'm currently on a year abroad in Montana, USA, which as you can imagine gets quite cold! Here are some things I think are key:

Find good quality blankets, clothes, and thermals - they don't have to be the most expensive, but finding something thick, warm, fluffy, and something that can be layered is perfect for this season. Remember to have slippers, fluffy socks, and a nice robe in your accommodation too, as it is just as important to keep warm indoors. Don't forget scarfs, gloves, and hats too!

Hand warmers, electric blankets, and hot water bottles are also great options for both at home and on the go - there are definitely some cheaper options out there if you are on a budget.

Stock up on warm foods and drink - canned soups, tea bags, and coffee are great to keep close by if you are able to make it in your own accommodation. If you have to leave your accommodation to get food from the dining hall or local shop, make sure to wrap up warm. I would always take a couple tea bags and something for breakfast to keep in my room for when I don't feel like venturing out on extra cold days!

The winter blues can impact us all, so remember to take some time for yourself and do something you enjoy. Maybe see family and friends, grab a warm drink, go to a Christmas market, or try a festive event! I absolutely love going to local events and spending quality time with friends at this time of year, whether that be indoors or outdoors. Whatever you choose to do - enjoy! 🙂

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

2.) Hot water bottle

3.) Hot chocolate ☕️

4.) Quality umbrella

7.) Ice skating

8.) Carol service

Cece
Engineering Student
De Montfort University

Hey, I love the idea of this thread!

Heated blankets are something I've found recently that are great for keeping you warm at night and they make your bed so much cosier! I've seen some places that do heated throws as well now which seem like a great idea! On a similar idea, investing in a hot water bottle is also a great idea!

When I'm going out (especially at night) I always layer up with scarfs or tights to keep you warm! At home, you can never have enough fluffy socks to keep you cosy!

For when you're walking to and from uni, invest in a good flask as a hot brew on the go makes those early morning walks so much easier! I love taking a coffee with me to keep me warm on the walk in!

There are some great ideas on this thread already - especially the hand warmers! I can't wait to see everyone else's idea's!

-Rebecca, 4th Year UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending